Posted: Dec 7th 2011 3:38PM Space Cobra said

With the article mentioning the opening of this game, I was tempted to post if anyone played it or had experience with it. And now I get this nice answer to my question!

I hear you about the "beautiful style", but I think that's partly the Asian aesthetic of things and partly the want to create a "fantasy character that is beautiful/perfect" by what seems to be the majority of folks. This seem to apply to Asia (check out all the chat-room games, like IMVU, not an ugly stitch of clothing/feature on those character models). It's not that I don't mind having a character like that, but I'd probably make an alt, who may turn into a main, because he's more interesting to interact with the world. (Still like Taurens in WoW the most, although I don't play the game now.)

I'll try to give this game a shot, but I do have a row of console games and other online titles I am recently either trying now or returning to. And, well for me, there is also SW:TOR coming up.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 3:49PM Mikx said

"From the very beginning, players are cast in beautiful, sharp armor with sometimes overly detailed weapons. I call it the "sharp chin" style mainly because everyone has an acorn-shaped face along with massive, beautiful eyes."

I've played entirely too much guild wars, and I've never seen anything like this in the game. If you want to be ugly from the start, make a male warrior or elementalist in prophecies. The ele hair comes in a garish, flat rainbow of biologically impossible shades and I doubt anyone would say the warrior starter armor is beautiful. Monk and Mesmer armor starter armor? As utilitarian as they come. The mesmer even looks like a clerk in a dry goods store.

And what qualifies as big eyes? They seem pretty proportional to me.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 4:06PM Ehra said

@Mikx

Yeah, I wasn't sure what he was getting at with the comment about faces. Male necromancers from Nightfal have a particularly hideous face option or two. And, as you pointed out, the starter armors and some others aren't exactly fancy (and you can get max armor value versions of them if you want).

If he meant females then I can see where he's coming from. It's hard to make an ugly female in Guild Wars.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 4:23PM Beau Hindman said

@Ehra Well, remember, I mean in a general sense. There will be some details here and there that do not match up perfectly to my description. Also, a starter character changes rather fast, and if you look at the sites of the games I mentioned or check out the armor and looks for most of the characters you'll see what I mean. Basically, it's a general art style.

My favorite looking game still has no equal: The Chronicles of Spellborn. :( Sigh. lol

Beau

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 4:51PM Mikx said

@Beau Hindman Watched some chronicles of spellborn gameplay on youtube, and I have to say the armor looks *a lot* like gw2 ;)

GW2 won't currently let you make an ogrelike homer simpson or an "all pectorals, no waist" musclebound gym boy, but otherwise it looks quite similar.

2:27 in the youtube vid has to be one of my favorite character creation shots though.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 5:58PM Beau Hindman said

@Mikx Nice. On a sidenote (and speaking of one of my favorite games hehe) check out this old vid I made a few years back of Spellborn. Shows off the unique graphics all around. I loved how I could make an older, ugly character.

Thanks for the comments guys and gals!

Beau

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 4:26PM Dblade said

PvP game + F2P+no mention of the cash shop and possible effects=incomplete impressions.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 4:28PM MMOaddict said

You are far too kind to these types of games, Beau. This game should be sitting in that very large pile of been there done that F2P eastern grinder games like Conquer Online, Shaiya, Last Chaos, Silk Road Online, Archlord, and so on. They all literally feel like the exact same game with different class names, world names, etc being the only difference.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 5:50PM Budukahn said

@MMOaddict

I suppose in order to ensure Massively continues to be able to run articles like that, a certain level of kindness is necessary even when another generic eastern grinder is fostered upon us unasked. Still, I appreciate Beau's article which, to me provides enough insight between the lines to come to the conclusion that this game its totally not for me.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 4:34PM cotheer said

Oh Karos, how i don't miss you.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 6:05PM h4ngedm4n said

I am going to copy your phrase "acorn face with massive eyes" for future reference on this art style. Too true.

Sometimes, in the asian mmo art style, there is also a 0px male crotch which is disturbing.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 10:11PM fauxcivility said

I don't see how this game could be considered technically beautiful. The graphics aren't bad but the UI looks TERRIBLE. Very blurred.

My HP Envy is 1600*900 so I dialed it down to a windowed 1024 so that I could see if maybe it was just not made for big screens but... no difference. The UI is really that bad.

Also, the mouse in game has some sort of graphical error and you can see the left and bottom borders which is terribly distracting. I don't know why they bothered launching this game in the state it's currently in.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 1:38PM (Unverified) said

What engine are all these Lineage 2 clones made on? They all look 5+ years old. And lineage is free now, they should just stop trying.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 1:56PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) And I'm not just joking. Most of the games ported from the asian market all look rather old, and they usually just abuse bloom effects to try and hide the game/engine's age.

And they all really do share some core ideas that L2 brought to the scene a few years back. To me, L2 always seemed like the WoW of the eastern MMO market. It came out around the same era as original WoW, was a huge success in its area and spawned many other knock off games trying to get a taste of the success.

I would suggest most MMO players to play WoW before playing a WoW clone. I see that this applies here too.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 5:33PM Yarr said

Not to be a commercial for Aion, but its character creator is one of the most versatile around (too much so, in some cases) and you can create truly ugly characters with it. I'm not talking about the bizarre ones, but using all the advanced slider options you can create anything from a battle scarred brute of a character to an angelic beauty. There are several threads on the various Aion forums full of character pictures of all types, from living doll style (creepy except for the really well done ones... which are still a bit creepy, heh) to, well, unique characters that clearly surpass anything I've seen in any other MMO by a long shot, even a well done 'granny' character, with granny hair, glasses and plain long dress. One of my favorites on that server, in fact.

Perhaps Beau is talking more about armor style and he prefers the more cartoonish, low res WoW style? There are plenty of ugly armor sets in both GW and Aion; which you can also mismatch into a typical WoW blend of ugly, even mixing your own horrid color scheme in GW.

Low detail, limited character creation options, generic bland cartoony graphics are one of the main problems with most of the games Beau looks at. Generic often sums them up, to the point it is hard to tell one from another. I'm not against cartoon style MMOs. Free Realms is very cartoon (no ugly chars in FR, sorry Beau) and it fits the game perfectly, mainly due to exceptional art design in almost every aspect of the game. Wildfire looks like another possible good one, at least graphically. But trying to pigeon hole a game like Aion into being limited to only perfect high fantasy style beautiful chars and armor just shows you probably have never taken a real look at the game or even bothered to at least check through the forums to see what players have done with its vast options. Of course their websites use ultra beautiful characters with some of the most elaborate armor sets, mainly because, unlike the cartoon MMOs, they can. But if you want ugly you can have that too.