Posted: Dec 1st 2011 8:02PM godot9 said

Other situations to consider giving the boot: constant violation of guild rules such as ninja-looting during guild raids, RL drama (ex: assaulting/stalking other guild members, and "criminal" activity such as looting the guild bank, abusing officer privileges such as booting other guild members "for the fun of it."

I agree that lots of stuff can usually be handled by "polite distance", but allowing a bully to troll guildchat is a good way to have your guild split and leave you with the trolls.

-Godot

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 9:28PM Bramen said

Only boot people you don't want to be friends with anymore. Don't boot with the rational it will save the friendship. It won't. It will just leave one party feeling rejected and submissive, which is not a good way to salvage anything.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 9:53PM Graill440 said

Developers pushed the idea of guilds. Gaming went from fun, grab on the fly grouping to drama entitled farm oriented guilds comprised of 100% busybodies worrying about everyone else but themselves.

I am truly suprised developers have not provided kick mechanics for guilds to get rid of us solo and group players from their servers.

Kick the devs that created, and to this day support guilds under the hype of social networking.

Guilds are a mishmash of primarily, not all, self entitled individuals that cannot watch their own lane, feel anything a guild does or accomplishes, a group or individual should not attain** (do not be stupid when you think about accomplishments because i already see the knee jerking from entitled guild folks that type before thinking)**.

I never refer to guilds as guilds, just clusters of busybodies polluting my game and ruining my calm.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 9:56PM Graill440 said

@Graill440

And the article was a decent read btw. Grin.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 7:04PM TheClaw said

@Graill440 : millions of people seem to manage to interact successfully in guilds. If you have so much difficulty, perhaps the issue lies with you, not the concept of guilds.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 10:39PM (Unverified) said

Inactivity and disruptive guild behavior.

my response to this question can be longer than this article but I am not going to go there :P

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 11:22PM madeleen said

After one disastrous experience after the next, I no longer join any guilds. The only ones I join are the ones I create myself for vanity purposes.

That is what it comes down to...all guilds are vanity projects. You are lucky if you get into one where you know the creator. If you don't, consider yourself had.

As another reader here stated, guilds are toxic messes that enforce the worst in people. They encourage backstabbing extravaganzas for silly game rewards. It has become obvious that the join all open groups with no strings attached are preferred by many. I saw the mechanic in WAR and RIFT and there was never a problem.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 1:36AM (Unverified) said

once a month i logged in to rift and once every two months in lotro. I still have the guild tags on my head. so yeah.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 5:53AM FrostPaw said

I once booted a player from the guild I was an officer in because day after day they kept talking about suicide like it was a funny topic. We all went through the "oh god is he really feeling like that?" stage the first week or so and then after several weeks of it I eventually just kicked him out, when his brother logged in (same guild) I apologised and told him why. He left, he said he felt he had to and he was a decent guy but I don't regret getting rid of the suicide guy.

Keeping a negative or nasty person in the guild just because they are friends/relatives with someone who you like isn't, in my opinion, a worthy drain on the rest of the guilds attitude. Sure you might miss that person if they leave as a result, but the guild will be stronger as a unit as long as you keep recruiting good people.

If you keep all your drama queens and negative/nasty people pretty soon they will drive away everyone else and your guild will be left with just those people.Bite the bullet early and be hard. If you are afraid to kick people who don't contribute socialy or physicaly to your guild acivity then who really is in charge?

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 7:57AM Dunraven said

Developers are finding out that building your MMO around guilds is a stupid idea when people are together because they each want X loot it always ends in failure the only guilds that last are the ones where folks truly like and respect each other and that comes along once in a blue moon.

If a guild has booted more than two people in the past year it's probably a failed guild.

More and more MMO players hate loathed and detest guilds and developers are being forced to adjust which means much smaller group content and grouping that is anything but forced.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 8:26AM Chiren said

No, we didn't kick, but we debated amidst a lot of laughter. And yes, was way back in the golden years of TBC.