Posted: Dec 16th 2011 11:38AM Space Cobra said

This feels like a eulogy...

The game will be missed. What unique things it brought to the MMO table, regardless of the NRG debate, was something that is needed in future MMOs (housing and the general sandbox elements and more).

It also had a very neat and passionate community; while you see the same overreactions in every community, SWG, had a nice, down-home tight-knit one. It was easy to know folks and this was offered and supported by a big company, SOE.

I'll miss it and even if others don't realize it, they will miss the potential influence this had on other titles. It will not be easily replaced in those game mechanics or community, even with the private emulated version(s) out there.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 11:55AM Jef Reahard said

@Space Cobra

It's been interesting to note some of the reaction this morning around the web. I expected a lot of trolling, but even folks who never played the game have commented on what's been lost.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 11:44AM HiroProtagonist7 said

@Space Cobra You rock dude. Thank you

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 11:50AM Rick1975 said

Logged in last night for my final goodbye.. This is the first mmo I've played that has closed on me (unless eve dies somewhere lol), but still.. The first one is always the hardest.

Grr.. if only I could have taken my pet razor cat and sunrider's destiny lightsaber crystal with me to TOR...

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 11:55AM valdi313 said

Any word on which side won the fight in the end?

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 11:56AM Jef Reahard said

@valdi313

The Rebels won on all but three or four servers.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 12:20PM Rick1975 said

@Jef Reahard

As an imperial my entire SWG career, that was depressing to see LOL

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 11:58AM dudes said

So long and thanks for all the Ewoks!

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 11:58AM Mikx said

The game had its problems, but this is why we can't have nice things. The game shuts down. It should go on forever.

Is anyone else a bit more leery of playing and paying for a licensed game because of this? It could be a fair to middling success numbers-wise, not a great blockbuster, but the license gets pulled because they don't want their franchise to be burdened by an also-ran game with a poor reputation.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 12:25PM Rick1975 said

@Mikx

I know where you are coming from on this, but honest, I just looked at my boxed copy of SWG.. I played that game off and on from 2005 to pretty much last night. I see my other pc games, xbox games, ps3 games on the shelf and I have to be honest, after playing the crap out of SWG, I think I got my money's worth out of it than my other games just in time spent alone.

On the other hand, the server is now gone along with all my nice things I had in the game. That makes me feel slightly.... robbed.. BUT I won't stop playing other MMOs in the future because of it. To me this was a learning experience.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 12:48PM (Unverified) said

@Mikx

I feel the same way, but the truth is I would not trade the great memories I have of SWG - not to mention all the wonderful friends I made there - to avoid the pain of its shutting down. And it WAS painful. SWG was my first real MMO and while I have played and still play many others, it is the only one I never left, until last night. Still, all of the screenshots, all of the vids, and, most importantly, all of the friends I made there will keep the wonderful memories alive.

To my fellow Imperials on Starsider - /salute

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 1:45PM HiroProtagonist7 said

@Rick1975
I got the collectors edition box on release too. I wonder if it's worth anything?

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 12:15PM syberghost said

@HiroProtagonist7 the game is closed, but the legal departments of Sony and LucasArts remain in business; and the latter makes money off of people playing another game instead of using an SWG emulator.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 12:16PM Zeig said

I will always have my best moment of the game. The final ending, sitting around a camp on endor with a jukebox playing the ROTJ victory song and watching the deathstar in the sky.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 12:18PM Lucidus said

@syberghost LA can bite my shiny metal *ss. (until they remake X-Wing V. TIE for the PC -- not another crap console game)

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 12:24PM StClair said

*quietly plays "Leia's News / Light of the Force", as the pyre burns and X-wings streak through the dark skies above, laying fireworks*

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 12:38PM Kerbion said

I never played SWG... the graphics, and the sandbox aspects always kind of put me off.... however, I am truly sad to see this game go, and I feel for all of you who have lost so much with it's closing, friendships, time, anything really.

Truly a sad day, when such an influence fades into memory...

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 12:39PM Elikal said

*sob*

It is still a sad day. I mean, it was better to end it, than leave it dying. But SWG was a MMO unlike anything else.

It will be missed.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 1:40PM Squidsnthings said

Dragon Nest is my favorite because it is awesome. It is a top notch product that is sorely lacking from most free games. The gameplay is spot on and the characters ooze personality. Completing dungeons is immensely satisfying and combat is fastpaced and exciting. Nexon really is the leader in bringing above quality free games to the American market. Sure they get a lot of crap from people, but that is one thing you can't deny. Their games are very fun.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 1:47PM HiroProtagonist7 said