Posted: Dec 7th 2011 4:30PM SnarlingWolf said

That is one of the things I hated about Rift.

During one of the early events they had a daily where you ran around town killing a few spawned bad guys and returning for your daily reward.

Problem was there was literally only 1-2 spawns up at a time and always at least a dozen people trying to do the quest at any given time so everyone just screwed everyone else over by not grouping up and racing to the different spawn spots to try and tag the creature first.

Really shows how the MMO community has gone down hill since back in the day people would have instantly either waited their turn or grouped up to share in the kill to get credit.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 5:02PM hereafter said

@SnarlingWolf

It's a shame that we have to rely on devs to fix this with dynamic grouping features or whatever when it's so simple to just invite a person next to you and keep doing what you're doing. I guess people just are't sure about the etiquette anymore. Maybe there's an element of social anxiety to it as well? It's odd that players would rather wait longer to do it solo than just group > "Hi." > "Done" > "me too" > "thanks" > "bye"

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 4:32PM Celtar said

And that is part of what I didn't like about Rift and why I stopped playing within three months. Risk/reward concepts weren't there in my opinion. I like Trion and the staff in particular, the game just wasn't for me.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 4:46PM weregamer said

Another area where, so far, RIFT has kept things "casual" is the warfronts. Because the additon of PvP stats absolutely destroyed casual PvP in WoW, I was really scared when Trion added them to RIFT.

So far, at least, Trion has not had to resort to the exponential gear explosion that Blizzard uses to drive sales of paid expansions, and PvP stats on gear are staying low enough that a casual player in good PvE gear is still able to fight effectively. PvP gear does make a difference, but most warfront battles are decided by which side is more organized and cooperative first, by who has the best role balance next, and by who has the better gear only if all else is equal.

Now if only I could stop getting dumped in WFs with juvenile e-peen wavers who don't understand this. I had my worst experience ever in a WF this past weekend. In the Codex, where I found myself with an entire raid of e-peen waving children. One even started /yelling how it was unmanly of the Guardians to "gank 11 on 1".

Of course, even on that horrible "team", I just did what I could, accepted that I'd be dying a lot, and allowed the children to send me a flow of favor and prestige while I waited for their rapid failure and the favor bonus for losing.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 5:37PM jimr9999us said

This is great and all but coverage of 1.6.1 which landed today might be more appropriate :)

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 11:48AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
What exactly is fun about a daily quest to pick up mistletoe off the ground? I can only assume people do it, because the rest of the game is too boring to go out and actually do something meaningful.

Posted: Dec 10th 2011 2:00AM Squidsnthings said

I bought the game after not playing since closed beta, as I really enjoyed a lot of what rift had to offer. As soon as I open up to patcher I get error after error and the forums/support seems to offer no solution. Apparently it isn't an isolated issue either as I see tons of posts on the forums that all get shut down.

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 2:46PM psycros said

Rift was as casual as casual gets from day one. Its the epitome of theme park, and the rift invasions are the epitome of this. Leveling is, if anything, even easier than it was in WoW. Nobody parties except for the handful of dungeons, 90% of the quests are kill ten rats, etc. Even the much-ballyhooed soul system was a joke as half the classes lack any useful abilities.. I didn't even make it to the second month in that snoozer.

Betawatch: August 23 - 29, 2014