Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:06PM commonperson said

As a PC Gamer who cut his teeth in the world of Ultima I ask you, Lord British, Mister Garriott please, for the love of all that is holy and any potential respectability you may have had left in your sad "I wanna please my daddy and be an astronaut just like him" body with it's disgusting circa 1992 rat tailed hair SHUT THE HELL UP!

You are making your self look like an idiot. I'm a PC gamer and even I don't think this! You are dooming your self to being an absolute joke. You will never EVER get work EVER again at least not from a respectable company. I mean your new "project" has produced what? Oh yeah a Texas Hold'em game. THAT'S IT! Hardly the pinacle of software development.

Finally in closing, you're conjecture doesn't even make sense. "Social gaming" is going nowhere, it's the same balogna grandma buys a console crap that made the Wii a success. It's just never EVER going to be a market driving factor. It's the equivilant of Dinner Theatre to Broadway. I'm sorry just go and make your appologies to your father over the sad waste you've made of your life and try and preserve those millions from the Tabula Rasa debaucle as you'll need them as you're officially done.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:07PM Utakata said

Wishful thinking is wishful.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:11PM Space Cobra said

Moral of the article pictue?

Don't breath what Richard's breathing!

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:31PM Utakata said

@Space Cobra

Or as in the moral of this article:

Don't smoke what he's smoking either!

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:14PM Xilmar said

oh god

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:32PM GuardianLegend said

this guy hasn't made a good game in 20 years

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:40PM deejrandom said

The same arguments are pulled out at the end of every console cycle. And they will be pulled out at the beginning of the next console cycle. Look for "PCs are DEAD!" then. Right now though, consoles are dead.

Sheez. Does no one remember history?

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:09PM Daeths said

Yes, most games, not just MMOs, can be played on the computer and yes, often there better on a computer, but consoles have major advantages. I don't need to upgrade my console every year or two and can always get max performance and graphics. Consoles are also much cheaper then even a middle of a line comp (but you'll need a comp any ways). And finally, many games are outright better on a console. No way id ever want to play an Assassins creed on a comp. I also prefer most shooters and rpgs on consoles. The exception to the last is anything open world and modable like Fallout 3 or the TES games

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:10PM Rayko said

This is a such an unintelligent statement I am not even going to comment on it...wait...AH! Lord British, you win this round, well played sir.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:15PM Bramen said

Alright, I'm a bit nervous to throw my two cents in here because I can see where the popular opinion is but...

I don't understand the draw for console gaming. I can buy/build a pc that runs better. I can play any game that is not contracted to be only console. I can do anything on the internet with my pc and not with my xbox360. If I preferred the console controllers over mouse and keyboard I could buy one for my pc and use it. PC's can be upgraded with time, while Xbox's and PS2 will never be upgraded. And that last point is a problem. FFXI won't be getting a graphics update because of the PS2. Eventually Skyrim will fall victim to the Xbox360's limitations while we are all playing the next gen Xbox. Consoles are a device that can not do anything better than another device (PCs) already out there, yet, the other device can do more things that the console can't.

So why aren't they dieing? ...Maybe this was a better question for "ask Massively"

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:29PM Azules said

@Bramen Simply a question of budget. putting together a decent gaming rig is a lot more expensive than buying a console.

I know it can be done cost efficiently, but a lot of people aren't interested in those kind of costs just to play games. It's totally worth the investment, but it isn't for everyone. Horses for courses and all that.

Another up side to consoles is no grappling with DRM.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 12:17AM ghostwolves said

@Bramen the consoles' giant market share forces every major title to be multiplatform. this leads to the developers producing the title to run on the weakest console, instead of maximizing the PC.

this means i can buy RAGE on xbox and have it look almost as good on my 1080p HDTV as it would on my gaming PC. if this is the case with EVERY new game (and it is), why spend a huge amount of money on a gaming PC in the first place? what's on PC that i can't play on console for cheaper?

when a developer focuses JUST on the PC, we get things like crysis which left the current gen of consoles in the dust at the time and had console owners drooling. however, this isn't justifiable because the percentage of PC owners that own GAMING PCs is very small. most people just have a lame dell or gateway they bought at costco. it's not a profitable market, which is why you have to go multiplatform.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 10:43PM Bramen said

@ghostwolves
@Azules
Both are good arguments for the Console. I wasn't rooting for the console to die, I was wondering why it hasn't.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:20PM KDolo said

i was shocked when I read the bit about the artists he hired. He actually admitted there is someone out there that is better than him at something.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:26PM mietha said

MMOs period might not be dead, but the $15 a month ones are on their last legs. SW:TOR will do well, at first at least, but that will very likely be the last major one, other than WoW 2 or something like that. It is very unlikely that we will see another 10 million sub MMO. As for consoles: I don't think they will die, per se, but what a console is will RADICALLY change in the next 10-15 years.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:26PM Azules said

Garriott is a horses arse.

Nothing new here.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:28PM hami83 said

People mention PS3 and Xbox selling like crazy, but don't forget that those systems are just as much a multimedia machine as they are a gaming machine.

It's kind of at this point where (aside from Nintendo's hardware) what really constitutes as a video game console anymore.
I think the term itself may in fact already be dead, and is just being used by people who refuse to accept change or the future.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 4:51AM Space Cobra said

@hami83

Well, true, but gamers really didn't ask for those things. Sure, many have come to appreciate those things and many bought a PS3 because it had a Blu-Ray player (for cheap) as part of it, but this was pushed by corporations onto the end-user.

From my view, there is a clear plan to dominate the "go-to" or "all-in-one" network/device for home among Sony and MS.

But, you are right in that consoles have "grown" into things they were not in years previously. In a way, they are "media machines" now or "set-top streaming boxes" and this trend probably will continue, but it's a bit like anything now. One can and could buy all sorts of appliances that mixed 2 or 3 items into one product, but it still is essentially called by and used for the main product (like a Refrigerator with built-in TV).

Really, the primary reasons for consoles is still gaming. One can ignore the rest easily. I myself don't use Netflix or rent movies on it. I don't have Facebook connected with it and I can (and do) unplug it from the internet when I just want to play a game.

Mind you, I am probably a bit more extreme, but most use consoles for gaming and the other stuff, at this moment, is mainly "fluff".

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:29PM (Unverified) said

And why should I care? Is he relevant?

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:30PM TheClaw said

It's amusing how many people didn't read any further than "Richard Garriott predicting the death of consoles.." in the headline, and assumed that he was predicting that PC gaming was going to kill consoles.

That will never happen. Nobody is insane enough to even dream that PC gaming will ever overtake console gaming - not even Richard Garriott.

He was predicting that portable devices would wipe out consoles. That we would maybe get one more generation of consoles and then there would be no purpose for them, we would play games on smartphones and other mobile gadgets.

Why I Play: ArcheAge