Posted: Dec 24th 2011 1:38AM Fuzzz said

undeniably the hugest mmo launch in a long time. But the only thing that really stands out is the voiceacting, it has great story, hours on end, but that doesn't really make it a great achievement for video game industry def not one of the greatest.
now it does bring some new things to the table, but that is only the mmo table, in which case they should have said mmo industry. And still I'd argue that it is some of the greatest, perhaps I'd rather say minor achievements for the video game industry

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 2:03AM kosmik said

There is nothing ambitious about it, how insulting. What exactly happened to Bioware? Oh, I know.. it's that time they whored out to Evil Arts. Oh Biowhore, you so silly.

Ambitious is changing the model, making a sacrifice by not copying mainstream elements to be "safe". They copied their very well-established Kotor/Mass Effect model of 'story' and threw it into an online game. Awesome? Sure, to some it's amazing, and I dare say I've enjoyed some of the story myself. One of the greatest and most ambitious titles ever? Um, no.

I would say... The Secret World is ambitious. EVE Online was monstrously ambitious. Fallen Earth was ambitious. I know of many more games that were "ambitious", and they all had a distinct soul of originality, a feeling, a passion that was evident to even the most casual onlooker. I don't get that feeling with TOR.

There is nothing original in TOR, it's a total knock-off of the mainstream "themepark" model that everyone hates. The feeling I get is... money. Copping out by using an ugly, archaic licensed engine, totally lazy and a huge missed opportunity with such an insane budget.

Last but not least, latching on to a gargantuan, over-bloated licensed monstrosity, aka Star Wars, when you have an original and ripe IP known as Mass Effect, that is only leashed to Bioware/EA themselves. Now they're leashed to Mr. Lucas, and they had to destroy SWG just to satiate his greed.

So many things are ugly about this game. I get into it sometimes, but after an hour, I just find myself wincing at the whole thing, kind of disappointed or shocked really.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 11:59AM Cyroselle said

@kosmik Fallen Earth is /still/ ambitious. It's just that their development cycle's been scaled back a bit to accommodate a crew of 12, but they are still vying for their game fiercely and continue to make improvements. Heck, the devs just rebuilt the capitol (still learning place-names) of S1 from the ground up to improve player FPS.

It's funny actually. I beta tested SWTOR before I gave FE a try, and since I had decided I would give TOR a few months to smooth itself out before trying the retail version, so I needed something to do.

I gave FE a whirl...and immediately began comparing it to TOR, and I found TOR lacking. Fallen Earth came out in 2009, so this really surprised me!

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 2:03AM claytondora said

I love it. To all the angry nerds out there, the Doctor Mario Bros. over at Bioware are sipping fine champagne and are probably going on vacation for the next six months. Analysts are saying the game has sold between 1 and 1.5 million units. Say they sold 1.5 million, and not a copy more, ever; They would have already made 90 Million dollars. if only a third of those players stay, 500,000, they will have broke even in under 3 years (the game cost around 300,000,000. Those are extremely conservative numbers by the way. Its quite likely that the game will sell many more copies than it has in the first week, and that more than 500,000 players will stay subbed.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 2:12AM Borick said

@claytondora And in this economy, that signals FAIL.

If they can make their money back in two years, that means they put their money on the wrong horse.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 2:23AM kosmik said

@claytondora

Ah yes. The, "I already got your money dude." approach to entertainment and ambition.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 2:53AM Knuckledust said

@claytondora You are just a fanboy which can't analyze the real situation, most likely. I have not seen ANY drop in WoW or Rift or any mainstream game's population due to SWTOR launch, at all. The game they said would be killed, is actually rising each day, and opening more and more servers, with 8 years of content on their shoulders to keep players PLAYING. SWTOR is a WoW mod with lightsabers and futuristic guns, really. Just try both. Besides having awfully bad designed UI and annoying to the bones voice acting/cutscenes, which you will be pressing spacebar within 2 hours of gameplay, its nothing more than that. /rant

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 2:27AM (Unverified) said

Mass Effect 2 is biggest Bioware's triumph. SW:ToR is just mediocre MMO, one of many

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 3:03AM (Unverified) said

Let's be real, the voice acting is pretty great, and I suppose the fortune dropped into TOR for such a minimal return certainly qualifies as being ambitious, but that blurb is extremely as pretentious as I would expect from a company that banned Dragon Age 2 players from their single-player games for criticizing the game on their forums. Just within the past year there were two of these huge VG achievements: WoW's third expansion sold 4m+ in one day, and a single-player RPG with likely less overall public appeal, Skyrim, sold 3.4m within two days. Granted sales aren't always everything, but since Bioware's pulling out the "our numbers are bigger" game, I suppose it's fair to compare.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 3:03AM (Unverified) said

I also want to say that I'd wager if Blizzard released the number of angel ponies they sold, Bioware would soil itself.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 3:06AM jimr9999us said

It's a huge, huge game.

Why not and eat some popcorn once in awhile? not everything needs to be locally grown organic lacinato kale.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 3:10AM (Unverified) said

Riiiiight until Guild Wars 2 is released, and then SWTOR will be second. Sorry just stating the facts.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 3:14AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Riiiight, until Guild Wars 2 is released, then SWTOR will be second, sorry gotta point out the facts here.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 3:20AM Sorithal said

Them saying that for their own game that hasn't even been out a whole month yet is... really nothing worth paying attention to.

Sure, it's got some innovation I guess. Otherwise, it sounds like it's similar to RIFT where it took a lot of WoW's elements, then added their own unique stuff to make it even better.

In terms of voice-acting, it sure is ambitious. Otherwise? Eh...

I'd rather see how Guild Wars 2 performs considering it's much more ambitious in terms of actual gameplay.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 3:30AM Oranuro said

/golfclap
/golfclap
/golfclap
/golfclap

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 4:05AM Norcii said

The only reason for it's great success is IP, period. In terms of innovation, technology or gameplay it is nothing new.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 4:26AM Snichy said

@Norcii. Strange, I don't consider this to be a game about a large IP. Yeah sure, it has Star Wars on the box and the occasional distinctive sounds of a lightsabre, but other than that I see NOTHING relating to Star Wars in the game at all and just consider it to be a solid AAA Sci-Fi MMORPG. Shame, becuase I would love an MMO based on Sar Wars but I see nothing of Star Wars in this game really.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 3:32PM Mystal said

@Snichy Yea, its not related to Star Wars at all, except for the setting, characters, images, sounds, music and visual elements.

Once you take all of that stuff away, it's indistinguishable from any other World of Warcraft clone.

I assume that's what you meant to say.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 4:19AM Wensbane said

Good… good. The arrogance is strong with you. A powerful Sith you will become.

Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth… Ware.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 4:20AM Snichy said

Ridiculous statement. Surely people don't believe this kind of propaganda any more? I've lost a little bit of respect for Bioware after them saying this. The obvious back-slapping and ego-stroking should be saved for when the bugs and flaws in the game are resolved and they have achieved more than 10% of the players of their largest rival.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM