Posted: Dec 21st 2011 1:16PM (Unverified) said

I REALLY want this game to be the game it was meant to be. I'm definitely seeing the improvements over time, especially over the last couple months, so I'm hopeful it gets there soon.

It's really too bad we won't see the 2.0 for almost a year!

Posted: Dec 21st 2011 1:18PM Alkalyne said

At one point before release, I really wanted to try this game. Commitments and time pushed that back a bit, and by the time i was ready to give it a shot, the letters from the company apologizing for the state of the game, as well as reports from friends with whom I share similar tastes in games both discouraged me, and so I waited more. Flopping between F2P and Subs, is it going to be instanced or not, UI changes, all that, is it still worth it now? Will it be better in 2012? Maybe I'll look at it then, but honestly games like GW2 seem to have a better direction and handle on what they want to accomplish.

Posted: Dec 21st 2011 3:04PM foomchee said

• Half a heart
Please just LET.... IT... DIE.....

There are so many better options out there it pains me to see this game continue to flounder. At the very least if they do truely believe in the product please pull it off the shelf and work it out completely before asking people to sub.

Posted: Dec 21st 2011 3:29PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Shoot this horse, don't play this game.

Boycott SE

Posted: Dec 21st 2011 4:14PM Raikulxox said

Playing as my main game atm, and have a class at max level with 2 mostly there. The game itself is for a niche audience IMO, like how FFXI was. XI has the same clunky UI, server waiting times between actions, blinking when changing gear, etc, but it held all of it's subs for a reason.

I think once XIV launches the 2.0 with those minor annoyances fixed, the game will hold a healthy subscriber base. No other game lets you play all classes on one character that has such an emphasis on crafters and storylines.

Posted: Dec 21st 2011 4:26PM TortoiseCan said

I'd probably try this game out if it's free.. But no way am I going to go buy a boxed copy of it, then pay a subscription fee

Posted: Dec 21st 2011 5:22PM Laren said

Did Elliot get tired of ffxiv finally? Is that why we get a new editor posting these? I guess you guys will keep doing this so long as we keep clicking on them...

Posted: Dec 21st 2011 5:45PM Joshinu said

Final Fantasy 14 had a really great chance to be an awesome game but it fell flat due to the person behind all the decisions. I'm hoping that the game takes a turn for the better and you can bet that I will be present in the QA for the battle system because that is the one thing that was a HUGE flaw in my eyes and I couldn't bear to go out and quest because of it. It needs an MMO combat system not a clunky single player console game combat system. The time system worked ok for FF13 where you could move your character around and waiting for the pretty animations was fine, but pushing a button and waiting to see if something happens in an MMO is not compelling gameplay. I played a little bit until they changed it back to sub fees and the combat really needs a ton of work. I really want this game to do well but I'm not going to pay to play a game that is broken while they try to fix it. I'll check back in a few months after the combat system is sorted.

Posted: Dec 21st 2011 7:45PM Sunlover said

@Joshinu

I agree; Combat was a huge disappointment. There really is no excuse for such a boring and insanely slow combat system in a game like this.

Also, there is really no excuse for such a quiet world either. When I last played, many NPCs had no voice acting or any sort of audio cues whatsoever. The world of Eorzea seemed quiet and dead and lonely.

I won't get into other issues, but unless SE steps this up a lot, there really is no hope of them seeing a decent return for the money they have invested without going F2P. You cannot spend AAA money to make a AAA game and release with features that could easily have been outdone by smaller or newer companies. Trion easily outclassed Square Enix in every way with Rift, and honestly, if it weren't for the art style and chocobos/other recognizable features, this game would be shutting down very soon.

Square needs to decide, are we making a AAA MMO that appeals to the masses, or are we developing an MMO that appeals to a smaller, niche market? Whatever they decide, they can't spend AAA money to develop for a niche crowd, and you cand spend AAA money to underdevelop/not deliver for the mainstream/larger crowd. This is a recipe for failure and is completely unsustainable. Pick one and roll with it.

And one last thing, if you are releasing on any given platform, console or PC or mobile, do it right. It's like my public speaking class taught me: Know your audience. If you know the majority of PC gamers use a mouse and keyboard and most MMO gamers on the PC expect to use those peripherals, why would you make a game for the PC that expects them to use a console-style controller? How does that seem like a good idea to you? I'm all for cross-platform and bringing people together, but not if it means it will hurt the experience and quality of said game. Pick a platform and stick with it, or understand how to translate that experience from platform to platform while maintaining quality and game balance.

I was really disappointed by FFXIV. I hope the folks at SE can turn it around, I really do. Final Fantasy deserves it.

Good luck Square Enix. You'll need it.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM