Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 3:12PM Irem said

@(Unverified)
...Wow.

Is this the wrong time to say I think Tom Hardy makes a great Bane?

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 4:39PM Lenn said

@(Unverified) Nolan's Batman movies are much more grounded in reality than Burton's or (barf) Schumacher's. The comic book Bane would look so out of place in a Nolan Batman it's not funny anymore.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 3:07PM (Unverified) said

I had very good times in LOTRO, but they're old times that are gone and the world has moved on. I am my happiest in an MMO when the environment is new, the players are new, and everything feels alive, festive, 'bustling" and real spontaneous player-driven adventure is at every turn. For me, those days in LOTRO were good, but they're gone now and I accept it with fond memories.

Every MMO goes through this "new" stage. Its the time when in a lot of ways the game is not at its best. Buggy, class imbalances, players using mechanics in ways the developer did not intend for them to, Monsters not dumbed down yet, everyone under-greared ... but for me this is what makes it amazing. I love doing the unexpected, I love it when everyone is active and making the world feel populated (not hidden in some instanced dungeon), i love hard monsters, and I most of all love a real and true adventure.

I have fond memories of FFXI in its beginning, as well as WoW in its vanilla days, EQ2 was a blast when it was released, I LOVED Rift the first two months it was out (fantastic fun with everyone all over public rifts having a blast). LOTRO is there as well in my mind, and I love their starting areas (the shire in particular) back when everyone was experiencing them for the first time.

The sad reality is that MMOs age. Some of this age comes from people hitting level caps, some of it comes from developer adjustments and expansions that head in a way the players don't exactly like, some of it comes from the wealth of knowledge that explodes onto the internet as the clueless get their free-ride from Wiki sites.

LOTRO had its day, it was a good day, and days I think of fondly. But those days are done.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 3:22PM Space Cobra said

They can and they do.

I think when "The Hobbit" is released, you will get more people visiting the MMO, new players certainly, but probably a tad bit more older players returning.

Even when you have a similar "thing" out there, be it a movie or a clip or a TV show or just a scene or even something like a toy or candy bar, people may connect and remember and log in.

Really, "any publicity is good publicity" and that goes for things seemingly unrelated but with the same theme.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 5:35PM Lenn said

Turbine would be foolish to pass up the opportunity to finish up Mirkwood and put the Lonely Mountain in the game. Even though the events in The Hobbit are long over, they could have the players live through some of them by way of session play.

Posted: Jan 4th 2012 12:01AM Lumin said

Generally, no. Seeing epic movie trailers might inspire me to play a game I'm currently already playing, but it won't make me any more likely to play a game that I have quit, especially if I quit that game on hard feelings.

Why I Play: ArcheAge

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 12:00PM

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM