Posted: Dec 17th 2011 8:24AM (Unverified) said

In the cases like Pando, they're distasteful enough to discourage me from even trying an MMO. When your trying to attract customers you really should be lowering the barrier to entry, not raising it with annoying software.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 10:24PM ElfLove said

@(Unverified)

Well said!

I won't let that program, anywhere near my computer.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 8:33AM h4ngedm4n said

Nope you aren't alone. I think most of us have some dislike of Pando Media Booster silently installing itself.

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 10:05AM Daverator said

@h4ngedm4n

Agreed, although a p2p system certainly should be an alternative, forcing it onto users seems inappropriate.

I personally am getting tired of the constant need of wrapping install wrappers in wrappers. So that I have to download a program to manage downloading an archive that unzips a package that can then be installed. How about you give me a ftp site to an executable install and cut out about 15 middle men?

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 8:50AM Tanek said

Not alone. In the case of Pando and Turbine, if they are going to use it, they need to at least give more information about it up front. I do understand that companies use these downloaders to reduce the impact and cost of the downloads on any one system, but the peer-to-peer aspect of it can hurt customers who have tight data limits.

That said, I have not had any problems with the games after removing it from my computer and (when it works properly) it does only operate for 2 or 3 days before turning itself off. This is still not great, but when it comes to downloaders and launchers, so far I think I dislike the NCSoft Launcher even more.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 8:51AM JohnSGalt said

For sure, honestly if you want me to download your game using a torrent then just give me the torrent file.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 8:54AM Dumac said

And when you realize Pando brought you the game client via bandwidth it sapped from unwary users, you feel dirty.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 9:11AM nhat said

No..... I just disable it after I'm done downloading.... why are people making such a big deal over it, its not like you can't disable it or not.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 9:18AM Tanek said

@nhat In some cases, the big deal is not whether it can be disabled, it is how much information the customer is being given. I know how to monitor and disable it, you know how, but other people don't.

The fear is probably that if everyone had the information and options presented to them, most people would just turn the torrent off, making it less useful over all. The backfire, however, is that when the user does find it on their own, they feel someone has tried to pull a fast one and steal resources.

I actually like the idea of the torrent downloaders, in general. Many of us can spare the bandwidth to help others and I optimistically hope many of us would make that choice on our own. I don't know if that optimism overlaps with reality, though.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 9:49AM aurickle said

@Tanek
A very simple approach would be for the game to give a message like the following when you first launch it:

"Would you like to share a torrent so that others can download the game and it's updates as quickly as you just did? (You can change the settings for this at any time in the launcher options menu.)"

If you say no, it disables the option and shuts down Pando (or whatever). As for the options themselves, include a setting to turn it on or off. Also include settings for days, hours and percent of bandwidth to share.

Phrasing the question in that manner would make you feel like a Grinch for saying no, but you still have the option if you feel strongly about it. What's more, having the other settings would make it much more palatable even for those who typically dislike such features. Everyone winds in this case.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 10:06AM Ilikesoup said

@nhat Way to be a complacent fool and ignore how it got there in the first place.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 9:30AM MMOaddict said

Yes. I hate Pando with a passion. It makes other programs not work correctly if I've forgotten to remove it, plus when you go to download a game you have no warning that it is going to put Pando on your computer and then when installation is finally done, the jerks who coded it have it still running in the background.

Pure evil.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 9:56AM pcgneurotic said

I like them. I like the fact that I have one panel from which I can access my account, adjust some key options, and see server/character info (depending on the game ofc). I also LOVE the fact that they take care of all the connection hassle, optimising and tweaking and eking every last byte out of every last second. What's not to love?

Like everything in life, there are good ones and bad ones.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 10:07AM Ilikesoup said

@pcgneurotic Can't tell if trolling or lazy and ignorant.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 10:28AM myr said

@Ilikesoup Pretty sure that's a sarcastic troll

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 12:50PM pcgneurotic said

@pcgneurotic

Pretty sure you two are total morons. :P

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 10:15AM (Unverified) said

I refuse to install {and thus play) LotRO because it uses that Pando crap.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 10:26PM ElfLove said

@(Unverified)

Same here...I have the game on CDs from way back when...but I won't ever come back tot he game because of Pando.

No thanks Turbine...no thanks...

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 10:25AM (Unverified) said

LOTRO and DDO DO NOT Require Pando. I run both fine with no PMB/Pando Installed or running at all ever... :) Gotta know where to go and what to look for on the internet to remove them and keep them removed.

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 1:46PM Celtar said

@(Unverified)

LOTRO does require Pando to download the High Texture version. I only use the high texture version so I do use Pando for that down load. Once down loaded I simply remove Pando from my system.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014