Posted: Dec 12th 2011 12:31PM Space Cobra said

Yeah, seems like Legacy system is in. :/ :(

Although, I got a thought playing Wizard101; I started a guy with just one name. Was amazed I got it. (You can choose/spin-the-wheel for choices and the last two columns have choices for "none".)

So, here I am, been wondering around all week, and I bump into ANOTHER player with the SAME singular name (he was AFK).

I am thinking/wondering, since the Legacy system gives you a separate name on every server and this is connected to your account, that anyone can choose the same Legacy name. I know Bioware hasn't even addressed this topic and I am speculating, but having multiple Legacy names (one for every server), it seems like a possibility. The only real important name is your first name, being unique.

So, it may be possible for RL family members to get the same Legacy name?

Posted: Dec 12th 2011 12:42PM Larry Everett said

@Space Cobra

The Legacy system is one surname per account per server.

You can have the surname Winston on the Cosmic Turbine server and Zeddemore on Darth Malak server, but your second account cannot have those names on those same servers. However, the second account can have the surname Winston on Darth Malak and Zeddemore on Cosmic Turbine.

Does that make sense?

Posted: Dec 12th 2011 12:50PM jacomdad said

@Space Cobra I don't' think that is how that works, but I could be wrong.

What I gathered is that you can have multiples of your characters with the same legacy name and they will all be able to gain legacy XP for that name so they can all earn the legacy rewards. I don't think legacy names can be shared across accounts, especially on the same server.

And to be honest, what happens in W101 has absolutely nothing to do with SW:TOR. both games are very dissimilar.

Posted: Dec 12th 2011 2:07PM Space Cobra said

@Larry Everett

Oh yeah, it makes sense; this is what I originally thought.

Well, I guess there will still be a bit of sadness among Real-families and the like.

@jacomdad

You have to think a bit deeper to see that it may be connected.

And I am only relating one feature of an MMO, a feature other MMOs share. I know Warhammer also had the ability to choose a surname (at level 20), but I forget if this server name was unique or not on the server; I *think* it is (and I may be wrong), given that my characters are in server limbo (I haven't returned to the game to re-assign them a server) but they still seem to have their surnames attached, even out of the server.

Let's consider the "old way" of this. Everyone needs a unique name, right? Well, our first names our the unique ones. Any add-on titles, such as this Legacy Surname, should be a non-issue, since we got the unique names out of the way.

Consider, if I name my character "Duran" and create a surname called "Duran", I'd be "Duran Duran". One should not impede the other, but Larry has stated that it is unique in both the first and last name on a particular server. Kinda weird, since we can go "name crazy" on another server and another and so on, but it's all tied to our account name, for that XP.

Wizard101 seems to somewhat do the same; ties your alts to one account, but gives you the flexibility to re-use a name, so, in a way, it seems like the same system Cryptic uses in their games, but it seems to hide the "@name" part.

There may be some funky code (because I am trying to picture how'd they'd code this legacy system), but I would say Bioware also uses an "@name" system, since we are all tied to the Legacy system anyway and our full account gets it's alts connected.

But, if they aren't using that function, for whatever reason, more is the woe, because that just brings up the "race to Chapter 1/Level 30-ish".

Posted: Dec 12th 2011 9:53PM Celtar said

@Larry Everett

One of the biggest failures for rp fluff is this surname policy that Bioware is doing. One surname for all my characters, just means I wont have a surname on. :( This failure and the modification of how the stuff you wear are really big issues for a mmorpg. Makes me honestly reconsider my collectors ed. pre order. I just keep seeing one error after another on the part of Bioware, and I kept the bar rather low expectation wise.

Posted: Dec 12th 2011 12:34PM Space Cobra said

"Where's Blind Mary?"

You know how many pop culture references I got in the Beta alone?

"Where's Mankirk's wife?"

"Chuck Norris is awesome!"

"Where is Luke?"

"Insert-Sports-talk-here"

"This is the new Barren's chat!"

"Where's Captain Kirk?"

"Where's Picard?"

Pheh! ;P

It won't go away completely.

Posted: Dec 12th 2011 3:36PM Luxomnis said

I'm wondering. Why wasn't the issue of when Jedi Shadow and Sith Assassin become tankable addressed? You guys answered for the Jedi Knight and Trooper...

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 1:40AM JuliusSeizure said

I'm pretty sure you can go to the fleet and even your faction capital world anytime you like. You don't need the missions. I did so on a level 6 character at the very end of beta to get to the dance party, just to see if it was possible.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 1:55PM Vazzaroth said

Ahh! You didn't answer my one question I had!

When do we get our speeder segway!? I think it's about 25?

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 1:41PM Taeniel said

@Vazzaroth You can train the driving skill at level 25 - if you have the collector's edition scooter, you can use it then. If you don't, you'll need to buy one - I think they're about 8,000 credits.

Of course, the driving skill costs 40,000 credits to train, so. Hope you've been saving up. :)

If not, PVP and space quests actually pay pretty well -- toss a few of those into your daily rotation and you'll come up ahead with the credits pretty quickly, in my experience.