Posted: Dec 18th 2011 8:09AM Ehra said

Usually not if only because the names I use are Ehra Originals™ and are almost never taken even if I come into a game years late.

Although, on a slightly related note, Guild Wars has trained me to fill out my character slots as quickly as possible in the off chance the game offers birthday gifts to characters.

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 1:55PM NeverDeath said

• Half a heart
@Ehra

That could also just meant that the names you took, nobody wants. Years ago, none of my names were ever taken. People saw them, obviously liked them, and have since commandeered them. I've used NeverDeath as one of my primary aliases since 1998, and only in recent years have seen it popping up all over the place, with other people now using it before I can. The other day I was playing a game and someone asked if I was Steve from World of Warcraft, because he had that same name. I had to inform them that there was a time when I was the only one in WoW with that name, and now if you armory it there are dozens.

Hell, Blizzard even likes my names enough to steal them. In Vanilla I had a guild named Soulshatter, which was the only Soulshatter in the game, on the server where one of the Devs ran a guild called Fires of Heaven, and Soulshatter became a spell in Burning Crusade. I had an Elemental Shaman in Wrath named Augury, and within a patch or two they made Elemental Shaman gloves called Gloves of Augury. But really, none of that bothers me, even the jackasses who run around copying my aliases - probably copying them from a copier by now (Not just NeverDeath but also some of the more obscure and less obvious names which have since become commonly stolen). My pet peeve is when people want a name that's taken, they don't just come up with another one but bust out the character map and butcher the name all to hell till it looks like it was handwritten by an old man with rickets.

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 1:57PM Ehra said

@NeverDeath

lol. Someone's pissed.

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 9:09PM (Unverified) said

@NeverDeath : your post would be more interesting if any of your names were actual NAMES, rather than just common English words, or combinations of two common English words.

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 5:29AM Snichy said

@NeverDeath. lol, inflated sense of self importance much?

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 8:11AM smartstep said

No I don't.

Really it takes few minutes to look up or think some nice name.

Well I don't use "Ipwnnoobz" names, but instead I use names that would fit into setting more or less so maybe that's why...

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 8:18AM Bondy said

Yup,

Sad as it was and long as it was, I went through 30 severs and took my 2 names :)

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 4:27PM Jetflame3 said

@Bondy Haha, damn man that's dedication. ;)

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 8:34AM Khalus said

Always...I've been using the same names for about a decade now. In the past they were always available, but lately they've become popular so yeah I like to get into an MMO as early as possible and claim them on at least 2 servers.

Luckily I was in the very first wave of SWTOR early start and got them on the servers of my choosing ~ one on an RP where I'm playing now and the other PvE. I despise playing on PvP servers cause I like to enjoy exploring and take my time questing, and not be worried about getting ganked around every corner, or during random battles!

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 2:00PM NeverDeath said

@Khalus

Yeah I can relate to that man. Why are people so unoriginal and boring? There are a million words in the English language, you'd think they could mash a couple of them together to make something that sounds cool. And that's only if they fail to make normal names, to which there are virtually no limits.

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 4:30PM Khalus said

@NeverDeath

Yeah, like you said in your other post too, what makes it even worse are the people that can't think of something original, or didn't get the name before someone else, so they butcher the name by adding a few more letters.

In the end it still sounds almost the same, but looks ridiculously bad and screams, look how stupid I am...heh If you can't claim the original spelling of a name, then choose something else! Especially if its something popular, like the over used Sephiroth.

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 8:34AM Arkanaloth said

nahh.. been playing RPG's for years dating back to D&D before it was "Advanced", I can pretty easily come up with a good name that's not taken.

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 8:45AM Doughboy1917 said

I do grab names, but only on the server where I will play. I have a handful of names I tend to use in most games, but it's not a big problem to come up with others. The Star Wars setting makes it easier than in a game like City of Heroes.

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 8:45AM bobfish said

I've increasing got into the habit of taken my preferred names at launch. In the past it was never a concern but MMOs are so popular these days that you just can't afford to take the chance.

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 8:47AM KureAc said

the i use online comonly as my youtube/twitch stream name spawned out of my sage from asherons call 2 90% time i get the name althou there are rare ocansions months along on alternative servers wheres its taken

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 8:51AM Seffrid said

I try to keep the same fantasy names I've used for almost 30 years where the race/class/lore considerations allow it, but I don't have the same attachment to any sci-fi names. Where appropriate, therefore, I try and reserve those names but I'm not paranoid about it and they most certainly aren't leet names!

The main benefit of using the same names for many years is that those characters have acquired personalities which helps with game immersion, providing they fit the game in question.

The main drawback is when there are server mergers and I lose an established name, renaming the character is always a real pain and ruins the immersion for me.

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 9:02AM PacketBurner said

I tend to use the necronomicon spellbook for my names, sadly even these are nabbed in SwTor mostly....

The early access meant a lot of names where gone with the june - nov lot well before i got there.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 9:07AM (Unverified) said

Being in on first day really helped. Some friends of mine are going to start playing soon and I wanted 2 names for my characters, Derrick and Derek. So I went on everyone east coast server besides pvp servers and took that name. Got it on almost all servers except a few.

I was really suprised at how many names were still available on most servers on day two.

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 9:10AM Dukeun said

I do try to get the name Ripple as fast as I can. Other then that one, nope.

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 9:13AM Valkaern said

I've never understood people being so desperate to grab names that are clearly unoriginal. If people are having to tweak a name because someone else has that and others have varients, it might be a good indication that you might need to actually get a bit creative or original.

I've always been amazed by those people that are so desperate to have a non original name that they'll accept an absurd twisted version of it, despite the message it sends to the rest of the player base.

Ahh Leegzolaasz, what's going on in there?

Hands-on with Windborne's early access

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 5:00PM

Ask Massively: What's with all the WoW hate?

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 12:00PM