Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:30PM (Unverified) said

You'd think after all these years the Lab would have some idea of what SL should be but... apparently not. Having failed to sell the idea of SL as a means to conduct business meetings/conferences/godknowswhat, they're now trying to make it a games platform. Really?

And yet again they're going into competition with inworld content creators. Just like they did with Bay City. Just like they did with Linden Homes.

SL is fascinating (at times) as a virtual society (albeit fascinating often in a so-horrible-I-can't-look-away sort of way but still...) and it's unparalleled as an innovator of user made content, but it's also a buggy, unoptimised and unoptimisable mess, with a perfomance that makes the most poorly made low rent MMOs in existence look awesome by comparison.

The learning curve is insane, land prices are extortionate and retention rates are tragic. LL need to sit down and make their world work properly and at least semi-reliably before they do anything else.

But no... they'll thrash around and try and reinvent themselves, again, whilst continuing to profit from the tier paying dreamers who still cling onto what it -could- be.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:43PM Aelon said

@(Unverified)

I wish I didn't agree with that.

(But I do :/ )

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:41PM Yukon Sam said

This is an excellent idea!

Too often it seems Linden Lab is operating in a vacuum, where they neither see nor understand the daily headaches experienced by content creators.

Let them create, operate and maintain their own projects in-world. Please, oh please! Let them see EXACTLY what we have to deal with.

And if those projects out-compete resident projects, EXCELLENT! That raises the bar and enhances the experience for everybody! Let's see some "best practice" examples out there. As long as we all have the same tools, it's all good.

Land wholesaling as a revenue model is doomed. They damned well better be looking at alternate ways to squeeze the residents for some money before they become Second Death.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 6:00AM pcgneurotic said

Every few years, I try to register an account and try SL out. And each time I've tried, I've been told that somehow I'm banned, blocked and blacklisted for having previously done terrible murders and rapes on the Internet. I really don't understand it myself, but oh well.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 4:16PM (Unverified) said

I honestly don't mind this that much. There are a ton of long-running rp sims that are a big draw to the game, both for veterans and new players. The majority of them have a scripted combat/game system in one form or another; but the problem is that getting together too many people with those scripts running bogs down the server to the point where whatever meter you're wearing is nonfunctional.

If this is a step towards streamlining and making such systems more viable, power to them. If this means that you can go to SL and pretty much build your own game system, then that is awesome.

Now if only they'd give us deformable mesh....