Posted: Dec 10th 2011 4:32PM h4ngedm4n said

I tried to get SOE to restore a character I had deleted before they implemented grandfathering (both of my characters were initially content locked, so I deleted one). I got this incredible reply:

"""
The grandfathering wasn't something that was implemented until a bit later on after launch, so deleting your character was an understandable train of thought. Unfortunately, we can't restore the character to you for a couple of reasons. The biggest thing is that your subscription level doesn't allow for it. Another problem is that there's no guarantee that the character restoration will work. We are usually very successful with restoring characters, but it all depends on the time frame and hopefully the deleted character is still in our database. If your subscription were to be upgraded to Gold then we'll be happy to attempt restoring your character to you.
"""

TLDR: subscribe to gold levels or you are SOL.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 4:53PM (Unverified) said

@h4ngedm4n

Came back for free myself, but to defend SOE they were pretty clear that if you aren't a subscriber that you will get very limited customer service. If you really want the character (and to get stuff from locked bag spaces) subscribe for a month.

Support SOE for even allowing us to grandfather in is my opinion on it.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 5:49PM h4ngedm4n said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified)
You can support SOE for their decision, I am sure many people agree with you. On the other hand, I feel burned and have lost any interest in playing. I only posted to show how foolish and short-sighted I perceive their customer service to be.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 8:41PM Celtar said

@h4ngedm4n

I don't see an issue with that one myself. You need to give something to get something that requires a bit more work on their part. F2P means just that. So far I've been impressed with SOE's efforts to woo back players.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 10:49PM (Unverified) said

@Celtar

Exactly. Customer Service costs SOE funding. Funding which we aren't providing as a F2P subscriber (unless we are actively buying). It really is pretty simple there. If we aren't willing to pay for their services, they shouldn't be expected to provide said services.

If that turns you off as a customer that is your right, but it is a horrible business practice to spend money when you aren't making it.

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 6:56AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@h4ngedm4n I got the same response. Was really low of them considering the special circumstance.

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 7:37AM Khai mann said

@h4ngedm4n

So you're angry because you don't want to pay for a service that is only available to paying customers?

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 5:28PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Limited customer support is ridiculous. What if you've subscribed and are going F2P for a month or two, if you need support all the sudden its gone until you pay again?

I had a poxnora account before they merged the game with SoE, around $200 of items on it gathered since the game had begun. Had a lot of fun with it. I left for a year, they merged and now my account is no where to be found. Talked to SoE, escalated the issue and still the same result.

EQ2 is a interesting game but SoE is so terrible there is no way I'm ever coming back.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 6:09PM MMOaddict said

If we didn't have precedence from games like LOTRO and AoC, who do this hybrid model correctly, than I could see any negativity toward SOE on this F2P debacle as being a bit presumptuous. But since those 2 games do have a good and well established system anything less is going to be met with consternation.

Speaking personally, I am still in a ticket queue waiting for my bronze membership to be upgraded to silver because I am a 7 year vet. Secondly, I logged into my 90 ratonga warlock after the grandfathering and realized I was naked. I'm not going to buy the right to wear the gear I already paid for in a prior month of subscription fee again. So this annoyed me to no end.

So I decided to try a brand new character, see how it played out from a F2P perspective. I quickly realized that the most important part of what would keep me playing was unavailable to me unless I paid an unlock fee. The ability to chat in the chat channels and use the auction house. These 2 things alone would have made any other fees less of a hassle, and again, Lotro and AoC don't limit you there. So in other words, to party in an MMORPG that is built on community, the very thing that lets me do so is hidden behind an unlock fee.

Here's the thing, I was planning to grab the new expansion after Christmas and possibly resubbing for a month or 2. But after this nightmare of just trying to play my already established characters or at the very least, find some F2P friends with my new character, I'm just going to cancel that idea and buy SWTOR, another month of Rift and WoW, and play Lotro instead. So, in the end, SOE loses my money and my loyalty.

For the record, I don't mind paying for certain aspects of a game if it is in F2P mode. That makes sense to me from a business perspective. But locking the most important core aspect of an MMORPG behind said fees instead of classes, quests, basically CONTENT, is one of the worst business moves I have seen in a long time.

Sorry for the rant, but EQ2 and SOE has really irked me this week more than any other game company in the past. Even more so than Cryptic and their day 1 patch overhauls on CO and STO.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 6:22PM (Unverified) said

@MMOaddict

Same here and I think it's important to know that people already enjoy their games, and just want better service and support. With so many similar games out there on the market that offer similar experiences.. it's becoming super important to gamers.

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 3:04AM DataShade said

@MMOaddict
> Secondly, I logged into my 90 ratonga warlock after the grandfathering and realized I was naked.

Yeah, that was a big issue for me. A lot of drops from under-20 nameds got tagged Legendary - I feel like some of them *weren't* legedary when I got the drops, but they are now - so all my lowbie alts were stripped of jewelry etc.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 8:29PM Saker said

This game suffers from what basically every game like it does. Too many expansions that went in different directions. The current game looks so different then what it was just a few years ago. Now it seems so much about instances and hired mercenaries... I don't even want to start about the awful :"art direction" they've gone in. It looks so like that other game... I mean the seriously over-the-top mounts/weapons/armor.... I log on and seriously wonder if people are trying to out do each other in the level of ridiculousness of their characters appearance... Was subscribed and had alot of fun prier to "the shadow oddyesy, which well, that was the end, hated the endless instance grinding. Here's hoping that Everquest Next will be good!

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 12:51AM Balraw said

I have never played EQ2 previously and until I saw it in the f2p section on Steam I didn't even consider trying it as its so old. Any way after seeing it on steam I gave it a whirl and found it a surprisingly fun game (just don't expect rift like graphics), so much so that I dropped a month sub into it so that I could see all it has to offer.

There is certainly plenty to get your teeth into and that's without getting the latest expansion(s) and the f2p seems to have lured enough players back that grouping isn't an issue. I am obviously wondering around with no clue and lost most of the time but its been fun so far and makes a pleasant change from my other mmo's

I will be interested to see how things fair in January 2012 though as a certain game is inevitably going to take players away from here (and other mmo's.) I am obviously not that confident as I have only dropped a month's (non recurring) sub into it but for now its a fun diversion for me all the same.

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 6:55AM Zyco said

I ignore the free to play model and just bought the new expac and tried out a Beast Lord and subbed. I am having a total blast and of course Frostfell is the best "Holiday Celebration" in any MMO. I was happy to hear that SoE grandfathered in old class/race combos to be free to play, I will use this maybe once in awhile when I am not subbed to log in and check on things, but the Free to Play model is generally more expensive than a simple monthly subscripion fee... its basically a bait used to get people hooked to the game and then subscribe for full features.. makes sense to me.

I hope that the Free to Play models die and the next EQ game does not have it.

Oh and BTW.. Beast Lords are quite unique and a really fun and different class. I wonder if this is a peek at what SoE has in store for the next EQ game.

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 7:43AM Khai mann said

All F2P have no customer support for free players, so I really don't know what people are complaining about.

I've been playing the game for free and haven't had any problems. Haven't even fond it necessary to upgrade to silver membership.

In my opinion MMO players are just childish kids who spend to much time complaining about everything instead of just having fun. It is a game after all.... just a game....

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 8:56AM MMOaddict said

@Khai mann

So you like not being able to chat with anyone...in an MMO?

You like not being able to sell or buy items from the brokers...in an MMO?

You like not being able to wear that cool piece of loot that just dropped because it's legendary or fabled...in an MMO?

I personally don't mind races and classes being locked, that makes sense. But the 3 things above as well? Please. Also, complaining about a game isn't like complaining about your football team losing. We are paying customers, or could be depending on what you want to spend, and therefore we have a right to complain to the business we want to buy from.

Going by your reasoning, you make that guy who just had hair in his food at his restaurant who piped up and complained look like a little baby. See how that doesn't really work in your favor?

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 12:09PM Khai mann said

@MMOaddict

Not at all. I would complain because I paid to eat at the restaurant.... I wasn't getting the food for free. So there goes your reasoning....

If I ever decided to use the paid services I'll be sure to pay for them. Until then, I'm not going to complain about playing a game for free and having a good time while doing it.

Like I said before, other F2P MMO have exactly the same limitations as EQ2. It doesn't bother me one bit....

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 1:17PM (Unverified) said

@MMOaddict

You can chat just fine if you make a single one time purchase of what is it, something like $5 dollars?

Legendary and Fabled items are able to be equipped if you buy a unlock. They come as a item with five charges for 150 SC if I recall.

Master Spells have a very similar unlock.

If you don't like the F2P system you have three options. 1, quit playing. 2, keep playing and either deal with what you don't like or unlock what you don't like. 3, subscribe to the game and not have to worry about it at all.

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 2:58PM MMOaddict said

@(Unverified)
That's what I've done. I'm not going to play it OR let any hype toward it go unchecked. AGAIN, if we didn't have precedence from LOTRO and AoC doing this F2P system better, than you would have a point. But you don't because it is done better by their competition.

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 3:01PM MMOaddict said

@Khai mann

LOTRO and AoC do NOT have the exact same limitations. Once again, if you people are fine with them schticking it to you, that's your problem. I'm not going to be the next sucker though when 2 other game companies do it better. /end topic.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM