Posted: Dec 10th 2011 8:10PM (Unverified) said

The more I see The Mog Log on Massively the more I get a little interested in trying Final Fantasy XI again (maybe in a few months with SWTOR dropping on us in the next few days).

Is there any incentive or reason for a person to start a new character in Final Fantasy XI anymore? It seems to me a brand new player to the game would have no chance nowadays to get into the game.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 10:16PM Khalus said

@(Unverified)

FFXI is always worth trying, but to really get the most out of it, stay clear of Abyssea.

There is so much to see and do, with 12 incredibly great story-lines to play through before ever reaching Abyssea, however, finding people to help clear some of them at their appropriate level may be quite difficult. That has always been my problem is just finding people that want to see the story again or even for the first time.

Course you could always get a few jobs to level 95 or 99 should be unlocking soon, then go back and solo/duo most of them. I've been meaning to do that myself, but I've been busy with other games and work. Regardless of how you are able to see the story-lines, they're well worth it, at least from what little I've been able to experience!

{Just an FYI, pretty much every storyline battle was possible to defeat at lvl 75 with 2-6 players, save for a few 18-man battles, but now even those can be done with a few max level characters.}

Overall though, it'd be best to return with 1-2 friends that want to see the story line too, plus it'll make not only leveling easier and faster, but also getting past most of the limit breaks starting {first at lvl 18 for sub-job} then starting at lvl 50 much easier to complete.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 9:33PM hexaemeron said

Jesus, the spam is a bit much.

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 12:58AM Alph said

Be careful when giving FFXI another chance, especially if you've played it before.

Abyssea is pretty awesome, I must say. It's a complete change of pace from how the game used to be. I rejoined and played for about 4 or 5 months(even bought a second account).

However, after the "FFXIV salvage and recovery team" changes, FFXI has fallen right back into it's old ways. There was even an article on alla with quotes from some of the devs talking about how they saw Abyssea as a problem more than anything, despite the overwhelmingly positive fan reception. Heck, the title of that article could have been renamed to "Why, exactly, Alph quit FFXI again". =/

Posted: Dec 13th 2011 5:00PM (Unverified) said

@Alph Really Abyssea saved the game and hurt the overall identity of the game at the same time. It was/is a wonderful addition to an aging game. It gave a lot of longtime players a real opportunity to level up some jobs they probably never would have gotten a chance to level. I for one leveled Scholar and Blue Mage at the end of my tenure with the game thanks to Abyssea.

Abyssea even finally left my Summoner job become my focus after many years with Bard and Red Mage as my mains.

The real issue with Abyssea is not necessarily Abyssea itself, but the level cap increase. The increase crushed what had been so completely the draw of the game for so long. Its stability and the sheer amount of which to explore, do and accomplish. By staying at 75 for 7 years and adding mission sets, new areas, and new types of end game progression in each expansion, SE had given us a game where we felt like we always had something viable to do. One of the few MMO's to consistantly achieve that.

Abyssea took this away. It made old content as obsolete as old content in games like WoW. It did even worse, by giving us "gear progression" where XI had previously had very little.

I would agree with Khalus whenever I suggest XI to someone else. Try and steer clear fo Abyssea for as long as you can and make a best effort to experience the vast breadth of content that is available in the game.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 11:45AM mattwo said

@JuliusSeizure Dang, beat me to it!

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 1:09PM myr said

re: WHM "But the lack of punch can be overcome."

Maybe, if you're replacing one white mage with three red mages and/or scholars. That's basically the healing difference in Abyssea, anyway. And even then the three replacements will pull much more enmity each than the one white mage would.

Of course, outside of Abyssea it depends on what you're doing... a red mage or scholar can keep up with healing most old content. Haven't played the past few months to know anything about Voidwatch, but I bet you'll want a white mage there too.

I'd also throw in warp as a benefit of black mage sub... but I guess that's not nearly as useful anymore with super cheap warp scrolls, as long as you remember to buy them.

But yeah, I'd say the three classes are pretty well balanced right now. If anything, black mage kind of gets the short end of the stick, because nuking is used more for procs and less for doing damage lately. Again, speaking from no VW experience.

Other than that good writeup :)

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 2:28PM (Unverified) said

nice to see you gave redmages some respect.

unfortunatly,your slightly wrong on saying redmage is a bad sub,it was but is no longer.the reason i say this is now with jobs 90+ if you sub rdm you can convert and refresh yourself.

you also forgot to mention that at max level reds dont need others to take down large prey.

Posted: Dec 12th 2011 12:22AM Galedrid said

Jooooooobs.
Not classes.

Jobs.

Posted: Dec 16th 2011 11:47AM mattwo said

You forgot to say "The white mage casts the spells that make the peoples stand up!"

Course, the more important spells are the ones that make the people STAY up lol.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM