Posted: Dec 1st 2011 9:12PM Ehra said

Heh, I remember the uproar from when he first left. From what I recall hearing, people were upset to see him go because I guess lots of good changes were made under his watch. Don't play or pay much attention to STO so I wouldn't know personally. But if so, this is great news.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 4:30AM sortius said

• 1 heart
@Ehra The only people who bemoaned his leaving were kool-aid drinkers. He's the reason CO was so bad at launch & the reason STO hasn't really progressed.

No desire to play a game he's involved in, and I was actually excited to STO finally going F2P.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 9:15PM real65rcncom said

With hat in hand, no doubt.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 9:20PM Azules said

That's great to hear, Glad the guy's working on STO again, He clearly cares a lot about the game.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 10:34PM Yellowdancer said

@Azules

I don't think he's working on STO...sounds like he might be trying to help convert NWN to this MMO thingy.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 9:22PM Lucidus said

Why would he leave Zynga? Richard Garriott told me that social, facebook games were the future!!

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 12:11AM DustoMan said

@Lucidus Rumor is that Zynga isn't all unicorns and rainbows for the people that actually have to work there. I'm not surprised he bailed.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 8:04AM Lucidus said

@DustoMan About what I'd expect from a game company founded on stealing game designs.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 9:33PM aaradun said

Zynga bloated number are starting to show and all their new games are not basically duds right now so people like Stahl are jumping ship while they can

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 10:05PM mysecretid said

So very glad to hear this news. Daniel Stahl was the lead dev who led the game beyond the mess it was at launch.

If he comes back to STO in a creative role, there's hope for the future of that game yet.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 1:52AM JonBuck said

Wait, Dan left for Zynga? Really? I'm glad he came back! Hopefully that company didn't suck the soul out of him.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 10:51AM SnarlingWolf said

@JonBuck

There is a great thing in the executive corporate world. If you jump from company to company your salaray grows by leaps and bounds. So now he is back where he was a little while ago while undoubtly making a lot more money.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 2:10AM FrostPaw said

Dan "Give me more money"
Cryptic "No"
Dan "Fine, I'm off to Zynga"
Cryptic "Go on then"
.......
Cryptic "So, turns out now you count as a new employee we can afford you"
Dan "Cool"

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 4:10AM BubleFett said

Good to see that Dan finally saw the light.
I guess that grass was not greener on the other side.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 5:18AM (Unverified) said

I read it differently honestly. Dan was a lot of negative things in STO (as a lifetime sub holder, trust me) but I got the impression he left over principles. The game has completely veered into full on monetization since he left. I'm pretty sure he objected to what the new overlords were telling him to do and was given an ultimatum (if not outright forced to resign).

The community absolutely hates what is going on with the game right now. Long time kool-aid drinkers (like The Grand Nagus) have finally realized what many of us saw months and months ago and are now negative about the game. They are adding loads of grind, forcing you to play through missions you'd rather skip, not adding anything new for content, and forcing everyone (including "Gold subscribers") to the cash shop.

Looking at the info they've given, I estimate it will cost $30-$50 a month to achieve the same level of play as prior to the impending switch, on top of subscription fees. They are also gutting some of the best features of the game.

My only hope is that they begged Dan to come back and help them salvage the train wreck that it has become.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 5:37AM pcgneurotic said

@(Unverified)

What features are they gutting?

Posted: Dec 4th 2011 9:26PM UnSub said

@(Unverified) If Stahl left over principle on the matter of STO's monetisation, Zynga was an interesting choice to sign up with.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 10:40AM SiML said

What does the term Kool-aid drinker mean?, I'm not American.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 11:14AM Ehra said

@SiML

It refers to a cult who's members committed mass suicide by drinking koolaid laced with some kind of poison. It's basically meant to imply someone's blindly following authority, or aren't using critical thinking or whatever.

The term can also be used ironically to mock conspiracy theorist type people. Which make it even funnier when someone actually uses it seriously.

Posted: Dec 4th 2011 12:11PM Gryphmon said

@SiML

Kool-Aid is an American beverage that consists of flavored powder in packets that you add water and sugar to in order to drink.

The cult that Ehra references was the People's Temple and the mass suicide/murder was called the Jonestown Massacre. There are wikipedia articles on both the "Kool-Aid" phrase and the tragedy.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM