Posted: Dec 9th 2011 3:28PM (Unverified) said

@Zantom

I am with you, Zantom. I plan to log in this weekend and take screenshots of my houses, the city, my ships - and log out with my medic sitting on her favorite hill, watching a storm sweep over Corellia.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 3:32PM (Unverified) said

The only other mmo that comes close to SWG with respect to player housing (that I have played, anyway - and I play most of them :P) is EQ2. That housing is instanced, and not all game objects can be placed in a house, but there is still a huge variety of object, both looted and player made, that can be used to decorate. Add to that the new rating systems, encouraging creative players to open up their houses to the public, and it is pretty impressive. One player exploited a bug in the housing (and I do not mean that in a bad way) to create an entire Diagon Alley in a Gorowyn house. It's huge and laggy, but really well done.

It is a pale shadow of what SWG was, housing wise, but I will take solace there until some new sandbox game comes out and hopefully uses the SWG model for player cities, etc.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 12:06AM Quarlo said

I used to have a thriving business designing houses for people. From Sith Temples to Combat Headquarters to elegant palaces. I had a core group of crafters that I could count on to craft and rename a simple cabinet to 'Tomb of Darth Cruel" or turning a medica droid into a 'Sith Inquisation Droid".

The MMO market is screaming for another great sandbox game with one tenth of what SWG had. SWTOR will NEVER live up to the feeling of community that SWG created.

LONG LIVE MOS NOX!

Jackrabbit

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 1:25AM Yukon Sam said

The SWG housing system was, to a large extent, all the things we players wanted in Ultima Online but couldn't have due to the limitations of that codebase. It wasn't the perfect implementation of open-world housing, but it was a good, innovative shot at it. It could have worked better, but it worked well.

Unfortunately, the world's all gone to instancing. No current MMO developer has advanced as far as we were 10 or 15 years ago.

Sad.

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 2:23PM BasmatiJoh said

Great article, MJ :) I too am the "stop and smell the roses" kind of player and really appreciate when MMO's mimic the little nuances that happen in everyday life.

Love the description of this system, and I truly wish it was incorporated into more MMO's. It seems out of the multitudes of companies that shout that -their- MMO allows for a player to truly make their mark, there's nothing like the freedom of SWG's system that really must make a player feel like their establishing themselves in another world.

Although I've never taken part in SWG's community in much depth, I did greatly enjoy my time that I spent there.

Posted: Dec 12th 2011 1:34PM drunkingamebar said

I don't know how much game time I logged decorating my GH, and houses, but holy crap the possibilities were ENDLESSSSSS!

Posted: Dec 19th 2011 7:49PM zuchaka said

hey i was tatooine today awwww too soon, do not ever i mean ever incorporate the urban sprawl trash ya i am calling the housing system from swg trash....into swtor....would be the worst mistake ever......swg in general was a great game for its time.....but smedley ruined it a long time ago period. I am so sick of people who are stuck in the past trying to ruin future games with ideas that belong in the past