Posted: Dec 20th 2011 4:50PM Wensbane said

@Daverator

You're quite right about the wrong word -- English isn't my first language (or even my second, for that matter) and every now and then a "wreaks" likes to pop in and say hello -- it's inexcusable.

That said, I still won't go back on my word. To assume no else has problems simply because you're able to run the game just fine... well, I'll just drop it right there before things get even more insulting. For both sides.

As for misrepresenting my PC (I have no idea what I would gain by doing so), here is what I currently have, for future reference:

The CPU is a Phenom II 1055T. That's an AMD six-core, which granted, isn't the best model for gaming purposes, but should still get the job done.
It's overclocked to, approximately, 4.0 GHz. (not 100% prime-stable at 4, but very close to it).

The GPU is an HD 6870. Also by AMD -- or ATI, as some people still like to call it. It's also overclocked, but not by a lot (mostly the Core Clock, via MSI Afterburner).
That said, it's running at a 1920x1080 resolution, not 1280xSomething, like yours. That obviously has its price in terms of overall performance.

As for RAM, it's using 8GB of Corsair DDR3, 1333 MHz. Not much to say about those, other than I've "tightened" the timings a little bit. That shouldn't really change much, though.

Mobo is a GA-790FXTA-UD5, Audio is a Xonar DS and the HDD is a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (yeah, no solid-state drive, I know...).

Things I've tried so far:
- Completely disabling all overclocking.
- Stability tests (mostly with Prime, OCCT and Furmark).
- Anti-spyware scans.
- Updating drivers, in particular the AMD Display ones (running Driver Sweeper beforehand, of course).
- Disabling shadows.
- Reducing all settings to low (performance was practically the same as it was on high, believe it or not).

At this point, I'm running out of ideas. Help me if you want, or just keep waving your finger around, if that makes you feel better. I'm just telling it like it is.

In a way this is actually quite funny, because if you go to the forums, you'll see someone with a Q6600 and a 9800 GTX reporting solid 50-60 FPS, followed by someone with an i7-965 and a GTX 570 reporting 5 FPS in Warzones.

Oh well...

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 9:59AM willflynne said

I was fine with the documentary up until about the 7 minute mark, when Ohlen started talking about fans being able to live in the Star Wars universe and experiencing any story they want.

Personally I already got to live in the Star Wars universe, for just over 7 years. I actually had homes AND a city to go back to when I was done for the day. I just don't get that same feeling from what I've seen of TOR.

And to get a little nitpicky, it doesn't seem like you can experience any story you want in that game. You can experience any story BioWare wants you to experience, sure. But your own? That remains to be seen.

Otherwise, a decent little documentary.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 11:00AM entropyboy said

@willflynne
i always felt that SWG was a sweet sci-fi MMO with Star Wars awkwardly tacked on.
imo, TOR at least feels Star Warsy.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 12:44PM willflynne said

@entropyboy

Aww, man, why'd you have to go and use "Star Warsy" on me?! The overuse of that and "iconic" about drove me around the bend after the NGE. LOL

Immersion varies from player to player. Some people need more elements than others to feel it. Personally, when I loaded into Mos Eisely for the first time in SWG, that did the trick. For others, that wasn't enough, so to each their own.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 10:03AM (Unverified) said

I will wait until the game is on sale. It is simply not worth 50 euros+subscription fee.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 10:30AM Clemalum07 said

@(Unverified) You are paying 35 Euros for the game... you get the first month bundled into that.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 10:06AM (Unverified) said

It's this simple: Bioware makes killer games.

So does Bethesda. Activision has now ruined WoW, Call of Duty (since Black Ops, Battlefield is seven times the game that is), Diablo with this online store crap, and will sink another nail in WoW's coffin for anybody who lives in the American side of the Pacific and further West.

As an early access participant, I've greatly enjoyed leveling and the concentration on story that ToR takes. The games polish is incredible, and as somebody who left Rift, it's a breath of fresh air as Rift's devs spend far too much time pumping out content rather than refining the game.

Looking forward, though, I think Bethesda should really make an Elder Scrolls MMO. Skyrim is beautiful and the play is amazing.

But the real killer to just about everything overall will be if BioWare moves forward and makes a Mass Effect MMO. ME3 looks to be incredible and it basically already lends itself to an MMO due to the scope of the galactic map and the squad-style game play.

The potential moving forward for both of these game devs are absolutely incredible.

ToR will certainly hold me over for a while, at least until ME3 comes out. At which point I may be forced to blow all of my vacation days and lock myself in the basement...........

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 10:09AM Malagarr said

@(Unverified)

Having seen the talent calculator for Diablo 3 on the official website I am now very, very concerned about what they may have done to that game. I fear they may have turned it into simply mindless clicking rather than being able to really build your own character the way you could in D2. I'll probably still give it a try, but I am highly dubious atm.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 10:23AM KvanCetre said

@Malagarr
I've played a decent amount of beta, so I hope I can alleviate your fears. The talent calc now makes you have many more options. In Diablo 3, your character is super flexible, like Guild Wars, but even better. You aren't bound by a rigid talent tree. You want to heal with a monk? Easy. You want to tank? Also easy. As easy as going to the shrine thing and swapping skills. Additionally, there are the skill modifying gems that can change your abilities in six different ways. You really can make so many different styles of play.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 10:07AM Malagarr said

My only gripe right now is the obscene queues and the downtime...but it's a new MMO and I'm not an idiot, so I can't say I was expecting anything different.

On the bright side, I have plenty to do to keep me busy with Christmas only five days away and by the time the stars align in such a way that I can actually get in and play again hopefully the zones I'm in won't be quite as crowded!

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 10:14AM Crsh said

I'm interested, but will delay by a week or so until the Xmas nightmare is over; anything with something else than stupid elves and wizards is welcome nowadays, bonus brownie points when it's from Bioware.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 10:55AM (Unverified) said

Was that some keyboard-turning @6:50?

That's the first thing I change when the opening dialogue finishes...

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 11:05AM SWTOR Guide said

I dying to play SWTOR! ....it is true that you'll have to queue for 45minutes to enter the game???? :0

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 2:05PM SkuzBukit said

@SWTOR Guide

45 minutes I could tolerate but it's more like 2-3 hours for my server, some of the US servers have had 5-6 hour queues, they are working on it but for the next few weeks it'll be pretty bad I reckon. A month or two from now it'll be a different scene.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 11:30AM (Unverified) said

Cool, I guess I have something to watch while I wait in queue.
-__-

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 12:11PM Kyzgar said

@(Unverified)
That's the perfect time to run a few quests or skirmishes in LotRO, or play some Minecraft. That's what I do.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 11:39AM Zantom said

I started on day one of pre-launch. Awesome game! Well done BioWare! But auggggg the queues! My new nemesis!!!

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 11:40AM collectivexp said

Come to the Dark Side... We have Cookies!!! Or is it Wookies...?

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 11:51AM jimr9999us said

Epic is the right word to describe this game. I don't plan on quitting Rift (in a great guild, makes all the diff) but swtor is a hot young mistress for sure.

Posted: Dec 20th 2011 2:01PM SkuzBukit said

The game is enjoyable & fun on the caveat that you enjoy Star Wars lore & the BioWare styled storytelling...if you hate both of those nothing on earth will make you like this game.

It definitely has it's flaws, for me I think the combat system, while familiar & easy to get used to should have been thrown on the scrap heap before it made it into the game & something a lot more free-flowing put in place (go play "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning" when it's released BioWare & you'll see what I am referring to).

There's so much that should have been better, but they stuck to the old EQ/WoW formula & bolted the story on top. What is there is actually very good quality, it's just from a hands-on gameplay perspective it IS stale & archaic, damn it like 12 years stale by now - TSW is trying something different, as was AoC before it, Tera etc etc.

But, in spite of all that I am enjoying it immensly, and if they can keep the story coming, which I have serious doubts about, then I'll keep playing for a while yet.
Previous 20 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |