Posted: Dec 10th 2011 4:00AM Addfwyn said

@(Unverified) I don't understand what you mean, how do you have to compete with gold farmers or the like? Just...don't play with them. If you want to play by yourself, you can. How would that affect what drops you get? It's not like there's a set amount of Two-Handed Axes of Awesome lying around that you won't be able to get if the botters get all of them.

Heck, even if you play with the botters, your loot is instanced so that they couldn't even take what drops for you to begin with.

Never could quite grasp the people against always online systems either. Do people these days that play video games still not have internet at home? I assume they must if they can get on forums to complain about it.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 5:12AM (Unverified) said

@Addfwyn
Single player play has to be done online, on the servers. Blizzard has already said they will control the drop rate of items so certain things won't flood the market.

So think of it this way. I may be in one instance of D3, and 100 gold farmers may be in their own individual instances of the game. However, because the server controls the drop rates, that means a legitimate player has less of a chance for a drop rate. It has nothing to do with grouping with them.

Blizzard also has said if too many of an item gets on the game, they will nerf it (the stats of the item). So even if I don't participate in the RMAH in any way, it would still affect my playing the game and not in a positive way.

This is why there needs to be an offline single player mode. Anyone who has ever been familiar and a long time fan of Blizzard knows that pre-merger, Blizzard was all about EXPANDING choices for gamers. This is restricting choices.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 5:16AM (Unverified) said

@Addfwyn
And also this has nothing to do about not having internet. It has to do about choice. Why should I have to play ONLINE for single player? Remember Sony when they were hacked? What if the same happens to Blizzard, do you want to be able to go weeks without being able to play the game even single player? And why can't I take my laptop to the park on a nice day and play there? Or even play for a few minutes at class? Sorry, but too many other games give me freedom of choice to be tethered to a cord (figuratively speaking).

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 4:20PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) : "Blizzard has already said they will control the drop rate of items so certain things won't flood the market."

Dude, this is the sequel to a game that had items with drop rates of like 1 in 8 million. I don't think we need to worry that the best items are going to suddenly BECOME really rare to support the real-money auction house - they were ALREADY as rare as winning the lottery.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 4:42PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
So because they may be rare to begin with, making them more rare should not be of concern? By that logic what's the point of playing the game at all?

I don't think rationalizing the fact that farming and botting are being legitimizing is going to help. I mean, D3 will be a huge success, at least in the first several months, but much like with WoW, the handwriting is on the wall where the problems will eventually creep up.

Not to mention, it still is a poor excuse for why I have to compete with these farmers and botters when I would be playing single player anyway. Blizzard is no longer at the place they once were when their games were worth being inconvienced to play versus some other game.

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 10:22AM Mystal said

@(Unverified) You're under the mistaken impression that my feelings about Blizzard are based on one particular feature or another, which is not what I said or implied.

I'm tired of their wholesale shift in culture, from a company that was primarily concerned with making great games, knowing that the money would inevitably follow, to a company that's primarily concerned with making money, and which designs their games now with monetization as the main game design goal.

Whether it's forcing people to play their games only online so that they can more easily control the experience (so that they can sell more virtual goodies), or ignoring basic features like chat channels or multi spectator replay so that they can push Facebook as another tool for monetization, or the decision to embrace RMT as a core feature of their new games, the tail is constantly wagging the dog.

I don't mind DLC, I don't mind micro transactions. I don't mind sparkle ponies, as long as all of this stuff is of the optional/extra variety that simply adds another level of value to the game for those who want it. But when core game design is being implemented (like the "Pokemon battles" system in their next WoW expansion) that's blatantly meant to coerce customers into buying these virtual "extras" then it's no longer delivering extra value.

It would be like if Ford put coin operated AC in all their cars, then made it so that the windows can no longer roll down. That's not a valuable feature, that's an effort to soak the customer for everything you can.

Posted: Dec 12th 2011 8:42PM Razomir said

@Mystal You are absolutely correct. Blizzard have taken this too far I believe. Games have always been and forever should be for the gamers and their enjoyment, not to oil up the money train. I am astounded that people dont have enough foresight to understand what will happen in the long run. At first we will all be enjoying the new system, some of us lucky enough might even make a buck or two. Great so far. But in time when the gold farmers and potential botters pick up speed it will be nigh impossible for anyone to make any substantial sum as prices will drop. The only feasible option will be to become a gold farmer but then...where is the fun in that? Not only that but Blizzard will have no motiovation to stop botters and gold farmers, other than the symbolic "crackdowns" that I am sure we will hear more about than see. And in all the meantime Blizzard will be enjoying raking in the fees from any transaction no matter how small the individual prices get. And when they get too small - surprise! Expansion is here with new and more powerful items. They provide virtual content for us to haggle over with our actual money and they make profit for being the middle man. I used to be a fanatic level fan of the previous two games of the diablo series but I am well tempted to turn my back on this one. On principle if nothing else. Gaming is for the gamers. That is all there is to it. Not the corporations that want to stick their hands in the gaming cookie jar.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 5:37PM (Unverified) said

So with this and the farther homogenization, I'm betting the next big step is a jump into consoles for WoW.
Activision looks at the latest CoD numbers and drools over the money they could make with Warcrack doing the same DLC BS.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 5:42PM smartstep said

"Whether or not you're aboard with Blizzard's increasing fixation on monetizing all aspects of its games, this train is certainly picking up steam."

Well my wallet takes other direction. Definately my way and Blizzard way parted some time ago, this news only assure me I did right.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 6:24PM SKYeXile said

yea...i thought blizzards plan was to make like 1% or something for each D3 AH transaction, now they effectively make 100%.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 7:00PM Stilllove said

You can always just buy and then sell stuff in order to cash out your BBalance

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 7:00PM Stilllove said

You can always just buy and then sell in order to cash out.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 8:35PM (Unverified) said

Can we get a little journalistic integrity here? Blizzard's "point" system isn't different from any other electronic distribution credit system I've ever encountered. Can you cash out from EA, Microsoft, Riot, Turbine, etc. once you put money into those accounts? Obviously not. Nor will you be able to do so with blizzard.

However, blizzard has made it apparent that they're doing EVERYTHING possible to make sure if you want to convert RMAH diablo 3 sales into cash, you will have that opportunity, including pairing up with paypal to provide that functionality to an enormous number of people. It is disingenuous at best to suggest that somehow blizzard tricked us with their RMAH plan and what they're really going to do is take someone else's money and then prevent you from converting that money into cash.

Unless they are legally unable to facilitate that transaction, there is no reason to think that you will be unable to make real money using the RMAH and to put it in your bank account to go buy a pizza. Stop pretending otherwise.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 1:19AM SgtBaker1234556 said

@(Unverified)

Justin is known for writing bitter Blizzard troll articles. Don' t know why really, rest of his stuff is pretty good.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 1:18AM SgtBaker1234556 said

A bit like PLEX - but with interconnected games, sweet deal for me atleast since picked up the 12 month deal of WoW. I'll get D3 free and while I'm playing it, I can use my earned credits to pay for WoW gametime.

What's not to like?

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 6:25PM (Unverified) said

@SgtBaker1234556

I rather transfer the profits to PayPal and buy me some RL goods :)). Just opt to transfer to Paypal.

I saw that the PayPal transfer to my bank is free of costs too. So a small 3% fee from Blizz to PAyPal and the MONEY is all MINE ... my precious .... ;))

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 2:47AM Caspa said

I see this as a good thing really, if blizzard wants to allow idiots to buy in game items for cash then I will happily take advantage of those idiots...

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 5:26AM dudes said

My main concern with this scheme is getting a permanent ban once there's a large Blizzard balance on the banned accont. Power could be abused, trivial things used as reasons to ban to retain the money so its not used in the balance. While I am provisionally optimistic that this will be a good business plan for ActiBlizz I am hesitant to put any large amount of cash on the balance due to the stated reason.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 7:21PM Valkesh said

And Blizzards headlong march into becoming more and more like Activision is succeeding in making me less and less interested in their products...

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 6:21PM (Unverified) said

@Valkesh

So when were players able to get real money by playing a role playing game son ?

Ok ? If you don't see the atomic bomb this will set off on all those lousy one way "buy loot on our developper's cash shop" than you are not very bright.

My epic pants will be worth a new jeans in RL, if I would want that.

Say goodbye to the virtual loot as of now. You transfer real life money with this game.

if Diablo has ANY decent game play (and it is Blizzard btw), they have the next hit coming.

Everyone will just keep playing with this system even if level/gear capped.

Awesome.

A pity for the Blizzard/Wow haters. ::))