Posted: Dec 7th 2011 1:40PM drunkingamebar said

@Jorev I both love, and hate, the good ole days. A never ending debate of what is good, and what is bad.

My dream is Dark Souls as an mmo. More professions, bigger world, guilds, and scary sh*t every where you turn!

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 1:56PM dndhatcher said

@Jorev "Back when ... there was no tutorial, no minimap, the manual was vague on how stats, attributes, and skills worked, and the environment was unforgiving with significant experience loss upon death.
Those were the glory days of MMOs,"
And the days when MMOs were a small niche market of only a few fringe hardcore players. What happened to the first MMO to not do those things? It rapidly grew to the size of all the other MMOs combined.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 7:49PM scfs123 said

@dndhatcher
But...vanilla WoW didn't explain stats well either, its tutorial didn't cover alot, and its quests were extremely vague and unrewarding so that alot of people grinding to 60 instead of questing since it was faster.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 8:09PM Graill440 said

Gamers are products of one thing, developer norms. nd the answer is much more deep an intertwined than being or not being coddled.

There are very few gamers that can think for themselves, that have the tenacity and discipline to tell developers when they are doing something wrong, i am one of that minority that is looked on as rocking the boat and speaking or typing against the grain.

It only takes a few weeks to destroy a game company by witholding cash, developers then bend the the gamers will or they simply fail and another developer replaces them. There is way to much cash to be made, so it isnt like developers would simply stop making games, right now its gamers verse developers and the devs have won everytime with the exception of a few horrific examples not even the silver surfer could save.

In the end it is the gamer alone that lets the devs coddle them or not, in either case at some point gamers need to take their games back, we pay the bills, not the devs. Because we pay their bills it is our right to tell them what they will do....and like it.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 1:39AM OutThere said

I dunno. Games used to be about getting there. Now they are about being there. Nobody asks, is it fun to level? Instead they ask, what's at end game? So everyone wants to be at end game apparently, so let's get them there asap.

But, truth is, when we started out gaming some 10 or so years ago or more (ahem), it was okay to run everywhere because it was all new and interesting. Now, we've done that, been there a dozen times. Running through great landscapes looking at cool stuff just doesn't float our boats any more.

It is a balancing act, as others have said. Make it too easy, boring. Make it too hard, frustrating. Must be very hard for developers to script a mob fight just right for a half dozen classes. I like fights that help me understand the mechanics of my class better and nudge me to use skills I haven't tried yet. I remember some areas in Vanilla WoW that were always a challenge and really had me sweating to get my quest item/mobs and get out, if I could, alive. Few games manage that any more.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 4:02PM Terical said

Unless developers want to create segregated servers with in their mmos to cater that want an easy/enjoyable time without too much attached to get there, and another for those that want the hard core challenge and feel accomplished then there is no real way of fixing coddling.

Start off an mmo "too easy" i.e. giving things (access to transportation, gear or to a new town, being able interacting with NPCs that may serve a purpose) with in 5 level intervals there are going to be happy and angry people. Try the same thing, but with intervals of every 15+ same reaction.

The key thing here is that they are looking for ways to keep money coming in to pay for things nothing against that, the moment they see the numbers drop they will go to the general census and the answer is heavily biased on both ends. So developers will try the ones with the one the best or easy way to lure in players.

Posted: Dec 28th 2011 10:41PM (Unverified) said

I am just burned out in MMO's in general it seems. Early coddling or not. Can't bring myself to log in for more than 10 minutes in Rift or Wow. Even after taking a 5 month hiatus. I did miss gaining more souls via going out an interacting with the world more. Not so much risk/reward, but just not fun. Perhaps I am just slowly parting away from MMO's and getting back into single player games, and RTS games.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM