Posted: Dec 8th 2011 9:19PM Sam not Spam said

While I'm happy to see this, what about Final Fantasy XI? Couldn't that be played by PS2, PC and 360 owners together? With no segregation?

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 9:40PM Eamil said

@Sam not Spam

Yep. You could even buy the 360 version, install it, make your account/character, then download the PC client and play the same account on PC. I didn't play FFXI for long but I enjoyed having that freedom - some days I felt like playing with the keyboard, some days I preferred my controller (and I didn't have a 360 controller adapter).

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 10:28PM (Unverified) said

@Sam not Spam

Microsoft has some strict policies set in place that make it hard for mmo devolopers to devolope a mmo for the xbox. Dust 514 comes to mind. That is why CCP went exclusively with PSN. Microsoft wants a closed enviroment. Seems like they didn't want CCP to have a seperate server, but the game stored on a server with microsoft or something like that. Maybe one day a deal will be worked out and mmos will be accessable through all platforms.

But as far as this article goes, I am very excited that they allowed this even though I don't play. Always like to see developers try new things.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 12:18AM Balraw said

@Sam not Spam Yup FFXI has been there, done that before and is the reason I am into mmo's at all, first on the 360 and later on a PC purchased specifically so I could try other mmo's.

I think FFXI got a free pass on this before Microsoft/PSN got all bitchy about exclusivity and so forth. It killed this type of deal stone dead as far as consoles go. Its a shame as I am sure that there are others out there in console land (like I was) who would love what an mmo has to offer.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 9:42PM Thurro said

"Spacetime announces industry-first cross-platform implementation"
"If you've ever wondered about the feasibility of cross-platform MMOs..."

Pretty sure when I switched to a Mac, I didn't need to find new friends in WoW.
Just sayin'.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 9:45PM Syesta said

FFXI did it.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 9:59PM thud said

"There have always been technical walls between players on different platforms"

*cough* Apple *cough*
The walls he speaks of are not technical, but legal. Apple's licensing and app store approval polices are a huge headache.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 10:25PM Bhima said

This is a pretty big achievement to be able to cross ARM based and x86 based platforms. Its one thing to go from an XBOX to a PC, but to go from my phone to my PC is another thing entirely.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 12:11AM Dblade said

Actually the first was Quake 3 Arena for dreamcast. Both DC and PC players could fight each other, which sucked because us DC players rarely had a mouse and kb setup. While it wasn't an MMO, I think it was the first console/pc hybrid.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 12:34AM ImperialPanda said

There are no "technical" walls. The only wall is microsoft not wanting you to have your own servers.

Making a cross platform MMO is literally no different than making a PS3 and a 360 version of a console game. Or a PC, an iOS, and an Android version of the same app.

But hey, they need something to boast about, so I understand.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 3:12AM Miffy said

Not even an MMO, it's Guild Wars or Diablo.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 3:54AM Raikulxox said

How do they make that claim after XI did it 11 years ago without being blasted?

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 3:55AM Raikulxox said

@Raikulxox Err 9 years. Got years confused with title, heh.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 12:07PM Zenethian said

Uhm, Vendetta Online did this a while back, there's an Android version of it's game that plays in the exact same server and characters and such.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 12:08PM Fernando Blanco said

This is about crossing mobile and desktop (via browser). This is not about PC and consoles, like FFXI.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 4:44PM MewmewGirl said

Okay if you want to completely deny FFXI - Yslandia and numerous others have already crossed the mobile and desktop worlds in the past where you play on the same servers. Whatever way you look at it, these guys are NOT first.

Posted: Dec 12th 2011 10:34AM Fernando Blanco said

I don't remember playing FFXI on my phone.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories