Posted: Dec 20th 2011 5:08PM Joshua Przygocki said

Didn't Turbine say something about not making LotRO free to play just a few months before they announced it? Maybe it was SOE with EQ2. I'm pretty sure one of those companies announced they wouldn't be transitioning to a F2P scheme shortly before they did.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 5:15PM alphaman00 said

@Joshua Przygocki Maybe, but I wouldn't take there "no" as a yes either- seems kind of early for so many people to be asking if they're going f2p when the game's just launching now and has no f2p elements built in (at this time, or known to the public).

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 5:15PM CorwynnMaelstrom said

@Joshua Przygocki

Which has what to do with anything about SWTOR?

LOTRO went f2p after FIRST making sure that they knew how to do it. (They had done DDO very successfully.) They also transitioned multiple years after the release of the game.

EQ2 went to an f2p model after SOE ran multiple other f2p games, and didn't fully switch over until just now, 7 years after the game's release.

As much as I'm not a SWTOR fan (the game doesn't impress me, sadly) I'm a realist: this is a title that won't see f2p for a very long time, if it ever does.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 5:25PM TheJackman said

@Joshua Przygocki F2P is for games that do not sale any more (no new people join the game) and the subs just keep going down. Both Lotro and EQ2 where in trouble. And not even have money for marketing. SWTOR does not need they unlike many of the other MMOs that did come out in the last year... they got a well known developer that did make a lot of games people really love today kinda like blizzard. Just the name Bioware on the box already is a ton of sales. Next to that you got the starwars fans that many never played a mmo and had no interest in that other mmo.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 5:12PM EdmundDante said

This game is pretty ... big.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 6:35PM (Unverified) said

@EdmundDante

I have been really enjoying ToR. My server is full all the time now thou. I just do not see f2p in the cards while servers are slammed.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 7:19PM Lucidus said

@(Unverified) 6 month mark it should be clearer.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 9:09PM Felnor said

@Lucidus - 6 months game is still going to be going strong. I doubt that anything else is going to come along to hold it down. WoW is dying already as the real Blizzard developers have moved on to other projects and left it to the interns.
So anyone playing WoW would be silly to not join us in SWTOR.
Btw, you're welcomed to join us in SWTOR. You won't even have to wear a paper brown bag to hide the fact you play the game. We accept everyone......

Posted: Dec 21st 2011 12:41AM Rialle said

@Felnor

I cautiously agree with you. If this holds up, we're likely looking at the "WoW Killer." Barring any massive missteps or any big surprises from Blizzard (such as scrapping MoP for something that doesn't look stupid), I expect WoW's subscriptions to be under 5 million by end-of-year 2012, and TOR to have eclipsed it. It is possible that minor subscription titles like RIFT will sadly suffer, but TOR looks like it could be the behemoth for the next few years.

And this is not me being a TOR fanboy. I was in beta, and have decided not to play retail. As much as I felt TOR is a great game, I'm personally getting tired of the theme parks. Still, it is a solid theme park and I'm sure most players won't be disappointed.

TOR launched at the perfect time. Blizzard just released the last major content patch for Cataclysm. It's going to be about a year before the next expansion is ready, unless they really rush it to get it out by summer. The content players would be waiting for frankly looks like a complete joke.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 5:16PM hereafter said

I measure all my time in man-years.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 5:43PM Blyn said

@hereafter

I too man-write for many man-years, with my man-pen on man-paper, in my man-home.

Posted: Dec 21st 2011 1:58PM Daemodand said

@Blyn And make love to your man-wife?

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 5:25PM Livid said

It's not all hype. It's a damn good game. Maybe too many cutscenes. But, it's a Star Wars game. It works.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 10:44PM RedWolf said

@Livid The magic space bar key skips the cut scenes if you so wish. Personally I enjoy them the most.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 5:31PM (Unverified) said

Isnt 5 articles in one day enough for this game??

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 6:13PM Amlin said

@(Unverified) Well if this game is as big as some people say it will, then we can be sure it will have a website like wow insider in the near future.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 7:03PM Beltyra said

@(Unverified) Wait wait wait wait. You're upset that a very large AAA title MMO has multiple news articles about its highly anticipated launch day on an MMO specific news site?

Yeah....let's read more about those obscure Perfect World flavors of the week!

Posted: Dec 21st 2011 3:28AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) 5 articles a day, on swtor? Or 50 articles a day on piece of crap F2P games? I'll take swtor.

Posted: Dec 21st 2011 3:28AM (Unverified) said

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 5:34PM TheJackman said

This is really all we need to known....

"Unlike a lot of other game companies that, once they launch a game, downsize their teams radically, our plan is to keep the team together and continue to focus on building content," says James Ohlen, creative director on Star Wars: The Old Republic.

"There's no secret project currently being done in the Austin studio," reveals Ohlen. "We're very much focused on Star Wars, Star Wars, Star Wars for the foreseeable future."

Really what more can you wish for this MMO got the more big team focus on building new content after shipping!!! That is huge! Maybe for the first time we see part of our 15 bucks use for content for ones and not be playing 6-8 months with no updates and woot first teaser of content that may hit the server in 3-10 months. That will be the kick in the balls Blizzard need so badly!

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM