Posted: Dec 17th 2011 4:15PM DevilSei said

Wait... doesn't LotRO have content locks as well? I'm not sure if they changed that, but I remember reading it and pretty sure I saw it in the beta for the F2P version that you had to buy access to more areas/quests if you were a free player.

Even still, the the fact that you can buy the picks needed for the treasure event (and I'm sure there are better quality ones in the store as well) smells of rather cheap perfume, and by cheap, I mean giant eagle poo.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 4:53PM Bryandt said

@DevilSei Yes and no. You can go into any area you like (sans instances), but after Lone Lands you have to buy quest packs to unlock the quests, deeds and instances associated with that area. In some cases, the instances are sold seperately (Inn of the Forsaken, Halls of Night, and the new ROI instance cluster). Most of the skirmishes are also content you must buy, save the first two you unlock at 20 and the high-level skirmishes that are part of the epic storyline.

You do get most of this without extra cost if you are a VIP (subscriber) and you can get the ROI instance cluster as part of the expansion if you buy it from the Web Store (not to be confused with the LOTRO Store).

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 4:56PM Plastic said

The locked-boxes are not going over well with the player-base, which isn't yet accustomed to the sleazy cash-grab tactics generally associated with Asian F2Ps.

It's essentially just online gambling, and really needs to start being regulated, IMO.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 4:57PM theBeast said

This is disgusting and predatory exploitation of operant conditioning. Chinese MMOs do this with real money too and it is basically gambling.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 4:59PM OutThere said

Whatever separated LOTRO from the dime-a-dozen Asian F2P or Pay 2 Win games is fast disappearing. I participated in the Treasure Hunt as well and really enjoyed its mechanics. Then experienced the big pie in the face when I realized that it would be virtually unplayable unless you had a storehouse of TPs to spend mindlessly on picks and the like. This cheapened Turbine's otherwise excellent effort and put its feet firmly on the road well-trod by the aforementioned P2W games that charge their players for everything but the Escape key.

The cost of 200 TPs for 5 one-time use picks is, to say the least, ludicrous for the ordinary player. But there will be those with plenty of disposable income who will spend and spend to get that super loot, so Turbine has a winner there. There are gamers with money to spend and LOTRO is fishing for it. I expect to see more and more of this as those Store-centric items Turbine has spent the last year on (instead of, say, updates) rolls into view. The Store is where the money is, after all, not the game.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 5:28PM (Unverified) said

I think the gambling cash store features are awful! It is sad to see Turbine go this direction, they had seemed a model of a more noble F2P approach...

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 8:59PM deluxe2000 said

For the most part though, premium members who pay the sub fee have TP to burn, so for them 200TP is a drop in the bucket. So yes its a cheesy ploy by Turbine, but it also sort of kisses up to the people who are already paying them as much if not more then those of us who don't fork over anything per month. Not that I agree with what they are doing here, since yes it is too much like grindy Asian FTP titles that reward those with the most cash.

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 3:01PM OutThere said

@deluxe2000

At 200 TPs for 5 picks, you can buy 12 picks a month with your VIP TPs. That's about 5 minutes of Treasure Hunting play. I don't know about you, but I don't have TPs to waste like that when there are vaults, slayer deeds, rep, milestones, LI items and slots still to be acquired on my 9 characters that make life in LOTRO more convenient and fun.

Posted: Dec 18th 2011 7:38AM Ehra said

It's probably a difficult situation. I know my fouder's account, for example, still has a good 2000+ TP on it yet, and this is after buying the recent expansion with just TP. And I haven't ever bought TP either. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a glut of TP out there being hoarded that they're trying to wipe out.

I think all of this gambling stuff is bad for the genre overall, but if it's going to happen at all then at least it's just cosmetic rewards.

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 4:54AM (Unverified) said

yeah was going to put in my two cents about STO doing the same thing with random loot, some guy spent 2k points which is alot of RL money on those boxes only to not see a single jem'hadar ship that was promised as "random" loot. turbine lost my respect after this newest expansion. now i don't even want to login to say hi to old friends.