Posted: Dec 1st 2011 6:11PM nimzy said

I miss MUDs sometimes. There was just something about living with lag back then, with the packets that would tell you if you were alive or dead mere moments away from your screen.

Oh yeah, and spamming ! to kill something. Some things never change.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 6:50PM Resurge said

wheres part 4, "mmo's change their tune" ?

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 2:01PM Thurro said

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:09PM Space Cobra said

Damn!

I just got half way through and I can see WHY Koster has a something to gripe about. I know alot, but I was still young and there are holes in my knowledge of this time, but even I am seeing some discrepancies!

Sheesh!

And Bartle is right, but many internet writers/documetarieists (SP??) tend to write and don't ask for confirmation or a quote. It is a weakness of ours. Well, taught me a lesson; Yeap, Bartle ain't dead (I LoL'ed at that) and he won't bite, this guy should've double-checked a bit more.

Sheesh...LucasArts invented the concept and naming of "Avatars"....No they didn't!

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:14PM Space Cobra said

@Space Cobra

Damn...still watching and there are even more levels of misinformation!

Sheesh! It's like watching a fantasy parody where the Nazis won World War 2 and Orville and Wilbur Wright invented a Corn Dog you could Scuba-dive with!

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:29PM Space Cobra said

@Space Cobra

Maaan....even in Part 2.... innaccuracies!

GTFO Machima!

;P

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 11:40PM (Unverified) said

@Space Cobra Actually, the avatar bit is correct. The word avatar is old, from Hindu religion. The Ultima series used it in that sense. There was also a game called AVATAR on the PLATO system, but again, not the sense we use it.

The use of the term for "characters in a virtual world" was coined by Chip Morningstar, on the LucasFilm Habitat team. Later, Neal Stephenson would use it in that way in Snow Crash and many credited him with it.

A few years ago I helped that correctly credited in the Oxford English Dictionary.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 9:55AM Space Cobra said

@(Unverified)

Yeah, I was thinking pre-online (Ultima) and I remember hearing it after Habitat (because I was not on QuantimLink), but it just sorta "popped up" for me. So, I was giving the credit to Ultima as others opted the name for their games, online and off (I remember reading a few game manuals that came with games noting your character as an "Avatar").

So, I'll take your word for it; although I feel like I am speaking to the "Lone Ranger" of (unverified). (Just have a feeling this is Bartle or someone..)

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 3:56PM pid said

@Space Cobra who did invent avatar? Stephenson's novel "Snow Crash" or even earlier I wonder!?

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 2:25AM Whispertrance said

What is that game in the screenshot? It looks familiar, but I can't place it...

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 5:51AM oGGe said

@Whispertrance Ultima Online?

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 5:55AM Wurm said

I enjoyed the videos.
You can watch part 4 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDXorHNo3eE

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 8:00AM Celtar said

Nice walk through history, thanks for posting it Jef. Sure they got some things a bit off etc as Bartle etc noted but over all it is a good over view of the history of online role-playing. :)

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 8:40AM Celtar said

Space Cobra any over view sort of write up or video is going to be rather sketchy on hard info I could wax on in paragraphs about what they missed. Also what made each game different or the same, or what was what made a game better or worse in some aspects.

They skipped Drakkar, Sierras Yseribus, Legends of Kesmai, Mechwarrior and Airwarrior, Simutronics Gemstone, Dragonrealms and others I'm not even naming. Also done at low resolution and not offering a higher setting made for a less appealing watch as well.

That said, it was a fun fluff over view of the history of the hobby. I was fun to be reminded of past times and how much the hobby has changed.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 9:28AM demonlife said

Wait! You mean Blizzard didn't invent the MMO?

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 3:57PM pid said

@demonlife don't be confused. Blizzard invented "game" and "computer" and put them together and Internet was born.