Posted: Dec 13th 2011 3:05PM Space Cobra said

Nice story arc.

You know, in retrospect, considering RL things (like the "inspiration" leaving NCSoft to take his company and go "independent").

Wonder how they are going to re-tool the Trials and Missions with him in it inside the game.

(Plus, he can always "get better", most superheroes do that, I hear...)

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 3:16PM Unshra said

@Space Cobra Yup worked for Superman, die, have multiple sups some real some fake, get better and come back. :-p

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 5:32PM Sente said

@Space Cobra

There are a few alternate universe Earths to check on if they have a spare Statesman :)

But it is more interesting from a story perspective to _not_ bring him back in some form.

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 3:21PM Samuraiko said

On the one hand, ballsy move. On the other, what the HELL were they thinking, announcing it this early?

Granted, we still get to find out the hows and whys, plus all the ramifications, but STILL!

I hope #6 and #7 live up to an almost unrealistic level of awesome.

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 6:04PM Eliot Lefebvre said

@Samuraiko

What were they thinking? Probably "oh, what big revelation could get people thinking about us instead of that other game launching today?"

Worked like a charm, too.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 2:02PM starka1 said

@Eliot Lefebvre

Interesting story but not enough for me to move away from playing Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO. When I compare the $5 of one of these Signature arcs to $30 of Going Rogue or any other MMO expansion, it is not a good deal content-wise.

I was never on the Statesman/Jack Emmert hating bandwagon and I'd rather pay $60 for an entirely new experience such as in Star Wars but if this truly gives other players much enjoyment then go for it.

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 3:37PM Daeths said

Well if it had to be some one it was best him. form every thing ive heard and seen (in game and out) he was what i would consider pretty lame and op

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 3:43PM (Unverified) said

Holy ! Really?

Okay, did not see that coming. Admittedly when it was first discussed back when the sig arcs were announced I was one of those who wanted it to be Statesman, but I didn't really expect them to do it. I don't think anyone did.

If they're going to do it right that's going to mean a hell of a lot of reworking to bring old story arcs up to date - starting with the STF and the LRSF. If they do make that effort I'll be really impressed.

(And you've got to love the meta aspect of them finally killing of Jack...)

I've had a pretty mixed attitude towards CoH for a while now, but this WILL make me resub again. Well played, Paragon.

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 3:51PM Gaugamela said

Meh. Comic book heroes dying. Anything more cliche? Only their eventual return from death.

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 7:03PM (Unverified) said

@Gaugamela

To an extent I think that's kind of the point. I mean it IS a comic book themed game after all, why not do even more comic book sort of things.

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 9:33PM Mikx said

@(Unverified)

Next up: advertisements for x ray specs!

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 4:03PM Cyclone Jack said

Hmm. This might be worth signing back up for a month. Just to show my support. ;) However, that would take me away from Skyrim, so, maybe not.

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 4:06PM El Furioso said

Statesman was the in-game embodiment of Jack Emmert. I'd imagine that most long-time players won't shed a tear to see him gone, me included.

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 4:07PM Ghostspeaker said

WOOHOO!!! Wow, I was hoping but I never thought they'd actually do it! :D

*Snoopy dance*

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 4:10PM Ghostspeaker said

Also, bravo Paragon on a brilliant way to bring back the old timers! I've been re-subbed ever since Freedom was announced, but I can think of several folks I know who will come back just to see Statesman bite the big one.

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 4:22PM dudes said

It worked for Batman and Superman. :D

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 5:13PM deadborder said

Given that Statesman was very much a product of the Godzilla rule of dialogue, I have to wonder what their writers will do without him.

That and I'm surprised that they'd spoil this rather than wait for the event to occur in-game.

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 5:23PM (Unverified) said

@deadborder

They probably figured it would get leaked or spoilered the second it hit the test server. This way they get to control it, and spark the interest of some currently unsubscribed players such as myself.

And it's a pretty good way to ensure their players will be talking about something other than the TOR launch...

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 5:28PM Sente said

@deadborder

Well, since they have talked about whoever would die would be removed from the game - missions, task forces and everything - a lot of people would get upset if things were removed without a fair amount of warning.

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 5:32PM StClair said