Posted: Dec 1st 2011 6:56PM Space Cobra said

Well, when you mentioned $1.00. that seemed cheap.

But then, you went into details and I dunno....maybe 2 grab bags for a dollar? Or 4 would be best.

I can see some players going for it, I may too, since I could afford to do so, but common sense would eventually stop me, especially if I got "unlucky" at those odds.

It may be a smart move, but I am thinking it has a toe (or foot) in the "scam area". ;P

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 6:58PM (Unverified) said

This is like asking if the lottery is a scam. Of course it is, but one that people are more than willing to fall into anyways.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:01PM Ripper McGee said

Grab bags are basically legalized gambling with real money for virtual items. As you've stated, there's a much better probability of getting an item that isn't worth the cash price paid than there is of getting an item worth far more than the price paid. For that reason, I'm against the entire feature.

Here's an example of a father in Wizard101 who gave his son 60k crowns only to see him waste 45k for 40 tries on the same treasury box (same concept): http://bit.ly/utIU1c Now, I argue that the Father should have been responsible enough to monitor how his child spent the crowns and/or pass them out in batches, but I really dislike the overall idea that this feature exists in a kids game in the first place (much less in any game). Like I said, it's gambling with real money.

That being said, if one was guaranteed to at least get an item worth the price paid, I'd probably have a more favorable attitude about it.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:04PM (Unverified) said

Paid for random lottery chances are one of the more blatantly greedy things to hit MMOs. Scam? No - you know upfront its random, and you (should) know the House always wins.

SWG did this with its trading card game, adding in the chance for rare cards that gave you otherwise unobtainable items in game. In fact, most of the new item/house/vehicles added to SWG since the TCG have only been available through random chance of buying packs.

These things, packs, bags, etc - combine the worst aspects of random drop loot and micro-transaction abuse (I'm not entirely against micro, but its generally gone the way of overt greed).

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:10PM ndessell said

that sounds just about right for grab bags, alot of junk and a few massive wins to bring the average return on investment to a slight loss. Or do you want the economy to snowball out of control.

Also you dont want armature statistions mathing out drop rates (because everyone is bad at stats).One wrong drop rate quoted on the forums and the QQ will run in rivers that would shame the Amazon.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:10PM goldenhornet said

Heh, City of Heroes announced almost exactly the same concept at the latest fan forum. Needless to say the forums went berserk as they are locking unique costume pieces and power enhancements into these "Super Packs".

Yes they are a scam, they are bundling up the crap consumables that no-one wants and putting the desirable costume pieces in as bait. Now instead of buying the costume piece you want for 40 points you can buy a chance to get a costume piece for 80 points, along with a bunch of stuff you don't want. :(

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:21PM (Unverified) said

@goldenhornet

That actually sounds more underhand than Cryptic (which is no mean feat)

Personally I don't see the point of the CO bags unless the stuff is very very expensive - why buy x number of chances to get something when you can just straight buy it? But CoH making the most desirable items in the game (i.e. unique costume pieces) solely available through this sort of scheme is out and out exploitation of their playerbase.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 8:15PM CitizenH said

@goldenhornet

"The forums went berserk" is an understatement.

They broadcast the player gathering live. Everyone who was there was there because they are a massive CoH fan.

The mood of the room was 100% positive bubbly excitement cheer about getting to meet the devs and learn about upcoming stuff in the game.

And then they announced the grab bags and it was like someone flipped a switch. Utter stunned silence. You couldn't have scripted a movie scene better. I swear one of the developers whispered the words "massive fail" to the marketing guy.

And the more they talked about it, the more upset people got.
The climate didn't really warm back up all the way after it for the rest of the broadcast either.

Yeah, it was a bad scene. Hopefully they learn from it.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 8:46PM Brianna Royce said

@CitizenH Nice sum up. The chatrooms during the summit were pretty ticked off too. Really hope Paragon rethinks that. :x

Posted: Dec 2nd 2011 11:27AM Utakata said

@CitizenH

So is that all they talked about...more ways to fleece our pockets?

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:13PM gandales said

My opinion
First, the article title is kind of offensive. Scamming denotes ill-intended attempt of deception.

Grab bags are not more than simple lottery bags that companies like gpotato, aeria and other f2p publishers have. While I also think that grab bag implementation has been kind of sloppy, I wouldn't call names especially offensive ones.

As any lottery the reward from buying a bag need to range from a value below its monetary value which tends to be the most common ones, to rare highly valuable rewards. I think people weren't too concern about service bags. The problem started when scourge and cursed costume pieces were attached only to the cursed bags. People were so desperate to get all pieces at once that look as desperate as people buying capsule figures from a street vendor machine.

The main problem is that in perspective those costume pieces are not that high reward to justify spending over 800cp. If they add as drop chance elements like dark speed, dark aura, ctp skins, etc, even with very low chance it would make those grab bags more attractive since there will be some hope of hitting the fat prize.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:16PM BubleFett said

Scam. Go to Las Vegas let's see how easy it is win the jack pot.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:29PM Scuffles said

Yes, yes they are a scam.....if

The items within can only be obtained through said grab bag.
If you can otherwise buy them through the store but have the option of taking a chance on a cheap bag.... then they are OK by me.

Then you get to abusive schemes where unscrupulous cash shop operators will lock everything under the sun into grab bag(s) exclusively. I have seen that and frankly I walked away from that F2P scamfest.

*people should never go into a grab bag expecting to get anything on the awesome end, generally when I indulged in a grab bag I didn't do so unless I was going to be happy with essentially anything in the bag.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:31PM Azules said

It's not a scam. It's an idiot tax. It's not morally reprehensible to offer something without any false statements. the chance is there, it's a gamble, that's the nature of it.

If stupid people were willing to keep giving me money, I wouldn't feel the slightest bit bad about taking it. They'd only end up trading it for magic beans anyway.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:35PM TheClaw said

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM

It was this scam that drove me away from Atlantica Online, despite it being one of the more entertaining MMOs I have played.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 7:53PM Mikx said

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 8:10PM Amlin said

Too often I see this in many online games, I don't support it one bit but you all would be surprised how many people buy into it.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 9:37PM (Unverified) said

DAT ASS

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 10:22PM Calen said

Gift of the Traveler. Nuff said.

People will buy any damn thing.

Now, wheter or not I would goto a store and buy a gift bag from a F2P store? Probably not.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 10:42PM (Unverified) said