Posted: Dec 6th 2011 6:13PM EndDream said

• 1 heart
Indie companies cant make MMOs. The most annoying thing about them trying is people point to games like Dawntide and say, "See sandbox games fail". It's indie MMOs that fail not sandbox MMOs.

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 7:43PM Skyydragonn said

@EndDream
I'de like to point out the (two) big pink elephants trampling all over your argument.
1) CCP was/(is?) an Indie developer. EVE is doing fine kthx.
2)Perpetuum also an Indie developers; also doing fine.
P.S. they're BOTH sandbox games too.

Just in case you hadn't noticed those....

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 8:56PM jimr9999us said

@Skyydragonn

Sorry man, I'll ALWAYS pull for the underdog but the sad reality is EndDream is 100% right.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 9:02AM Dblade said

@Skyydragonn i don't know about perpetuum doing fine, their forums gripe about the lack of people, and it always was a refuge for EVE escapees rather than a decent game in its own right.

EVE...take away the ability to pay for subs with ISK, and take away all the trade, spy, and logi alts, and I think you'll find the population is a lot less than the concurrent figures indicate. EVE also is a game where people don't cancel subs when they stop playing, just keep training skills instead.

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 7:41PM (Unverified) said

Just downloaded it and tried it for the first time since its going away for a bit. First impression when I logged in was, there is nothing here that grabs my attention. The first NPC that I see, I click and text says, They do not want to talk to you. Next NPC which is a guard, basically says, you better behave yourself, we are watching you. I ran around a bit, but could not find anyone to talk to. Thought I do around and cut some trees down, but none of the trees are of the right age. Says I have to wait about 13 hours before the tree is of average age. After that I logged off. There has to be some sort of tutorial or some guidance when you first log into a game to get you into the story. I'm sure there are some that enjoy the game, but for me was not worth the 3.08gb download. Perhaps I will try it again after they come back.

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 7:59PM h4ngedm4n said

@(Unverified)

That is kind of stupid to be restricted from cutting down a tree because it is not the right age. Especially in something that is supposed to be a sandbox.

While not MMOs, in Minecraft and Terraria you are allowed to cut down little trees for reduced wood yield, or wait longer and cut down a more mature tree for more yield. Maybe they plan to make the same change?

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 8:54PM jimr9999us said

The game looks like WoW on a TRS80. Sometimes you gotta know when to give up and go work for Cisco.

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 10:23PM theinternetman said

Very glad WAI has decided to wait until the game is in a playable state to release it. The beta seemed to be more detrimental than beneficial to the progression of Dawntide. Sandbox MMOs are far and few between and Dawntide has a unique flavor but has its roots in a more modern update of Ultima Online. Dawntide is truly a game about building entire unique towns, cities, empires, and civilizations in real time a la Wurm or Haven and Hearth. If WAI can polish core concepts and worry about adding features later, we can finally have a great middle ages fantasy sandbox MMO.

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 10:27PM theinternetman said

@theinternetman

Just to clarify Dawntide is one of the few open world, building based, open ended, low fantasy sandbox MMOs in existence. The position and placement of every building and object is completely customizable. Players may build anywhere in the world, from the highest mountain to the deepest valley. There are no instances and entire swaths of players may inhabit or fight over one cell. Dawntide feels less like a themepark or objective based video game and more a true virtual world one may inhabit and explore. Think Wurm with the movement and combat of Everquest, without terraforming capability.

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 10:37PM Unshra said

I am so temped to grab my shades and say:
Well it seems it wasn't
*puts on shades*
Working as Intended...

In all seriousness I hope this all goes smoothly and Dawntide does not fade into the dark like so many indie projects in the past. It is always nice to see indie developers come in and try to do something different, so best wishes to the team and I look forward to seeing the changes that will be made.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 6:00AM Vazzaroth said

I really hope Dawntide does well and this is for the best. The skeleton of the game that's there is something I've wanted for quite some time (Wurm, with actual production value), but getting ~10 FPS on my system that blows away Skyrim was never acceptable. Of course, it was a beta, so I hope they make it a real game soon.

Remember when they were going to launch Oct 1st? -_-

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 7:37PM Xilmar said

Yeah, good news.

The game didn't seem to have a real future the way it was going. While the few months i've played had been decent enough, with fun people to talk to and a huge world to explore and mess around with.

Thinking back, it was fun to grab a bunch of top line tools gear, and spend the next few days exploring some part of a distant island, and just do whatever. I've built some many things all over that world and killed so many mobs in every way possible, it's kinda weird.

But that was the best time for me. Expeditions in the middle of nowhere, with just a backpack, basic map of the terrain and no idea what i'll find are cool, but back in town it was just as bad as always.

Dawntide has great concepts and it's one of a few games that have a nice balance of ingredients to create a good atmosphere. Personally, it was similar to Wurm from this aspect, but better.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM