Posted: Dec 9th 2011 6:53AM (Unverified) said

Awesome!

I had planned on waiting for a Station Cash sale before I came back to the game since I was going to have to unlock every character that I play. Now instead, with the next Station Cash I'll be buying the expansions that I'm missing and some other stuff in appreciation.

Classy move SOE.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 7:40AM Verkain said

It's like they read my mind. I got the F2P email and figured I'd give the game a look until next week when I could play SW:TOR again only to find my characters locked.

Right after I uninstalled the game I see this post. I definitely had to laugh at that!

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 8:36AM Tanek said

This is a very nice move for the returning players. As SOE said, it is not the greatest impression of a game going "free" when the first thing you have to do is pay to play your characters. :)

I am hoping SOE might have a solution for the other small roadblock I experienced, but I have not seen it yet. I was a subscriber a while back, so had characters on that subscription account. I then tried EQ2X, so had characters on Freeport. Now that those two services are combined, I have more characters than I have character slots and half of them are locked.

That in itself is not the issue. I understand the character slot limit for a Silver level player and am ok with it. However, SOE was the one deciding which characters were locked and unlocked and they went with the order they were last played. Obviously, this puts my EQ2X characters in the unlocked slots. If I want to play, say, my oldest EQ2 character instead, I either need to delete all my EQ2X characters, or purchase 4 new character slots.

I spoke to support and they do sympathize with the situation, so I hope there is some other solution soon. Until then, I have not logged in on any character just in case.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 9:05AM Yellowdancer said

@Tanek

Not getting what you are saying? They should all be unlocked now.

A guild mate deleted like 6 50+ characters so he could play with the character he wanted. I told him to read the forums first or buy the $5 3 day pass. But he deleted them only to find out they were locked because of the class restrictions. I know he's double kicking himself now.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 9:34AM Tanek said

@Yellowdancer With a Silver account, I have 4 character slots available. When the EQ2 and EQ2X accounts were combined, that left me with 8 characters, the 4 from EQ2X in the unlocked slots and 4 from EQ2 in the locked slots (not locked because of race/class, just because of character slot limits).

When SOE decided the order of the characters it was done by last played date. So let's number the characters 1-8, from most recently played to oldest played. 1-4 are from EQ2X, 5-8 are from my old EQ2 subscription. If I want to play #1-4, I'm good to go. If I came back hoping to play #8, though, my choices seem to be:

a) delete #1-4 (when a character is deleted, you don't choose which other one to unlock, the ones above it just slide down one slot)
b) purchase 4 character slots (again, you don't pick which one to unlock, it just unlocks the next number up)

I am hoping they put some more control into the situation. Had they started me with 8 locked characters and let me pick which I wanted, that would have been best. Barring that, being able to choose which to unlock would be an improvement.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 10:24AM (Unverified) said

@Tanek

If the characters were created prior to AoD launch, their slots should all be unlocked already. I had 12 characters on live and 4 on eq2x, and I had all 16 slots unlocked when f2p went live. (Well, ok the next morning, after the first hotfix for that)

Also after this morning's update, if they were created before Dec 6th, they are unlocked regardless of class and race packs owned too.

If yours aren't, file a support ticket.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 10:37AM Tanek said

@(Unverified) Hmm. And this is a silver account, or do you have a Gold subscription?

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 12:46PM Yellowdancer said

@Tanek

Oh, I see. I am sure a lot of people didn't consider what would happen when they merged. I know I didn't.

The odd thing is, I'm not paying for anything and all my characters are unlocked. I'm sure this is a bug and I will be thrown in jail soon.

I'm thinking they'll give everyone gold status to allow us to pick which characters we want. Hopefully they will.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 9:23AM (Unverified) said

bummer deleted a "class" locked char already

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 10:18AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) I did too. Open a ticket and they should be able to restore it.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 9:38AM Joshua Przygocki said

So this means I can have my beloved Warden!? I quit back in the middle of SF so yeah, she WAS created before Discovery and Velious

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 9:47AM Seffrid said

On the issue of character slots, my problem is that I have a lot of characters on both Splitpaw (was P2P) and Freeport (was F2P), but I only have a spare character slot on Freeport so whilst I'm entitled to create an additional character on what is now a single game I can only do so on one server and have to pay to do so on the other server. That seems pretty daft to me given that they're both now running the same game version.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 10:17AM (Unverified) said

Now, will we still have to pay $10 to unlock character slots for them?

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 10:54AM Seffrid said

UPDATE: Logging into Splitpaw this afternoon it turns out I do now have the ability to create a new character there as well as on Freeport, so seemingly these little gremlins are still being worked on by SOE which is good news.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 11:03AM real65rcncom said

I made a Fae conjurer years ago.

So does this mean I could now get to play that even though it was a premium character with the top spells or do they give you the toon and wipe all the tops spells/things I had away?

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 12:47PM Yellowdancer said

@real65rcncom

You have to buy an unlock for conjurer.

Your spells get downgraded if you are free. I believe going gold will bump them back up to master.

You can buy skill unlocks for your spells. These are cheap.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 1:00PM Tanek said

@Yellowdancer Actually, as long as it was a pre-existing character on the subscription account, I think the point of the announcement is that it will now be playable without an unlock. The unlock would be required to create a *new* conjurer, though.

As for the spells and items, I have not been logged in to check that bit out yet.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 11:46AM Kaseryn said

This will bring me back. Thanks SOE.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 6:09PM fidhren said

Hmm, I guess this is still not completely live yet, I have old characters that are locked classes that I can't seem to login to. >< Oh well.

Swordsman launches today