Posted: Dec 11th 2011 2:39PM (Unverified) said

Star Wars: The Old Republic. The male character models look atrocious in my opinion. Environments however are very nice, as are female models. Then again playing as a male in motion it's even worse, as it has the worst running animation I've ever seen in an mmo before (And I thought the WoW human running animations were bad).

With World of Warcraft it differs...some screenshots taken in Northrend tend to look gorgeous, but anywhere else they're pretty underwhelming.

I'd have to agree with EQ2, though I certainly don't hate all its graphics. The character models and bland textures on certain environments don't help it.

Also can't agree more with opinions on Lotro...environments are beautiful, but the character models just look goofy in comparison.

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 3:12PM Faction 3 said

What game is the Article Screenshot from? I like that Mushroom guy. Looks pretty neat!

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 4:04PM corpusc said

@Faction 3 pretty sure its EQ2

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 6:31PM Graill440 said

Laugh, i bet the OP is slapping themselves as to why people just cant answer the topic in question and leave it at that.........my answer is i never can either to be honest.

As for my contribution to this blog thread, Until the MMO industry achieves the graphics the Unigine Heaven Benchmark does (people with low end comps need not apply) i will not be impressed, and that benchmark is a year and change old DX11 example. In other words, all MMO's to date look pretty stale, including TOR. What i have seen of the gameplay in GW2 is also stale, nothing cutting edge. MMO companies make games for low end masses, simple fact.

Its like Skyrim, a low res feast for the eyes.

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 6:37PM deadborder said

SWTOR looks... bland. Uninspired. Uninteresting. Graphically mediocre. Been there, seen that. And, above all else, very out of date

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 7:09PM (Unverified) said

@deadborder Translation, you are giving up games as you base it on looks. Not that I like SWTOR but there are more to games than graphics. There's a reason games like Baldur's Gate or Thief still appeal to people.

Posted: Dec 12th 2011 5:30AM wordup said

I'm not sure why I see so much hate for TOR's graphics? I haven't played the beta, and nor do I intend to buy the game when it's released, but I have to say Bioware have done a great of presenting the game. They have a bright and appealing aesthetic that is incredibly cohesive (a cohesion that WoW has lost in the 7 years since it's launch), the environments look great and well constructed, and the character models and their gear are interesting and full of charm. I'd say it's the antithesis of a game like EQ2, that appears to completely lack any sort of cohesive art direction.

I will say however, The animations I have seen from TOR look terrible, stiff, clunky, and unnatural. Bioware's animators would do well to take note of how the newest races in WoW were animated (especially the goblins), these are great examples of fluid, natural, and fun animation in a more "stylised" setting.

For these reasons I'd have to say that TOR looks better in screenshots, than it does in motion (in the videos I've seen at least).

Posted: Dec 12th 2011 5:33AM wordup said

@wordup

"Bioware have done a great *job* of presenting the game"

damn no edit :P

Posted: Dec 12th 2011 3:27PM Amlin said

@deadborder I imagine you're like me: just tired of themepark mmos in general. I hear ya though, swtor didn't excite me after my beta tries either.

Posted: Dec 12th 2011 2:54AM Jeromai said

I'd cheat and say Kingdom of Loathing. Stick figures, how much badder can it get! Part of its charm, though.

Honestly, I think I apparently have way higher tolerance to low quality graphics than most of the people in this comment thread, even though my preference is for as close to photorealism as possible.

Everquest 2 and ATITD are in the no problem category for me. I idly thought of Anarchy Online, but a website browse showed their screenshots to be not too bad, even if their characters are low-poly.

I'm gonna have to go with Everquest 1. That's my break point. I think about trying it, then look at the screenshots of blocky buildings and blockier characters and go ehhh, I may as well go play a text MUD or EQ2.

EQ1 lies in the neither here nor there - not quite a text MUD (I'm fine with text-based and ASCII stuff - roguelikes, interactive fiction) and not as graphically evolved as we'd like nowadays. One must have had been there at the cultural crux to appreciate it.

Posted: Dec 12th 2011 5:36PM deadborder said

Actually, I'm currently playing - and very much enjoying - a themepark MMO. But yes, SWTOR didn't set my world on fire by any stretch

Posted: Dec 12th 2011 3:29PM Amlin said

I'm laid back when it comes to graphics for mmos, it's pretty common knowledge that the games have low barrier of entry for older systems. I still have to say though swg for me never looks good. The models never clicked with me for whatever reason, felt like old EQ1 shots.

Posted: Dec 15th 2011 1:08PM Lumin said

Ignoring the obvious issue of graphics (style, quality, character models, possibly being dated) - there really are no MMOs that I have difficulty taking 'good' screenshots in. I have seen very nice and very horrible screenshots from various MMOs. A lot of it is up to the player and their own sense of photography, so to speak.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM