Posted: Dec 8th 2011 7:32PM Ehra said

One of my friends had gotten me into Diablo 2 and we were playing together for awhile before we got another friend into it. There's an armor set that transforms your character into the "vampire" monster model, along with granting your character a fireball spell. So my experienced friend and I got in a game together, he equipped his set, and went hostile with me. Then he ported to an area I was taking my new friend through which had mobs that had the same vampire model.

Invited my new friend to the game and I started taking him through the area to help him out. Things were going fine, then my experienced friend rushes into the room, one shots me (his character was way higher level than us), and starts chasing my new friend around. My new friend opens a town portal and runs through, then freaks out when my veteran friend takes his own town portal back to town and keeps chasing him.

All three of us had a good laugh after.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 7:47PM Irem said

@Ehra
That's a pretty amazing prank.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 8:03PM Graill440 said

• Half a heart
The internet is devoid of common sense, emotion, and full of kneejerk reactions, and as such this media has an etiquette that must be followed, there is no choice if you are to survive.

If i could make a law on this planet in which thin skinned people and folks brought up in innocence would be banned from reading or posting on forums or blogs i would.

Common sense. This covers but is not limited to the people that know what they should or shouldnt type because of my points, and those that have no clue about the subject or potential problem prose and then connect the dots using a crayon.

Emotion. The typed word has no emotion, a sentence some unkown entity types has no feelings nor can it make someone laugh or cry, that is the purvue of the individual involved, in all cases it is the injected, assumed emotions the reader puts into what they are reading, not the intent of the writer. For a writer to be clear an emoticon or indicator of mental state must be used, or as is the norm, people will read what they read with their own emotions spoiling the read.

Unless a blogger or writer states what is in the writing, contextual or otherwise in regards to emotion everyone must assume the post is neutral, its the smart thing to do. People need to realize the typed word is vanilla and how your own day went will influence what you percieve when you read, that and just plain adding in your own assumed emotions into a piece without knowing the authors intent, aside from an emoticon being provided for your base of reference.

Kneekerk reactions are the norm for immature people and those with poor education in thw ways of interpreting the internet when they adventure into it. These people use lack of common sense, inject their own emotion into what they read assuming what they think is correct. These folks look foolish, like the people in live conversations sticking their own foot in their mouth on the spot. these folks tend to be the entertainment of the internet and seldom realize what they have become.

I had one incident in Fortunes way waaaaaaaaay back in AC. It led to a member leaving and the subsequent drama we lost 4 more, simply because of moral stands on the issue and not admitting they had been wrong in overreacting. It went like this this...........

Myself, and several others were spending time joking and generally being rude to each other in guildchat and laughing up a storm when a joke i had heard at work (very funny at the time)

It was that i had my Dic in my hand (chinese monetary unit), it was old and tarnished and quite small. Everyone howled with delight except for one person, we noticed they had stopped typing and asked the rpoblem, i was told i was being vulgar and should kicked, naturally that brought all kinds of reactions, including alot of unfriendly press to the offended person. A couple folks explained the joke and for several minutes the offended person typed nothing in return. We dismissed it, until the next day when we got emails asking what all the sexual harrassment was about etc, etc.

in the end the offended person left, took some friends with them and made a point to tell us on the forums we were all on ignore.

Dic in my hand.....that there is funny.....

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 9:08PM ElfLove said

@Graill440

I'm going to try and work this out here...

"It is these types of people that need education and need to stop the kneejerk reactions and think before they type, it is these people that cause the drama in guild, forums, etc that need the proper education and knowledge to function properly on a plain white surface devoid of emotion."

Does that apply to people who makes deeply vulgar, racist, homophobic, and generally tasteless humor?

Also if you think the typed word is devoid of emotional reaction, why did people find your joke so funny? It should have been a neutral statement that they had no feelings about.

If what you say is true then how do you read books? Can you read books if words hold no emotional value?

You can't say that typed words have no emotion, and then say that your joke was funny, and then get offended that people got offended over your joke.

That makes no sense at all.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 9:11PM ElfLove said

@Graill440

Also I am not expecting an emotional response to my above statement...remember what I was is just words that have no weight, and should therefore have no emotional reply.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 10:08PM anothermedium said

@ElfLove

I'm inclined to agree with you. Written communication isn't devoid of emotion but perhaps what is written is assigned meaning more so by the recipient than the sender? Of course without vocal inflection or facial recognition, there is more potential for communication to be jumbled but the emotion in something truly well written should be virtually seamless in its sending AND reception.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 4:29AM Graill440 said

@ElfLove

And you wont get any emotion from me unless i specify it. Your opinion is as valid as anyones. The simplicity of the answer you ask "Why did people find your joke so funny" really? You have to ask and cannot think this out for yourself after reading what i typed? (raised eyebrow)

As for books, i have never read a book that does not setup the emotion for the coming situation, if they did not people would assume, all the time, which is bad as i pointed out. Not sure where you are coming from other than you are trying to counter my argument, which you have every right to. It is curious you need these things explained though.

Have a Merry christmas (Grin)

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 4:35AM Graill440 said

@ElfLove

Its a slow night (laugh)

One last thing, you do a disservice to yourself and the readers in what you typed in your paragraph...

" Also I am not expecting an emotional response to my above statement...remember what I was is just words that have no weight, and should therefore have no emotional reply"

Some will understand what you tried to do there as did i, a good portion of readers will not, i guess your intent is your own as was your motive, overall a poor choice.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 8:56AM (Unverified) said

@Graill440

No need to get so sensitive about this stuff. If I could make a law on this planet in which thin skinned people and folks would be banned from reading or posting on forums or blogs, I would.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 9:22AM fallwind said

@ElfLove "The typed word has no emotion"

This just in, Lovecraft raised from the dead to write "This is meant to be read as scary" at the top of all his work.

Seriously, have never read a good story, short, long, or otherwise, in your whole life?

""Why did people find your joke so funny" really? You have to ask and cannot think this out for yourself after reading what i typed? (raised eyebrow)"

Did you prefix it with "this is a joke, please read this neutral text as funny"? Cause if not, then ElfLove's point stands. You told a joke, you meant it to be funny, but as you said: "Your opinion is as valid as anyones." so the people that thought you were being a vulgar jerk were 100% valid.

Have a happy Yule

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 1:12PM SnarlingWolf said

@(Unverified)

Agree 100% let's get rid of the thinned skinned people. They can't take a joke and they cause drama. There is a reason I haven't joined a guild in an MMO in about a decade. I can't deal with all the sensitive and emotional people in what is supposed to be a fun escape from reality.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 6:32PM Trippin said

so graill, not to burst your bubble, but are you not to one always trolling everything except Wow? so don't throw stuff like immature to other people in here

just my 2 cents

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 8:42AM (Unverified) said

I had an experience that I still haven't lived down, although I find as funny as everyone else involved.

Was running ICC25 in WoW, just got done killing a boss and everyone was gathering to the next area. While running to everyone I ended up getting sapped... then ambushed by a rogue mob. Which then proceeded to vanish and run away.

There was about a 10 second pause, after which half the people asked in unison if they had just witnessed what they think they had seen.

Yep, I was ganked by an NPC.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 9:21AM (Unverified) said

I got yelled at by a guild member for teasing another member about being in TOR beta. People need to lighten up.

One Shots: Mandy the Christmas Whale