Posted: Dec 3rd 2011 2:18PM Seffrid said

Karen, you might want to clarify the apparent confusion between the opening and closing paragraphs over the timing of the free-to-play conversion, first you say it's on Tuesday then you say it's coming soon.

That contradiction aside, a nice write-up and the game is definitely worth a look for those who haven't yet tried it, based on a minimum recommended level of silver membership, and it's also worth a return for a month on gold if you haven't been back for a while.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2011 3:45PM Naihonn said

You will have limitations on pretty much everything you can think of, including inventory, quest journal, bank space, broker access, and even the type of gear and SPELLS you're allowed to use.

Really? So this is their version of free? So free characters have limited spells? Good joke. Ok, Beastlord is so good for me, that I will try it anyway, but if I see that his best skills are for paying players only,...

Posted: Dec 3rd 2011 4:40PM (Unverified) said

@Naihonn Not the type of Spells. In EQ2 there is like Apprentice, Novice, Expert and Master. (I think I named those right, I haven't played EQ2 in about a year and a half.. for GOOD reason)

Free I think doesn't let you train them to Master.

But regardless of this, the rest of the game is terribly broken anyways, just clarifying. =P

Posted: Dec 3rd 2011 6:58PM smartstep said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)

Yeah I would avoid it. For business model AND gameplay reasons.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2011 7:51PM scfs123 said

@Naihonn Pretty

So like you get your level one ability at level one lets say, with a paid account you can head to the Auction buy a "Grandmaster Book!" and make your ability quite a bit stronger then it would be compared to other level ones, then at level 10 you upgrade your spell to rank 2, and then you need to go buy another book to make it super awesome again xD

You can do perfectly fine in the game without these books, they are nice and boost your abilities (Quite)a bit, but its nothing that decides if you can level or not.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2011 7:56PM (Unverified) said

@Naihonn : if your not satisfied with what they give away for free, you do have a couple of alternatives.

a) spend money
b) don't play it

I would recommend either of those courses of action over:

c) whine about it on massively like a little baby

Posted: Dec 4th 2011 12:49AM Naru now in 3D said

@smartstep Havent played EQ2 in years... what's wrong with the gameplay now? Just curious...

Posted: Dec 4th 2011 1:28AM aurickle said

Naihonn's description sums it up perfectly. While you are leveling, very, very few people ever have Master anything. Heck, most people don't have more than one or two at Adept level. The Master books are incredibly rare, which in turn makes training them prohibitively expensive -- especially if you'll be learning a new version of the spell in a few levels anyway.

Once you reach max level, things become more cost effective due to the fact that you won't be replacing the skill with a higher level version. But let's face it; if you reach max level you're not likely to be a free player anymore.

Posted: Dec 4th 2011 1:30AM aurickle said

@aurickle
Sorry. I meant "Unverified's description" rather than Naihonn's. WTB Edit Button!

Posted: Dec 4th 2011 4:49AM Naihonn said

@(Unverified) Ok. Short answer, that there are better choices for F2P MMO with ocassional payment. Good to know. My mistake. I had too high expectations. :0P

Posted: Dec 5th 2011 2:50PM shmegger said

@Naru now in 3D

The early game (pre-90) is a bit too easy now, but you can get around this by going after heroics and mobs higher level than you.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2011 4:34PM pcgneurotic said

Here's a question. Long story short, I'm going to buy AoD through the marketplace in-game, the same way I bought Velious. So, does anyone know if it will be in there from Day One, or is there a gap between expansions being released and then going on sale in-game?

Posted: Dec 3rd 2011 5:53PM Seffrid said

@pcgneurotic

AoD will not initially be available in the Marketplace.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2011 5:52PM Seffrid said

It's a bit of a nonsense to say the game is terribly broken. It isn't, and I wouldn't listen to someone who hasn't played it for a year and a half (not that it was terribly broken then).

It is indeed only the level of the spell that is restricted, but that won't affect you until at least midway through the game if not later. There are 90 levels currently and the general consensus seems to be that for a single recommended payment of $10 (now being reduced to $5) to upgrade to silver you can pretty reasonably level to about 60 before having to worry about subscribing.

As for the beastlord class, Naihonn won't get that without laying down $40 for the expansion, but then if the game is so terribly broken in his eyes why would he even want to?

Posted: Dec 4th 2011 4:58AM Naihonn said

@Seffrid Beastlord = 40$ away? Thank you very much. Now I see I was wasting my time. It is really, really, so "free". :0D Well, back to real and really good F2P games.

Posted: Dec 4th 2011 6:33AM pcgneurotic said

Ok, thanks. Gives me some more time to accrue the SC for it anyway. :D

Posted: Dec 3rd 2011 5:54PM Bhagpuss said

For the princely sum of $5.00 to go Silver you'll have everything you need to enjoy months, maybe years of play.

Yes, there are limitations on bag size, but inventory space in EQ2 is HUGE compared to many other MMOs. At Silver you have four bag slots in Inventory, three in the bank (per character), two in the shared bank (per account) and six in your house vault.

Player-made 40-slot boxes are in constant supply on the broker for around 20g each (on Freeport). That's 600 storage slots. And if that's not enough, make several alts on free Bronze accounts, start a guild with your Silver character and those alts and you also get a guild bank that all can use, giving you another 120 shared slots. That also gets over most of the issues with the plat cap as you can store an unlimited amount of coin in the guild bank.

As for the restrictions on gear and spells/combat arts, before Velious content Mastercrafted (player-made) gear and Expert (player-made) spells/CAs are more than good enough not just for solo but for full group content. Really it's only when you hit Velious that you will have to drop more cash, either on a Gold sub or unlockers out of the SC store. And if you get that far you'll almost certainly feel its money well-spent.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2011 10:57PM Daeths said

Ya, whats keeping me from playing is the massive restriction on playable races and classes. Thanks, but no thanks

Posted: Dec 3rd 2011 11:49PM Celtar said

I noted a "Platinum account" status as well for $199.99. 19 character slots instead of 7. Only difference I found. Odd. Anyone know what that is about? Seems more costly then a few other plans.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2011 11:54PM Celtar said

@Celtar err that should be 10 character slots instead of 7. Darn typo. Basically I found 3 different locations where subscription info was offered. The one I listed above, the one Karen listed in her article and one other once your signed into your account. I was checking on my old account.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014