Posted: Dec 19th 2011 12:40PM Clemalum07 said

This is a tough one to answer.... While I loved playing my Hunter in WoW. It was nice to have the Druid that could do pretty much anything. In my case Tank and Heal thanks to Dual Spec. I also had a Paladin that was the same way. I would say that I enjoyed the Hunter overall more than those two but having that option is a great plus.

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 12:44PM (Unverified) said

I tend to solo a lot of MMO content, so hybrid makes the most sense. I only specialize if I'm in a good guild that raids regularly. That has meant "clerics" for the most part, though now it means "Imperial Operative" :)

~V

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 3:33PM sortius said

@(Unverified) Most of the classes in SWTOR can be seen as "hybrid" due to their flexibility, but I get what you mean.

I'm actually enjoying my Sith Sorcerer more than anything else. Heals, massive DPS with lightning & a lightsaber. What more can you ask for?

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 12:46PM Ehra said

A solid, versatile hybrid is one of the few things that can hold my altitis at bay.

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 1:04PM hereafter said

I guess it depends on what sort of hybrid we mean. Do we mean a class that has multiple specialties available or a class meant to be played as say, half-tank half-dps, or a tanky healer? The former isn't so different at all, it just means having more options. The latter is different because it would require a more skilled player to be used effectively, what with the splitting of tasks.

I generally prefer to specialize because by a certain point in a game, I can fill any role anyway. I'm a bit of an alt-oholic at times so it doesn't really matter if my main can only do one thing; chances are, I'll have an alt eventually that can do other things.

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 1:10PM Heraclea said

I prefer hybrid characters. I always gravitate towards melee DPS/offtanking characters as first choices no matter what the game is.

The problem is with endgame raids, in those characters that feature it. These tend to be designed to reward clear cut roles and specialization. Your hybrid character ends up being one that isn't going to be able to main tank the encounter, and won't be competitive with specialized DPS. And since your hybrid character was fun rather than painful to level, you're competing against a large crowd for limited raid slots for your class.

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 1:38PM Spacegrass said

I prefer games with dual/multispecs, so I can play both: a specialist for group content, and a hybrid for leveling. At endgame however I'd probably play a hybrid, as I don't really care for raiding, and I think a hybrid would be better for pvp.

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 1:39PM Vgk said

I tend to tank in MMO's and as a result I never face a "lack of demand." Because of this I tend to specialize as a tank, I simply find tanking more enjoyable than DPSing, I level up, PvP, grind, and PvE as a tank.

They all may take a bit longer to do as a tank but I simply find it more enjoyable. What I tend to do is adjust my tank spec a bit when I go in for PvP but at the end of the day I'm always a tank.

In some MMO's I may prefer how they've implemented their healing or DPS roles but I always find myself specializing.

I think that I enjoy tanking in part because of my tendencies to specialize, a DPS can't tank or heal, a healer can't DPS or tank, but a tank can tank and have at least some semblance of DPS, depending on the scenario, how you spec, and the game.

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 1:47PM (Unverified) said

The real trick is finding a game that allows hybrids, Wow pretty much popped that ballons a long time ago. One thing refreshing about SWTOR is 41 point trees your not locked into, you can spend 20 in one, 21 in anouther, or any combo you can think of.

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 2:01PM edgecrusherO0 said

Hybrids are insanely hard to properly balance. You have a very fine line between, "Useful enough to bring to groups", "Too powerful, why bring any specialists?" and "Why on earth bother? They're useless.".

That being said, in a perfect game I would choose hybrid any day of the week. Some of the best times I had was back in ZG in classic WoW on my paladin. I was brought along as a filler spot more or less (extra healer when needed, a bit of extra dps when not needed) and would start pulls dpsing, swap to sword and board to pick up a loose add, and then finish the pull off tossing out heals. Honestly it was a blast because I was keeping track of so many different things at once.

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 2:14PM fallwind said

@edgecrusherO0 "Too powerful, why bring any specialists?"

I see this a lot in Rift (ironically, given how diverse each calling is), and it just doesn't hold water.

1) Loot. Sure, you can make a group of nothing but druids, but then every item of plate that drops will be 100% useless whereas every item of leather will have 20 people rolling on it.

2) Same but different. some people like mana, other's dont... some like combo points, others avoid them like the plague. Even with hybrids doing equally as well as pures, there will still be players who prefer the pures due to playstyle.

3) specific encounters. Some fights will favor some types of dps/heals/tanks over others, so even if your cleric "can" tank that fight, it doesn't mean you wouldn't be vastly better off with a rogue tank.

4) unique buffs/debuffs... nuff said.

5) Stackability. Some classes stack better than others, when you have one cast of a buff lock out that whole school (bloodlust), then bringing extra copies of that same skill does not increase it's power.

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 2:10PM oxlar said

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 2:15PM fallwind said

@oxlar "I think people have confused 'what they enjoy playing more' with 'which one is actually better'."

I think someone has confused "poll" with "vote the way I want you to so it shows the result I agree with damn it!"

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 2:40PM Dumac said

@oxlar
But what i enjoy playing more IS what is actually better... For me, at least.

I prefer hybrids. I like to have options when i want a change of pace besides creating a new character and leveling him up again. Adapting to what a group needs is a bonus.

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 2:45PM oxlar said

@fallwind

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 2:50PM oxlar said

@Dumac

I prefer hybrids myself, mostly because I solo a lot. But to be honest, specialists tend to be more powerful in a group and in the end.

I took the question to be 'what is better as in which is ultimately more potent in contribution to the game environment.'

Everytime I pick a hybrid in an MMO, I do it knowingly that I will be less powerful than a specialist, but it will be more conducisve to my playstyle. This is a sacrifice I knowingly make. I'm not going to delude myself into believing that when I compare dps, healing, tanking, or any other role that my hybrid is going to out perform those specialists in those roles.

Therefore, i think most people are answering this poll as what they prefer to play and not which is ultimately better in a given role.

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 4:36PM (Unverified) said

@oxlar

If only they could properly balance the juggling of roles in more games. Sure, a singular pure DPS class can outdamage the hybrid, but if a DPS and a healer class even out between two hybrid heal/DPS classes, that would be an entertaining choice. The problem is that most people forming dungeon or raid groups are usually close enough to full that they're looking at individuals, not synergy.

S'why playing within a guild seems to turn out better for the various styles of classes. The guild can agree on experimenting with things that PUGs could never pull off. Thus you get those occasional "25 Moonkin raid" videos on YT.

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 2:22PM Amlin said

I like to specialize, for me part of the fun and also necessity in a raid/highend pve environment as a dps is to really lay down the hammer to mobs. Nothing is more awesome for me than seeing insane numbers rack up and competing with other raid members for that top dps slot.

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 2:39PM Daeths said

or you could be a rift cleric. Specialize in AoE dps, healing (dot, aoe or fast st), or tank. or they could also hybrid it all

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 2:55PM Vazzaroth said

I hate hybrid classes. It undermines my desire to have many, many characters