Posted: Dec 7th 2011 2:20PM Plastic said

Alright Jeremy, I've heard this game was special (it certainly has a large following), but I couldn't bring myself past level 10 before uninstalling out of frustration/boredom. So, since I generally share your taste in games, I'm counting on you to push yourself at least past level 20 and tell us if it's worth the grind. Don't let us down!

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 12:06AM LancelotNZL said

@Plastic - Grind there is no grind in this game anymore you can get to almost level 6 by killing a handfull of quest mobs

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 2:37PM SergeGaltier said

Eh with the new revamp you hit level 40 in maybe 2-3 hours played. Grind doesn't really start anymore until higher levels.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 11:32PM jeremys said

@SergeGaltier I'm really slow - hence my statement in the article.

I'm sure the average player, or maybe even the majority of players, will find leveling to 40 rather quick.

I toyed around in game, to get my feet wet a bit, and it took me 6 hours to reach level 25.

Yes. I am very slow, and no it's not because I just stand around doing nothing for hours. That's playing the game and going straight to leveling and questing, non-stop. I am just slow.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 2:42PM syberghost said

It's a little early for "Lightning Strikes" bump numbers, if any, to figure into DCUO, since it came out yesterday.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 2:46PM Yarr said

I've got the game installed but haven't given it a try yet. Great time to start and see how my experience compares with yours.

I believe many of the armor sets and weapons in Aion are based on ones from Lineage II, so it will be interesting to compare them in-game.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 2:49PM bobfish said

You can't roll a Dark Elf in L2 and be male, that is just missing out on so much :)

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 5:12PM Resurge said

@bobfish i was about to say the same thing ...male dark elf is just silly. If you're gonna go DE, then you certainly don't want to miss out on all the digital cleavage the womenfolk have on offer. If you go male, then be a dwarf or something.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 2:56PM (Unverified) said

I am also very interested in this since FTP. Looking forward to the reporting.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 3:49PM Hexedian said

It seems the Kamael class upgrade choice isn't a choice at all, since it'll be dictated by gender.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 4:08PM Caedrik said

What server are you going to be rolling on?

I just recently started playing on Magmeld, if anyone would like to join me. I'm hoping this will be the closest thing to Shadowbane. Playing a Dwarf Artisan.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 7:52PM jeremys said

@Caedrik I'm thinking of rolling on Chronos.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 11:04PM Caedrik said

@jeremys Why not one of the new servers? Even though they are ridiculously crowded right now.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 11:11PM jeremys said

@Caedrik A really great question. Now, I'm wishing I included that as a poll.

Rolling on a new server may be a good idea, because a lot of old and new players will, no doubt, be doing that. It's a chance to have more low- to mid-level players around, to(I think).

Chronos was at the top of the list. And it said "high" the last couple times I logged in, but I'll take a peak and see about rolling on the new ones.

A couple people mentioned Magmeld, in the comments. How does anyone feel about that?

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 4:24PM MMOaddict said

• Half a heart
will be interesting to see how far you get and what your overall experience is. After 3 days of trying different things, messing with the horrid controls and UI and finally getting into the swing of the game, I promptly uninstalled last night after accidentally clicking on another player, attacking them and then having them 1 shot me and sending me from the Ruins all the way back to the starting area village. That was the last straw for me. the game is anti social in almost every way imaginable, I didn't have one meaningful conversation or even SEE one meaningful conversation in chat and 90% of the players I came across didn't group and would kill steal left and right.

tldr - this game sucks, the potential is there but completely wasted IMO.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 7:21PM Faction 3 said

@MMOaddict

I played it for a few hours and had pretty much the same experience.

The controls are especially awful. WASD movement is just so odd and broken, that its impossible to even use it.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 7:56PM jeremys said

@MMOaddict My experience with any new MMO(or new relaunch) is usually pretty anti-social. Think about it - no matter what MMO it is, usually the first wave of players are all clambering to get stuff done. It's the same experience I get with each new expansion, in Runes of Magic - ppl don't talk much, or answer questions or socialize.

I try not to hold any bad judgement against players or the game. "Hate the game, not the player", or in this case "Don't hate the game or the player"(?)

As for getting warped long distances, I've been finding many old(and new) fast travel points - they evidently added into this expansion.

It looks like it as a learning curve, but I'm up for the challenge.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 10:53PM Utakata said

@jeremys

The game is really old to my understanding...I don't thinks it's gonna come with a RIFT like interface either, since this game pre-dates WoW by several 100 years. So the learning curve too...would be how to adapt to a more limited and restrictive UI.

Posted: Dec 8th 2011 12:15AM jeremys said

@Utakata So far my UI experience has been pretty good. It seems to operate like most any MMO interface. And looks it to. I'm guessing they've been updating the game throught the years and improving mechanics.

You'll get a chance to see, when I start livestreaming it. :)

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 5:00PM Seffrid said

"I've never once been level-capped in any MMO I've ever played."

Good for you! I've been a serious MMO player since '98 and have only hit the level cap once, and that was in GW after an exceedingly long time. I've put in years on EQ, EQ2, WoW, LoTRo and too many others to mention, and had loads of characters often across multiple accounts.

I put in the hours, but I just enjoy the journey through these games with no particular desire to arrive at the destination. It seems to me that's when people start to get frustrated with a game, so why hurry to get there?

And yes, Lineage 2 was one of my previous games, but it got horribly tedious. Is it still point-and-click movement (which I now refuse to use in 2011) and enforced PvP? I did quite a bit of PvP before and never lost a fight, but it just isn't my thing. Are there any consensual PvP servers these days?

I hope you enjoy it anyway, Jeremy, personally I'm putting in time on EQ2 with the merger of my two sets of characters and with Fallen Earth and LoTRO to keep me busy as well - no chance of hitting any level caps just yet!

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014