Posted: Dec 14th 2011 4:09PM Khalus said

Meh, if developers would stop making so many mediocre MMOs, the massive F2P transition of most MMOs of late wouldn't be happening. And I still won't be returning to this game, should it ever get this treatment here in the US...

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 4:39PM DancingCow said

@Khalus

Yup. I'd loved to be subbed to an MMO but have been waiting years for anything worth subbing to.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 5:38PM hami83 said

@Khalus What's the definition or a mediocre MMO? Is there a set standard or is it simply opinion based.

What YOU may deem unworthy of a sub, I or someone else may think the opposite.

Most companies go to F2P simply because there's more money.
Turbine stated that they would've been fine keeping LotRO a sub, but saw more money in F2P.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 6:04PM Mikx said

@Khalus Subs have a problem, because each new ftp game is putting pressure on all the sub games (as well as the ftp games).

FTP isnt just a matter of having a single, sketchy game few people have ever heard about. We're looking at multiple high profile games, and many of those games are based on licensed material, (ddo, lotro, SOE's star wars, sto, dcuo, conan) which is even stranger.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 4:12PM Khai mann said

That's news to me.... Since when did they decide to go F2P.... I might try it now :)

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 4:14PM Seffrid said

• 1 heart
I still have a sealed box on my back shelf!

Nothing here to lead me to try the f2p conversion.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 4:24PM MrFinesse326 said

Too bad it's only for Europe...

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 4:28PM edgecrusherO0 said

@MrFinesse326

Just wait...

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 4:24PM J45neoboy said

If it wasn't such a huge leveling curve after 20 I'd still be playing it. As of now, I'm refreshing my email waiting to get into TOR.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 4:28PM Sukiyaki said

Its not like there was some need for it unlike nearly all those Western failures who turned F2P (for the pay2win potential) and tainted the F2P game reputation.
But if this turns out like L2 launching several new servers actually due to rising demand....

All gameforge needs to prove is
-if they can handle the bots/hack user as good or better as NCSoft (in current reality, not like some ragequitte/hater stories who didn't play this game since open beta/at all)
-launch patches at least within 2.5-3.5 months after Korea
-shop like in L2 or better.
- restriction for trade/chatting for new accounts really just meant to restrict exploitation not to annoy players.
to ensure this already popular game might actually start to dominate the F2P market then.

Maybe they are even open for some server with PvE rules or start some real PR unlike the bricks at NCWest that ruined Aion with all their force.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 4:29PM (Unverified) said

Aion makes me sad inside, it never would have had so many issues if it wasn't strickly PVP.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 6:36PM Zyrusticae said

@(Unverified)
I've been seeing this in a number of places, and it really gets me wondering -

Just how many people sign up for games that are explicitly not made for their tastes?

It is a curious thing...

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 6:32AM Naru now in 3D said

@Zyrusticae Well, it's not quite as simple as that.

Aion has many reasons to attract people who aren't into PvP (or people who aren't into unbalanced, grindy gear-reliant PvP), that other MMOs don't have. The graphics, player and armor customization, and lots of the newer features like pets and housing are sure to attract players who would rather there was no non-consensual PvP.

In fact, it's easy to avoid PvP at least 80% of the time until you get to level 50-55.

And considering how often veterans at 55 with Eternal gear get to three-shot new players at 55 stuck with fabled gear, I don't blame people for wishing they could change the game to fit their "tastes."

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 4:37PM Sam not Spam said

I wonder how MMOs would do if WOW didn't have the social-network factor, plus existing characters? My friend's guild tried moving over, but about half of them didn't want to leave due to friends, not wanting to start over, etc?

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 4:52PM nimzy said

• Half a heart
I love hearing news about a game that isn't released in North America yet! It's so relevant to my interests!

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 5:27PM Alex Oglitchkin said

@nimzy Aion is released in NA.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 7:32PM Azules said

@nimzy It's a website, they exist for everyone, the world is bigger than North America, Believe it or not.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 2:37AM Khai mann said

@nimzy

Lame and very sad comment....

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 2:10PM (Unverified) said

@nimzy well not everyone lives in America so I find this very relevant to my interests.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 5:04PM Utakata said

I am curious, will they now allow players ingame ways to aquire those items on the cash shop as an alternative to purchasing, for example, similar to a points system CoH has now?

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM