Posted: Dec 6th 2011 6:34PM ShivanSwordsman said

I gave up on this game after finding Incarnate Trials and the crafting system were Sub only. Basically, an overglorified trial. Still, it's nice to see they're still updating it. I also notice they completely ripped Cloud's Buster Sword (if you don't mind the few holes they poked out of the backside so they wouldn't get sued). Not to say the Titan Weapons don't look pretty nice, but... well... DCUO had this already... and it's free over there...

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 6:45PM (Unverified) said

@ShivanSwordsman

How is CoH/CoV an 'overglorified' trial? The fact that you cannot use crafted enhancements has NO significant impact on your ability to level to 50 or run any of the traditional trials and task forces, or general PvE content. When they added crafting into the game, that made sure that players would never be required to do it. Essentially, you get almost all off the traditional game for free, minus some powersets or archetypes that can be server intenstive (Controllers and Masterminds, I believe, plus the epic ATs of Khelds and Arachnos, which are understandably limited). At the same time, Incarnate Trials are not mandatory content, and while anecdote is not data, most folks that I play with, even VIPs, don't bother with them.

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 6:49PM Warsyde said

@ShivanSwordsman,
Although I prefer City of Heroes to DC Universe online, you're absolutely right about the F2P model of CoH being little more than a glorified trial. DCUO did the free thing better, so good on them for that. Making content subscriber only (with no cash shop option) is a big mistake. I have no problem with them charging for the content, but it needs to be available as a purchased unlock rather than demanding a never-ending influx of money to retain access.

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 6:52PM Brianna Royce said

@ShivanSwordsman Crafting isn't VIP only. If you're not VIP, you can gain access to crafting by earning a certain tier in the rewards system, and you can get it for a monthly license fee of $2. Or you can just use regular enhancements, since that's all you need to get by in the pre-Incarnate game anyway.

You're not wrong about the Incarnate system being VIP-only, though.

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 9:07PM Ehra said

@(Unverified)

"How is CoH/CoV an 'overglorified' trial?"

Because people have convinced themselves that their time spent playing video games is more productive or better validated if they "beat" the game. There's this baffling belief from a not insignificant amount of people that feel that your time spent playing a game is "wasted" if you don't see, do, or earn everything.

Due to the fact that Incarnates are accessed at max level and provide a source of character growth past/beyond hitting level 50, there's the belief that the incarnate system is the "end of the game," that completing it lets you "beat the game," which means that the incarnate system is more important than everything else

Heck, how many Incarnate trials are there? Not even 10 I'm pretty sure. Then compare that to all of the other content that exists in the game that players can experience for free. The free version of City of Heroes is CLEARLY not a "glorified trial." Anyone who claims otherwise is judging the game to such an irrational extent that there's likely not going to be much hope in having a discussion about it.

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 9:16PM Sam not Spam said

@Warsyde
I sorta have to disagree. There's no required reason to use the COH shop or go VIP, whereas DCUO hits you economically with the cash limits/cash escrow ($1,500 free, $2,000 premium). That, and all the non-VIP content in COH still outstrips what DCUO has to offer. The non-free systems (Inventions, morality system, etc) only deepen the game, but are not required.

Both are great games, though, and I'm enjoying both ^_^

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 9:18PM Sam not Spam said

@Ehra
Keep in mind that the end-game is considered a normal part of MMOs, and honestly some even go so far to say the end game is where the game really begins. Now, we know that's not the case with COH, but that'll still be the expectation of people coming from other games, true or false.

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 9:54PM JuliusSeizure said

@Sam not Spam

So true. The game didn't even have this 'end game' until about a year ago. It's gotten on just fine without it. It's really nothing more than something extra for the dedicated, long term players, the sort who don't mind subbing anyway.

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 9:56PM JuliusSeizure said

@ShivanSwordsman

They made a fairly generically humongous sword. The fact that it resembles the Buster Sword is simply because the Buster is the absolute most basic distillation of what a humongous sword should be like.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 9:25PM (Unverified) said

@JuliusSeizure
Not really. Broadswords, katanas, and scimitars are probably the most identifiable "that's a sword" designs. A long, flat blade wider than both a person's arms, with a single edge and the triangular shape at the end; that is quite obviously intended as a knock-off of the Buster Sword. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 6:54PM starka1 said

Meh, still enjoying my Premium access. With my length of subscription prior to CoH:Freedom, I have enough unlocked permanently to enjoy the game. I just couldn't get into the Incarnate stuff. I love being more powerful but it looks like a mess and doesn't appear to be a whole enough experience to warrant a subscription at this point.

Just wish I could get a base license and my gameplay would be complete.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 9:07AM Dblade said

Titan weapons powerset. I guess some people like cryptic's heavy weapons power set, which also let you swing a huge two handed weapon around with aplomb.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 7:04AM blackcat7k said

The problem with this content is that I can't experience it with just anyone I would like to.

It seems backwards to make content in a game where a lot of the fun stems from getting a full eight man team together and going nuts attacking waves of enemies.

This VIP content seems to be working at cross purposes:

I'm paying to... limit the amount of people I have access to do content in the game. That doesn't seem like a plus for me signing up for VIP.