Posted: Dec 14th 2011 8:17AM smartstep said

Very rare. Usually I do know what I want, where I want it and what is acceptable and not acceptable for me.

I used to be more "elastic", but since I made myself follow more principles in what kind of game I play, what business model I accept or not and that I think throughtly at what class, etc to play - I usually tend to be more satisfied from choices I made.

I also tend to stick longer to my choices and not change tham all the time.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 8:37AM DarkWalker said

Almost all the time. I only really plan things ahead if the game attempts to restrict changes - and even then, I change my mind quite a bit.

(I do take a hard look after the fact to figure if I did anything wrong, and correct it if so; also, I don't engage group content without being sure I've done my utmost to be useful to the group - to the point I decline to play in groups if I'm unsure about how to develop my character, or if for some other reason I can't optimize my character for group play)

It's why I can't stand playing a game with restrictions on respecs. If I want to change a previous decision, and can't, I most often unsubscribe and only take a second glance at the game if it adds more flexibility to the characters.

It's also why, nowadays, I only play characters that can fulfill all roles - and if a game does not have a class capable of that, I often won't even try it.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 8:37AM Ogged said

I preordered Champions Online, received my preorder head start code from Amazon, played it for two hours on the first head start day and then canceled my order.

Thankfully Amazon didn't bill me at all although I used that preorder code :)

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 8:40AM Celtar said

Yup all the time, no matter how many aspects I work out ahead of time. I think that is why the current SWTOR has been frustrating for me more then usual.

Sometimes the simple thing can be a stopper for me and currently the Surname issue with SWTOR has brought all my various character names, classes, races, skills and background to a halt. This crap with "one" surname for "all" characters on a single server really bites.

Honestly its border line cap on the bottle for me on whether I'll cancel my collectors edition pre-order. Since I keep finding myself circling back around at this issue while trying to finish filling out my charactors for the game.

Irking to me is that I've set the bar really low for SWTOR and yet I already have a laundry list of issues that I find rather unacceptable short comings from this game. I'm getting all AoC-Funcom deja vu, and thats not good.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 7:45PM EdmundDante said

@Celtar Yeah I don't think SWTOR is going to live up to the hype

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 9:20AM (Unverified) said

Frequently so with my altoholism in regards to rolling characters. And less so with playing MMO's in general. I like to settle down on one MMO, but I have jumped ship and jumped back in from time to time.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 10:34AM insilentionocti said

Rarely. Usually I spend quite a while planning what I want. That way I can be pretty sure I won't be dropping the toon and creating a new one right away. Waste of time otherwise.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 10:34AM Ripper McGee said

Oh how that Dungeon Runners pic got my hopes up until I started reading the article...

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 4:40PM Jypsy said

@Ripper McGee I miss Dungeon Runners. That game was great casual lootfest.

Ah the humor, the excitement. the hacking and slashing.

Why couldn't someone bring this or Auto Assault back?

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 6:22PM syberghost said

@Jypsy Auto Assault was good as a single-player game, but total fail as an MMO. If you stopped to chat, you died. You can't have a community that way.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 10:41AM HiroProtagonist7 said

I end up with a lvl 9-10 in each class and sometimes in different races among the classes.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 11:00AM nimzy said

I was totally stoked to be a Vanguard Trooper in SWTOR, and at the very last minute after hearing about the evasion tanking and utility the Jedi Shadow brings to the table I changed my mind just like that.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 12:21PM tresler79 said

@nimzy

Actually all the tanks are based on cd management and mitigation. Unless something has changed recently all through beta no tank really relied on evasion. Jedi Shadow tanks are a little more spikier in incoming dmg but they have self heals to help counter that.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 12:18PM tresler79 said

I was dead set going empire for the release of star wars. Then after doing some research on various forums I ultimately decided to go republic since so far they are the underdogs. I did this in WoW as well when it came out (back when alliance outnumbered horde).

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 1:33PM SteamPunkJin said

"Or I'll spend months saying that I have absolutely no urge to play an upcoming MMO, but at the 11th hour I break down and buy it."

Feeling that way w/ Star Wars in a big way, I keep telling myself that I know better than to invest in an MMO at launch but the closer it gets to release the harder it gets to listen to logic.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 2:41PM Daeths said

not too often. im an altaholic so i eventually make em all so that cuts down on last minute changes

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 4:54PM FrostPaw said

I canceled my pre order for Age of Conan a week before release after the content past Tortuga felt so dead in comparison. While I have tried the free to play version and enjoyed Tortuga a second tiime I can't say I regret not buying it.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 5:29PM skardon said

@steampunkjin

ditto for me

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 1:03PM Lumin said

Almost never, actually. If I have a change of heart, it's usually one or two months into the new game when I suddenly decide that I'm not enjoying my current class as much as I had hoped.

I'm not much of an altoholic and switching mains in gear/level-based games is a pretty big deal to me.

The only game that I have had notable 'changes of heart' (quitting high level characters) is Aion - I rerolled from Sorc to Ranger one month in, and at 8 months rerolled from a 50 Asmo Ranger to an Elyos Ranger. The latter was due more to the community than the class/faction itself, though.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM