Posted: Dec 21st 2011 7:02PM (Unverified) said

Lineage 2 is not about PKing, seriously - it is about Clan-PvP and sieges. So get a mentor who is in one of the powerhouses (to find out, check who holds Aden, Giran or Rune Castle) and join a siege! That is something worth writing about. Ah ... and make sure that you get on TS/Ventrilo for the siege.

Posted: Dec 21st 2011 8:49PM jeremys said

@(Unverified) Thanks for the great pointers! I'd love to try out the clan-PvP action! The sieges sound great, too. I love the idea of so many fortress dotting the continent that can be battled over and controlled.

Posted: Dec 21st 2011 11:37PM Sam not Spam said

Actually, the territory wars might be a good fit, too.

And just to echo above; Lineage II is all about organized, sanctioned PVP. Killing another player outside certain activities actually has some rather stiff penalties to them, including the fact you've now got a big target on you (ie, you are now a sanctioned target). Its rather interesting, to be honest.

One thing I do like about Lineage II is that there is no factioning like we see in WOW, Aion, STO, DCUO, and many other modern games. One world, clans against clans, with each clan being as varied and diverse as the other with no artificial/story-based factionalism. So, be it for PVE or PVP, there's no "wrong" side to be on except for the bladed tip of your opponent's blade!

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 12:39AM DemonXaphan said

Crafting in this game takes more time to farm the items to make certain useful items than its worth.
The open world raid bosses drop items that where used to gain certain items from the Giran specialty shop npc and certain higher level ones were also used to level soul crystals.
Also any castle or fort that is clan owned you won't be able to enter, you can find that info when you click the map and click world info. Oh and while your in town go buy some health potions from the grocer.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 12:41AM TortoiseCan said

Nice video, I'm downloading this now. I've always been a little curious about this title but the cost/korean grind aspects really turned me off. From what i've been reading, they've removed both of these problems for the most part.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2011 10:29AM Jeromai said

Damn, but this game looks interesting. No time to try it at present, but this CMA and it being F2P is steadily pushing it to the top of my "give it a try someday" MMO list. Maybe early next year.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 1:04AM Nhoj1983 said

You've just scratched the surface as far as beautiful spots to explore.. take a look at Anghel falls.. it's still one of the most striking spots in games I've ever seen.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 1:13AM Nhoj1983 said

also after listening to your commentary.. yes L2's raid bosses were all open world.. now we've got some instancing but at one point everything was 100% in the world. Also I kind of find it odd you saying that the economy isn't player run... when I played(2004-2008) the only way besides killing a major raid boss(requiring 100+ players) was crafting.. I'm back now and a bit out of the loop but as I understand players still craft the best armor.

Posted: Dec 24th 2011 10:14AM jeremys said

@Nhoj1983 It is and it isn't. Take EVE Online and World of Warcraft or Runes of Magic or Lineage II as comparisons to EVE.

There's truly player-run and player-controlled economies and then there is the kind of player-operated(like that in many themepark MMOs) that mainly server to provide access for all players, from any location, more than a tool that the players can take and shape they way they see fit, by being able to create a business and operate the way they want.

In essence, EVE online can(and does) have players creating jobs, creating new gameplay that wasn't structured into the game that allows them to charge a very different range of prices for the same equipment. Those prices change depending on the job, not the item or location(but that happens too).

I know many players will point out to me that games like WoW, RIFT, Lineage II and many others have economies that fluctuate and suffer inflation, but the disease of inflation is about the only thing that ever makes these game's economies change anymore, and no one likes that. It's not a good thing. Apart from that, these economies are highly structured, easily controlled and really don't allow someone like me to play the game as a digital merchant. I can't really go and buy/sell, find a unique location within the game and set up shop, or offer any unique service that utilizes the economy.

The economy is fairly stable and even with a craft system, a linear path is predrawn. As someone recently pointed out(amusingly, I might add), I have grown a bit cynical lately. :D So it is this cynical, old-man's opinion that:

Most MMOs economies are really not player-run. In the end, you really don't have control over it and you can't utilize it for much more than finding what you need, when you need it. It's a universal drop-box where prices usually settle-out and stay that way, with gradual change based on server-wide game changes or, typcially, negative circumstances.

/cynical old dude out.

Posted: Dec 26th 2011 10:47AM JimmyRay said

Actually Lineage2's Economy did used to be completely player driven. In the past everything from D grade onwards had to be crafted by dwarves using base materials acquired whilst hunting. The players that controlled the hunt areas controlled the prices for the items. I controlled access to light armor mateirals for a while and any I didn't own I bought up in town and made the price go from 8mil for the main peice to 60 mil each. I was in clans that controlled boss jewelry and had clan members who controlled access to different things from certain element stones to whole grades of armor by pking anyone who tried to hunt the areas where they dropped.

We'd even control the progress of other players by stopping anyone on the server completing certain quests that are needed to level up by camping the quest bosses and killing them so the next spawn was in 6 days.

Nowadays it's different though, lots of items are sold through npc or available through various ways. The new auction system has changed how the ecenomy runs a lot also.