Posted: Dec 5th 2011 2:04PM edgecrusherO0 said

• Half a heart
12 hours of gametime over the holiday weekend? I tried it and spent well over that and I'm not even going to get it. While I can understand some of the previous beta testers not wanting to re-do all the early levels again, driving down their playtime, but that seems a bit low for me. I'm not heralding the doom of the game or anything, but 12 hours over a 3 day holiday weekend seems a bit low to me. Maybe I'm just too nerdy and don't have enough of a social life : /

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 2:18PM Yellowdancer said

@edgecrusherO0

Dude, that's 4 hours a day. That's a lot of playtime for one game 3 days in a row. Takes me 2 weeks to get 12 hours in most MMO's.

Also, Skyrim is still heavily played on PC so I'm sure a lot of people played that. Weekends are also raid time in other gamesso there is that too.

I did notice when SWTOR beta test started, DCUO testing numbers on steam dropped by 2K and when the test ended, they went up 2K. Made me chuckle.

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 2:20PM (Unverified) said

@edgecrusherO0

I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. I only got about 3 hours of playtime over the break because of family functions and hanging out with home town friends that I only get to see a couple times a year. That defintely doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the game, though. I'll definitely be picking it up on the 20th, if I don't pre-order before then. However, I'll probably only spend a few hours playing the first week again because of the holidays.

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 2:23PM aurickle said

@edgecrusherO0
12 hours over a 3 day weekend averages 4 hours per day. That is a significantly higher amount of play than is typical of casual gamers. So even though this stat may seem a bit low on the surface it actually means really good things for the game.

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 2:23PM Clemalum07 said

@edgecrusherO0 I only played for about 5 hours. I messed around with a Marauder because I plan on rolling a Jedi Sentinel on the 15th. I had played a good bit in a previous Beta weekend.

I was also out of town for most of the Holiday weekend.

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 2:27PM Spacegrass said

@edgecrusherO0
I had family in town and a mountain of stuff to do for school, so I didn't get to play nearly as much as I'd have liked. Keep in mind that this is near the end of the semester, so students have a lot to do. Also, a lot of people, particularly in the service industry, have jobs that require them to work on weekends.

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 2:32PM jmerriex said

@edgecrusherO0 Thanksgiving is a 4 day holiday making it only 3 hours a day. However, I (and I'm assuming most other people) were busy with family stuff on Thursday and Friday and had little time to play. I played a lot on Saturday (maybe 8 hours) but again on Sunday had family business.

I think that would account for the low play time. I am definitely getting this game. It may not have any end game content but I really enjoyed KoTOR and this is basically KoTOR online and I am not adverse to paying $70 to play KoTOR Online for a few months. After that, I'm not sure EA/Bioware can keep up with the quality and content. But we'll see. It is at least worth the first month or two for the storyline.

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 2:38PM freebase said

@edgecrusherO0

Half a day over the course of 3 days seems low to you? 0.o

Most people still sleep, shower, brush their teeth, and have lives in general.

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 2:54PM hereafter said

@edgecrusherO0

12 hours is the average. This means some played much less and some played much more.

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 2:57PM aurickle said

@jmerriex
It was a four day holiday, but the beta only ran Friday through Sunday. It was not available on Thanksgiving day.

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 3:14PM Thasri said

@edgecrusherO0
12 hours is about what I played per day. :P O and I have a life thank you very much. I'll be playing the game on the 15th.

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 3:29PM KDolo said

@jmerriex

The testing started on friday for most people, for some on saturday. I dont know if it started on thursday for anybody.

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 4:09PM EdmundDante said

@hereafter Actually that would be mean. Average - you could have just a few who played without sleeping and the rest just for 10 minutes. ;)

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 4:35PM hereafter said

@EdmundDante

At the risk of being pedantic: the mean is one way of expressing an average, as are median and mode, but I wasn't incorrect to use the less-specific term average. I'm not writing a math paper, so it didn't seem necessary to specify.

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 4:46PM Lenn said

@edgecrusherO0 Testers were from all over the globe. Not just the US with their 4-day holiday. Thanks for acknowledging us. My weekend was the regular two days long. Testing didn't open until late afternoon Friday. I spent a good few hours playing that night, Saturday morning and Sunday all day. I upped the average somewhat.

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 7:47PM Buckwald said

@edgecrusherO0

Get back to MMO-Champion and help me moderate! Damn! :)

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 7:51PM edgecrusherO0 said

@Buckwald

NO! I'm too busy...not working !_!

Posted: Dec 6th 2011 4:03AM ShivanSwordsman said

@edgecrusherO0

I put in enough time to get all 4 classes on the light side to 3 or 4, and my Golden Child, the Jedi Knight, ended up going Sentinel at 10. Then I hit PvP, and forgot PvE ever existed. There's something mind numbingly fun about pouncing someone with the hutball, slowing them, and you and your team mates picking them apart like a pack of vultures.

Frankly, I'd have bought the game... if I didn't have to pay a sub to get into PvP. Box price for PvP that's that fun? Yes please. I liked my companion and all, but if they created a system where your PvE and PvP levels were separate, and you need either 50 PvE or 50 PvP level to equip your gear, and open it and the starting worlds up to whoever bought the box game? I'd be a Day 1 buyer. It was a lot more fun than I thought it'd be.

... Just not enough for me to break my "no sub fees EEEEEEVAAAAAAAAR" code. I'm still heartbroken over Tabula Rasa.

Posted: Dec 7th 2011 1:00PM Skraps said

@edgecrusherO0

I look at it more like people managed to dedicate 12 hours to a game during a holiday weekend. I don't know about others here but I put in pretty close to that 12 hour mark and I had to fit that in with all day visit to moms for dinner on Thanksgiving. A all day trip to cut down the family Christmas tree Friday. A bar crawl with friends back in town to visit Saturday, hangovers and Football Sunday.

Posted: Dec 9th 2011 7:12PM DancingCow said

@edgecrusherO0

I spent well over 12 hours playing in the beta weekend test I got into, and I ended up deciding not to buy it. Great story but beyond that it's pretty much the same as other MMOs - a style I've grown bored with.

Will be interesting to see how that 2 million beta testers translates into box sales and ongoing subs. LOTRO had 1 million beta testers and their ongoing subs were somewhere around the 200k mark. Hopefully SWTOR can do better.