Posted: Dec 1st 2011 5:17PM Ghostspeaker said

Awesome! One of the things Bioware did absolutely right with SWTOR was the music. It's unique and definitely has the common Star Wars motifs here and there, but it's still its own.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 5:19PM Lucidus said

• 1 heart
Hope they release the "inspired by" Lapti Nek track, that one's kinda cute.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 5:21PM RiVenoX said

STOP REMINDING ME THAT I'M NOT PLAYING TOR!
seriously... D:

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 5:40PM freebase said

• Half a heart
Turning the music off is one of the first things I do in game.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 6:00PM J45neoboy said

@freebase And you won't be doing it in this game, right? XD

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 6:00PM hereafter said

@freebase

That's too bad. You can miss out on good stuff that way.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 6:10PM freebase said

@J45neoboy

Ya, I already did. But I gave it a shot and let it play for like 2 minutes. lol

I'd just rather listen to the ambient noise than the music. : /

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 6:13PM J45neoboy said

@freebase

Either way, the sound track for the game is great none the less, but i do see where you're coming from. There are at times where I like to listen to the ambient and get upset when music gets involved....I'm looking at you Skyrim.....

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 1:07AM Lenn said

@freebase Turning up the music volume is one of the first things I do in game.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 6:01PM VikingGamer said

can't... wait... need... fix... 14... days...

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 6:11PM J45neoboy said

TOR is one of the most addicting MMOs I've played in awhile. It will be successful, and will no doubt have great sub numbers, as long as BioWare has an aggressive post-launch content schedule, I don't see this game going away.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:10PM aurickle said

I got my invitation earlier today. Now I have to resist Force persuasion and not play! I've seen enough to know I'm looking forward to pre-launch. I don't want to see anything else!

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:27PM Oskiee said

Honestly... this is the 2nd game ever that i dont turn off the music... (the first being WoW).. Now if they could launch the game so i can finally level my jedi!!

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:57PM Graill440 said

I listen through the music soundtrack one time, then turn the music off, ambiance and the things happening around an avatar are far more important to gameplay and enjoyment on my part than listening to someone elses music choice, even if it is for the game atmosphere.

I have already begun setting up a personal preference mp3 collection for my enjoyment.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 9:16AM RogueJedi86 said

@Graill440

Because nothing says ambiance like music that isn't part of the game, made by god knows what mix of rock and hip hop and pop or whatever you listen to right? That's what makes me feel immersed in the Star Wars universe, listening to Led Zeppelin. That's still someone else's music, it's just someone else's who wasn't involved in trying to make music that fit the game.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 2:24AM Amusednow said

• Half a heart
Wait they wasted more time and money on producing new music instead of just reusing classic John Williams pieces? Another fail for this game, first a bad outdated engine and now can't even use proper music.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 9:20AM RogueJedi86 said

@Amusednow

How about how John Williams created original music for the first SW music instead of just reusing music from the Flash Gordon serials that SW was heavily inspired by? Another fail for the original SW movie, right?

In case the sarcasm wasn't evident, there is nothing wrong with original music, especially when pre-existing music may not fit all the varied new settings in this new product. And having played the beta last weekend, I can tell you that many conversations in the game reuse music from the movies if you MUST have movie music.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 12:30PM Taeniel said

@Amusednow Short version? The movies are maybe 12-15 hours long, if you include all the extended/remastered/prequel versions. And not all of it has music. TOR is much, much, much bigger than that. You'd get sick to death of the same themes over and over again if they used solely Williams' original score -- everything they've scored is based on the original themes and compositions, though. And as mentioned above they also incorporate the original themes when it's appropriate.

It's a nice thing they're doing for fans of the game, to release the music. I'm looking forward to a soundtrack release, too, because I think the music's that high caliber.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 6:23PM Aelon said

For some reason the movie-track music seems over the top and distracting to me and I think I'm going to be turning it down as well. It's just too much :/

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM