Posted: Dec 15th 2011 11:39AM (Unverified) said

Dunno what to think about this. I wasn't a big fan of the whole Tiberium section of C&C and I don't know about it going to the MMORTS, especially as a browser based game.

Might try out Generals 2, but everything they have made since Generals:Zero Hour hasn't been that great.....

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 12:02PM Mikx said

@(Unverified) Yes, generals was the high point of that series.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 1:47PM NeverDeath said

@(Unverified)

Generals Zero Hour was great, but so was CnC3 and Kane's Wrath xpac, and so was Red Alert 3.

It's CnC 4 that was freaking terrible, and so was Tiberian Sun. Regardless, I don't know how an MMORTS is going to work out. Doesn't sound like the most fun idea I've ever heard of, mainly because I'm wondering how they're going to handle continuity.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 2:24PM Braiks said

@NeverDeath Agreed. Generals might have been the high point but CnC3 and RA3 weren't bad games, only Tiberian Twlight was awful.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 11:46AM Warsyde said

Ugh. I have no faith in C&C games not made by the original developers. BIOWARE is making a C&C game? What? Look, I like Bioware, they make great RPGs . . . but an RTS? Who's idea was that?

And who else thinks the browser based Alliances game was originally some generic MMORTS until EA told the developer to slap a C&C skin on everything so they could market it as part of the IP?

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 1:49PM NeverDeath said

@Warsyde

Yeah man, Westwood was the shit. Notice how the RTS genre used to be packed with so many excellent games you couldn't find enough hours in the day, and now with the exception of aged games like older CnC titles and WH:40K (DoW 1, not 2), that most of the genre is dead in the water? Shameful, really.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 11:50AM scfs123 said

Your tiberium awaits M'lord.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 12:01PM (Unverified) said

BioWare themselves are not making Generals 2. They are just the label Victory Games, now Bioware Victory, are under. Since BioWare is now a label they will have several studios under their label, but they themselves wont be developing them.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 12:54PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Exactly. The days of Bioware meaning quality might be slipping behind us since EA sank their fangs in and now hides behind their name hoping to make a buck.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 12:07PM Felnor said

Looks good. I think it would be fun for out on the road.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 12:13PM rsrupert said

Total annihilation or supreme commander, moving across the galaxy Ithink a galaxy the size of the one in eve online) THAT would make an AWESOME MMORTS IMHO

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 1:01PM fallwind said

@rsrupert TA was one of my favorite rts'es... though I wasn't fond of the utter lack of differentiation between the Core and Arm.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 1:47PM rsrupert said

@fallwind For a game from 1995, I think it was pretty awesome. I still have it :)

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 1:17PM (Unverified) said

Exactly. In my mind the last good game Bioware released was Dragon Age. Mass Effect 2 was good, but did not like the trade off of RPG elements for TPS shooter crap. Still waiting to see what they do with ME3, but with the recent Co-op shit being announced, im not holding my breath.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 1:14PM Stofio said

CNC GENERALS 2!!! FUCKIN YESSS!!! FINALLY!!! Generals changed my gaming life forever, how have i not heard that its being made yet!! guess better late then never!

massively you just made my day!!

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 1:26PM Cyclone Jack said

Sadly, the only game that even comes close to the magic of the original game was C&C3, and even then. Generals was a decent RTS, but had nothing to do with C&C. Here's hoping Bioware can do something with Generals 2, but when was the last time they did anything strategy-based? As for this browser MMORTS, to be brutally honest, it looks horrid.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 1:36PM gegner said

Just give me RA2 on my browser/iPhone and I'll be happy.

Just to be clear, this is not the same Bioware that made previous Bioware games. The previous company that make the last several C&C games (i forgot their name) has been re-branded as Bioware and they are the ones making the new C&C games.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 1:59PM (Unverified) said

browser based ugh puke

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 4:59PM Alchemda said

Phenomic are the same guys that made "Lord of Ultima", browser MMORTS. Its not bad, but its not that great either. Here's hoping that they make this one great.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 10:57PM DemonXaphan said

C&C4 was the worst of all the C&C series but an mmorts is not gonna save this franchise and the bioware studio that makes C&C:Generals2 better do a hell of a job.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014