Posted: Dec 15th 2011 8:14PM (Unverified) said

My first MMO was Lineage 2 and I had a female elf archer picking off lowbies for fun on the Hindemith server.

When these deaths also remove your earned exp, thats were I draw the line.

This person had so much negative karma built up that it rolled over and suddenly they were no longer (red) murderer status.

Also, someone really killed a guy in Europe over a Lineage 2 grudge.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 8:16PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Why am I still unverified when I've no idea how to 'verify'

also the Lineage 2 murderer who got banned was known as Evilseed.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 8:24PM Amlin said

I haven't played Lineage 2 yet and I was actually thinking of checking out...is it open pvp?

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 10:06PM Utakata said

Thanks for answering that Mr. Lefebvre.

I supposed I should of qualified my question better in regards to PvE as oppose to PvP. I already know the risks of palying in a FFA, regardless whether I solo, group or raid, max level or lowbee. I guess my questions was more directed to PvE outside of the unpredictable PvP component. But none of the less...I think I got a pretty good idea from your answer what to expect.

Again, thank you. :)

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 10:37PM Nadril said

NCSoft fucked Lineage 2's open PvP. It's pretty much impossible to PK someone now if you care at all about ever leveling that character again. Because you don't gain XP while red you end up having to kill like 500 mobs to work off one PK.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 11:11PM Daeths said

@Nadril Good, there consequence for being an a-hole
games should allow you to do many things, but any thing you do at the cost of other players should also carry a non-trivial consequence for your self

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 11:13PM Fakeassname said

@Nadril

which leads to an unintentional game mechanic as you can then grind away at high value loot droppers without fear of out leveling the drop rate.

make a character -> level it to a desired point -> go on a killing spree to stunt it's progress indefinitely -> resign that character to the roll of being a support alt to fund a new main that may not be as viable of a PvE character.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 12:12AM Nadril said

@Daeths The old PK system in Lineage II punished players just fine.

The only difference between the old and new karma system (well, the biggest) is that in the old system when you worked off your karma you also still gained XP. This meant it was viable to be a "red" character. Way back in the day being red meant you had a high chance to drop your gear. NCSoft softened it up in future patches.

Here is the thing though... you don't really understand what kind of game Lineage II is. Sometimes PKing a player is the only good option when they are being a nuisance. Players can still be plenty assholes with the new system, kill stealing is actually a big problem on the servers right now because there is no "I flag, so its mine" system. It used to be that if a guy was stealing your shit you just go kill his ass... these days that is completely not viable to do and because of it the millions of BRs and other players really don't care about KSing.

So the system makes Lineage II less of a "free for all PvP" game and more of a "only PvP if your opponent wants you to" game. It's completely boring and not what Lineage II was and should be. The PvE content of Lineage II is paper fucking thin and it was never a game for non-PvP players to play.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 1:50PM (Unverified) said

@Nadril

I quit that game because of its flagging pvp system and the fact you could drop your gear so easily.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 12:25AM JuliusSeizure said

So... when's The Old Republic Insider launching? You know you want toooo. =P

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 1:06AM Furdinand said

Why weren't there any articles on DCUO's Update 7? The game is possibly the only MMO that Massively don't have a weekly column dedicated to it.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 3:03PM JuliusSeizure said

@Furdinand

First of all, there are thousands of MMOs without a weekly column. Secondly, it used to (search for Alter-Ego), but clearly it wasn't worth it anymore for whatever reason.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 8:32AM Arkanaloth said

I *DO* dislike Lineage II, and it was also the game that cemented my feelings about non-consensual PVP. It's just not fun being relegated to a town because of the high-levs killing anything that moves outside, thanks but no thanks. Had the trial installed, tried it, and deleted in under 10 minutes.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 9:15AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Did you cry when they ganked you?

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 10:01AM Ceridith said

@(Unverified)
Do you giggle with glee when you gank someone else's character?

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 10:09AM shmegger said

@Eliot
The point was that even thermodynamics experts get unexpected results sometimes.

It may not seem like a good idea to turn a great single-player game into an mmo, but the reward could be worth the risk. All decent mmo's have some element of the world that changes based on player interaction. It is the whole premise behind Rift. Why couldn't you scale up world events in Skyrim?

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 11:23AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
No, i lick their tears and they buff me.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 12:33PM Utakata said

@(Unverified)

If you're going to troll...please do it in the same thread by simply hitting "Reply" which located to the right of each post you wish to respond to. So a) we can see what the hell you are talking about and b) you don't entirely look like an incompetent buffoon.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 4:51PM avidlurker said

My character in EvE fully supports your notion, that a thorough understanding of Thermodynamics is important for PvP, esp. the non-consensual type.