Posted: Dec 10th 2011 12:42PM (Unverified) said

Nexon has this game now? Hmm.

I was always impressed by the popularity and high ratings I've heard about this game. Never understood how turn based combat would work out in a MMO...

Guess now's the time to try it.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 6:38PM Samcha said

@(Unverified) both of my 60+ year old parents play this game like it's crack. I've played it a little bit, but it doesn't interest me that much.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 12:46PM (Unverified) said

Atlantica Online has some really excellent/unique content which is offset by the amount of money you would need to invest to compete at levels 100+

The Item Mall sells you randomized boxes which really equate to gambling and is a very distasteful practice that really gouges customers and creates a clear demarcation between those that have spent a LOT of money and those who have not.

Nexon really should take a look at D&D Online's online store which has really set the gold standard (IMHO) for micro-transactions.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 1:22PM Fakeassname said

@(Unverified)

Nexon's not the problem, Ndoors (who were bought by Nexon a few years ago) are the ones who developed & destroyed this.

*sigh* it is honestly the most original and entertaining MMO I have ever played, too bad it's cash shop is also one of the worst.

I used to dream of the day Nexon would take over this title and convert it to their cash shop format, warts and all it would have been a vast improvement. alas, twas not to happen ...

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 2:20PM extispex said

@(Unverified)

That's not only really stupid, disgusting, and misogynistic, it is also doesn't work at all as an analogy, which means you just wanted to troll and say it.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 4:24PM (Unverified) said

@Fakeassname : "it is honestly the most original and entertaining MMO I have ever played, too bad it's cash shop is also one of the worst."

Agree 100%. If ever there was a game that a western developer & publisher needed to steal ideas from and make an awesome subscription game, it's Atlantica.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 5:51PM Fakeassname said

@(Unverified)

I would prefer it still being F2P, though the game has enough strength at it's core mechanics to stand on it's own as a p2p, but that's just my preference of MMO.

hell, I could even stand for it to scale back to simply being p2w as that in itself would be an improvement. it's this gamble to win bullshit that is way out of line: $10 a spin for a mount box, $5 a spin for a backpack / wing accessory, $1 a spin for a costume (need 2 for a full set) ... and all of that is stat gear you will simply get stomped in PVP for not having while PVE will simply roll you.

I supposed that I should mention that those prices are actually an improvement since Nexon stepped into the picture: I remember when mount boxes were $15 a pop and (from eyeballing the details listed on the AO site) the chances of winning the mount in question have probably gone from 0.01% to about 0.05%.

most people I know who still play only do so because it would be too painful to quit and walk away from the shit ton of money they wish they hadn't invested in it.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 6:03PM h4ngedm4n said

@Fakeassname
Don't forget the item mall enhance stones which aren't even guaranteed to improve your gear, and may even leave them worse off!

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 6:24PM Fakeassname said

@h4ngedm4n

ehhh, that type of shit is so prevalent in F2P titles as a means of selling gear for cash (because technically your not "buying" gear, your just buying the items that happen to be mandatory to get the gear in game) that I have given up that fight ...

if it comes down to having to buy that shit or not being able to progress in a game I will either re-roll a new toon to play through the accessible parts or simply quit the game and move on to another title.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 6:02PM h4ngedm4n said

Atlantica has some fun ideas but is unfortunately very grindy. I'm still sad they chose to go for a pay2win mentality instead of pushing its unique pvp the way of e-sports.

Yes, its pay2win. All of the top tier pvp guys are either heavy mallers, or have invested thousands of hours grinding to get to the point where they can practically print game money.

One Shots: Hello, autumn