Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 12:17AM JuliusSeizure said

Wait, an MMO where the game world will be an exact representation of the area it covers, not a reduced version with a few major landmarks and only a mere smattering of verisimilitude? I am shocked!

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 1:23AM Saker said

@(Unverified) buzzkill!

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 1:25AM Saker said

@JuliusSeizure I'm with you! I've looked at the world this is based on, the pen&paper setting. It's got tremendous depth and history, I wish these people the very best (as I'd love to play in this world!). More power to the indies!!!

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 2:33AM JuliusSeizure said

@(Unverified)

They're not so indie that they can't do it, I think. They're being very smart about it all, plus they have a good bit of capital from Paizo, I reckon.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 1:28AM Saker said

Having looked at their website, and seen what they show - and the map of the Phila area they used as a reference (having lived there myself a couple years), I'm perfectly ok with the large area they're talking about! Best of luck to them in this en-devour! Look forward to hearing more of exactly what the game mechanics they're looking to use will be. Levels/classes/skills/races? Tell me more!

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 1:51AM Sam not Spam said

Seems interesting; their overall business/gameplan is certainly achievable. What is their target number of players at launch? 4,500? And they point out that Philadelphia is a comparably sized area. I think they're thinking logically, and even drawing from EVE is pretty darn spiffy, methinks.

I'm following Goblinworks less because of the game than the business plan. This is fascinating stuff.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 2:50AM Yuri said

Looking forward to seeing where this goes. Paizo has done good work with the direction of the the Pathfinder RPG, and I like what I hear so far from Goblinworks. I'll be waiting for this game to launch.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 3:14AM Valkenr said

These guys have the right idea, and there are thousands of players itching for a good sandbox game. And if things are go as they are saying they should be hitting the tail end of the TOR wave.

Hopefully the staggered launch doesn't cause more harm than good.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 3:56AM Jeromai said

Worth keeping an eye on. The core gameplay itself is the key to their business plan, and time will tell if they get it right. Of the sandboxes I've seen, only Eve has what you might call a very respectable population. Things like Darkfall, A Tale in the Desert, Wurm Online are thin and skeletal by comparison, I'm not precisely sure why, maybe the latter three are too narrow and focused on a certain type of activity while Eve has more of a mix.

All the sandboxes seem to require heavy time investment and hardcore committment to get something out of the game though.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 3:56AM Rialle said

I am intrigued by this idea. Skeptical, but intrigued.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 2:03PM Dunraven said

Sorry the Emberth forest area is much more interesting I think. This game will live or die by who they bring into the fold from Piazio. Th have some decent folks but they also have a few of the biggest Talentless assholes in the PnP industry. If they keep folks like Sean K Reynolds far far away the game might make it.