Posted: Dec 14th 2011 2:34PM Warsyde said

In 4 years of playing City of Heroes I only ever bothered to earn and use a respec ONCE, and that was when they first introduced the respec trial. The "freespecs" they give out with significant revamps have been more than enough to let me reconfigure my characters when needed. I think I may have also used one (or even two!!) as veteran rewards (now Paragon Rewards).

A good build is an important part of enjoying the game, but all respecs do is let you tweak your character one way or another. They're even less useful now that the entire fitness line is inherent as a major reason to respec was discovering you couldn't get by without the extra endurance regen, or experimenting with whether you could. Fitness used to eat 3 whole power choices, and your travel power at another two. That meant a lot of primary and secondary powers had to be skipped. Now Fitness is free, travel powers only require one slot, and you can even buy a permanent travel power that doesn't use a slot at all. Respecs now seem like little more than enhancement slot shufflers.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 2:38PM (Unverified) said

One of the reason I love this game: optimizing your character is not terribly important. Basically, pick the powers you like and enjoy yourself. Only very rarely do I ever witness a hostile argument in a group due to specs, and in most of those situation, the rest of the group tell them to shove it

The only times I've ever had to remove someone from a group is when we're fighting an arch villain, or something akin to a raid boss in other games, and someone is playing what i like to call a novelty character. These are characters that only use abilities that are weak or their use is cosmetic for the sake of RP (like someone trying to play a regular guy without training or special skills). In these cases, which are few, the player leaves willingly and, as far as i can tell, with no ill feeling.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 2:07AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

True, optimizing your character isn't of paramount importance and in the current game, even concept characters don't drag groups down as much as they used to. But I think Eliot's mistaken in several of his points. From what I've gathered, talking to many people over the years, "casual players" aren't into "the numbers". So they're more likely to make....suboptimal choices that might warrant correction later on (especially when Incarnate abilities start to become accessible). If a person 6-slots Temperature Protection (for example), that's going to need correcting when they decide on their Incarnate abilities because it's overslotted and is essentially wasting a possible benefit. If you find that with your existing set bonuses and incarnate abilities that you don't need to be 28% over the resist cap and could use those additional slots to bolster another area, a respec's your only choice.

Also, AVs have been soloable since Issue 1 and, except for that brief period during Issue 3 when Jack Emmert thought it would be good to boost them to the point where they could/did 1-shot EVERYONE, they always have been. AVs don't compare to raid bosses in other games. About the closest thing to the raid boss comparison is the giant monster. Even with a bunch of concept characters (like the invulnerability tanker who only takes passive powers), AVs are essentially bags of hitpoints with very little added challenge over their lower counterparts (bosses).

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 3:28PM saintnicster said

Unless it's changed recently, you also get an earned (as in stacks with the Trial versions) respec after doing a patron arc

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 3:54PM urgan said

Zuh? Only three? Since when? I've never come across this limit...

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 4:57PM Sente said

@urgan

He means the three respec trials, I believe.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 5:38AM Ogged said

Ugly. With that I mean that on the frontpage the article cuts off before the blatant misinformation from the first few paragraphs is corrected.

So people who are just perusing the frontpage see "in CoH you can't respec indefinitely", then think "therefore it must suck" and might never give it a try.

Personally, I think that the process of respeccing in CoH is way too intricate and if you do a respec you really, really need a plan.
Or, better yet, an open Mids on your second screen with the build.

Slotting the 100+ enhancements after choosing powers and slots is a bitch too.

Earlier this year I managed to misplace ONE slot on a respec on my corruptor, after I realizing what I did I felt somewhat devastated :(

Global Chat: Blaugust triumphant