Posted: Dec 8th 2011 10:04AM Mikx said

• Half a heart
They beat EVE? Or is EVE somehow ineligible or did CCP simply not bother to report to the Guinness people because they have real lives.

And, oh, Guinness, how far you've fallen from the days when you covered real, important feats and statistics, like "Worlds fattest man to ever ride a scooter."

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 10:14AM Raikulxox said

@Mikx What? EVE has around 50k at peak times, far below the 250k tanks got.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 10:55AM Mikx said

@Raikulxox Ah, I thought it was 350-400k, but it does stand to reason that would be total subscribers. Well, good for ftp.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 10:30AM slickie said

Where are they getting all these players from? Russia?

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 10:36AM bobfish said

@slickie

Yes, something like 75% of the WoT players are on the Russian service.

It is still pretty impressive, though I imagine if one of the Chinese MMOs used single server technology like this they'd blow the record away. D&F Online in China regularly gets over two million CCU when you add all the servers together.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 12:37PM Space Cobra said

@bobfish

Can you imagine? 2 million active connections...on one server?!?

I cannot even begin to...

...no, that's not true. I sorta can imagine it.

But it involves lots of fire and sparks and overheating and probably a call to the fire department!

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 1:58PM bobfish said

@Space Cobra

I think the character database would implode before the hardware does :)

There is probably some smart way of using multiple databases for it, but I'm not technically minded enough to know such things.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 11:17AM darkilya said

This is purely marketing BS. The game is structured like Call of Duty or Battlefield title, both of witch has peaks of simultaneous players in millions. Just like in these games, you are locked completely from all in a 15x15 match, which is not massive even compared to FPS.

It is completely meaningless comparing these petty fights to massive battles of hundreds of EVE ships.

Hey, MAG had 128x128 battles and it was routinely berated in comments here as not an MMO. Why does WoT gets a free pass, even though it has far lesser scale? Why does it deserve front coverage here, and not in 'Not So Massively' column with LoL and BC where does it truly belong?

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 11:29AM avaloner said

@darkilya

Just out of curiosity, I have never played EVE thou have been tempted to check it out, but dont have the download capacity to download it (10gb a month capacity). How often do space battles with hundreds of ships hapen? From what I have heard it has prety harsh repercusions if your ship is destroyed, so I would imagine that this sort of thing happens very little.

I am not trolling by the way (so get you finger away from the down vote button:P I honestly wish to know how often these battles occur.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 11:31AM Mikx said

@darkilya So its not a persistent environment, like 250,000 people battling on a single wow server, its a bunch of people playing SC2, TF2, CoD or LoL matches?

If that's true, Guinness truly blows. Get back to important need to know stuff like the world's longest fingernails, biggest eclair or longest recorded belch.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 11:34AM (Unverified) said

@darkilya I figured it was something like this.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 11:49AM darkilya said

@avaloner not that common - you need to join a big enough corporation (a guild in EVE terms) to field such numbers. Outside of intense war periods, it's not a daily or even weekly event. But I did not enjoy these big battles that much, really. As a new player, you'll have much greater fun flying with a couple dozen small ships, and it's much easier to organize. If done properly, you can take out much larger, more expensive ships with only minimal losses this way.

But I mostly mentioned EVE here as to give scale of what is possible in a pureblood MMO, what does the first M stand for. I could give Lineage 2 as an example as well with it weekly sieges seeing hundreds of players fighting for each castle.

As for losses, - yeah you lose everything. But, if your side wins the battlefield, some remnants of your spaceship is still there for your friends to pick up along with remnants of the opponents. Losing side lose everything though. But many corporations do reimbrush ships lost by their members in these battles.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 11:54AM darkilya said

@Mikx Yes, once in a match, you can only interact with other 29 players. There is XP and some inventory management, but that's not really different from many modern shooters.

They did add some territory control later, decided by matches, but it sounds just like base control in MAG.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 3:01PM jimr9999us said

@darkilya

I totally agree with you. In fact I'm puzzled why WoT's is on Massively at all.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 11:24AM Buhallin said

It's pure sleight-of-hand. They call it an MMO, and so it is!!

There is some level of persistence because of the clan wars, but given that the vast majority of WoT players don't even participate, that shouldn't qualify it.

But hey, it's all in what you can convince the press of, right? I mean, call it an MMO enough and poof! It's an MMO!

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 11:31AM avaloner said

@Buhallin

The same could be said (and was said) about the orginal guild wars.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 11:55AM darkilya said

@avaloner I don't think NCsoft ever called GW1 an MMO.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 12:49AM Buhallin said

@avaloner Perhaps... But at the very least the common areas for GW were indeed common, and could have dramatically more people in them. You could interact with them in the same manner as the instances (which you cannot in WoT) trade with them (which you cannot in WoT), etc.

I'm actually sympathetic to the argument that GW wasn't an MMO, but it's still way, WAY more of an MMO than World of Tanks.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 11:37AM (Unverified) said

Is this really a Guiness World Record? I cant find it on their site.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 12:25PM Saker said

More pr bs from a company that takes pr bs spin to truly epic heights (the only thing they truly do to epic heights).