Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:12AM ArcherAvatar said

That hits all the right "emotional buttons" for me personally... looking forward to hearing more "nuts n bolts" info on the game mechanics and systems.

Btw... did anyone else hear "I'm a grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody ending." Maybe it was just me.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:21AM FrostPaw said

Not impressed, and I'm a person that doesn't really need good graphics to enjoy playing a game.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:23AM Yellowdancer said

So, I get the feeling they removed the player created content tools from this game. Not sure what this game is anymore.

Trailers are supposed to show the strengths of a game. I have no idea why they made this trailer. I'm not a big D&D person it didn't seem D&D. I could be completely wrong. It had a liche and a dragon though. Forgotten realms have liches and dragons. I think I saw a Dark Elf in the tavern.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 1:02PM (Unverified) said

@Yellowdancer

Nope, the player created content tools are still fully intact.

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 1:38AM (Unverified) said

@Yellowdancer Trailers aren't necessarily suppose to show the strength of the game, it's suppose to be advertising to get people to play the game. I'm guessing this is only the first, a taste, a "hey look at us we're still alive"-trailer. Unfortunately if they wait to craft a perfect trailer they also lose a lot of time (since making perfect trailer takes time) that they could have been eliciting interest.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:34AM wahahabuh said

graphics seem decent enough, but a bit blurry. Might be because of the video quality though. And the characters look really floaty for some reason, not sure why. I like the IP so I'll probably keep this game in mind, but there's nothing in that trailer that really makes me want to play it.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:39AM Malagarr said

Cryptic has player created content tools in both STO and CO. If they follow suit with Neverwinter, they'll have me. If not, I'm not interested. While STO and CO were both good stand alone games, D&D has always been about DMs creating custom adventures for their parties. The very reason I don't play DDO is that there is nothing D&D about it. If Neverwinter gives me the ability to create adventures for my friends and I to enjoy together, Cryptic will have my business.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:46AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@Malagarr

STO and CO aren't browser based games.

This one is...

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 11:39AM BigAndShiny said

@(Unverified)
I dont think it is. Also, I saw this trailer on IGN 4 MONTHS AGO.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 11:42AM bobfish said

@(Unverified)

This isn't browser based and the website still lists content creation tools as a main feature.

It should also be noted that the content creation tools in STO were originally developed for NW and ported back to those games.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 2:51PM (Unverified) said

@Malagarr

Still no player-created content tools in CO I'm afraid.

Although I recognized a lot of animations from that game in the video above.

On a completely unrelated note, why do female undead always have ample bosoms? Do they charm their breasts to be resistant to decay while the rest rots away, or is silicon a part of D&D these days?

~V

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:40AM Strangeland said

Its only point of differentiation will be the DnD ruleset well-implemented in an MMO. Is that the plan? any word? If people can play 4th edition (no interest in a debate on that, please) characters in a faithful rendition of the 4ed ruleset they will capture some attention.

Otherwise its one more for the junk-pile of fantasy MMO's.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:26AM Snichy said

@Strangeland. Thats it exactly. Unless this has the features that make D&D/Neverwinter what it is, then it will just be another fantasy MMO among a sea of fantasy MMOs. Hopefully they will honour the IP fans and not just churn out the same shit and hope for a quick buck from the people that will buy it just for the "Neverwinter" name.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:44AM Tyrion10 said

Couple things wrong here, Cryptic being one of them. I loved the dark grit of the first ones, but this looks like kiddie version of Neverwinter from back in 2004.

Call us gamers picky, but this isn't going to cut it these days.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:56AM SnarlingWolf said

@Tyrion10

Yes. If you put Cryptic on anything at this point I will likely avoid it like the plague. They simply do not have a clue on how to make a good game let alone a good MMO.

Good to see they were so original that they used the "battle on a bridge" moment that every fantasy cut scene/movie/show/game has used to death. And of course then they went extra cliche with the dragon.

But naturally I don't expect Cryptic to be original. I expect them to ruin IPs and make horrible games. They did not disappoint.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 12:21PM aurickle said

@SnarlingWolf
Not entirely true. They know how to make a good game for 8 years ago. CoH still stands as a successful game despite the many limitations imposed on its growth by the core engine. In fact, since Cryptic left the game it's pretty remarkable what Paragon has done within the engine's limitations.

The problem is that in the time since CoH came out, Emmert and Cryptic have learned very little. CO was basically just CoH with a new skin. In fact if anything they went backwards. When CoH was in the early development phases they used a completely free-form power advancement system. The problem was that a lot of people were gimping themselves and a few were overpowered. So they created the archetypes. Then with CO, what did they do? Returned to a very free-form system that ultimately had enough problems they had to introduce preset builds.

This is basically the story of anything Cryptic does. Jack Emmert doesn't try to innovate and in fact often strangles any attempts by the people around him to do so. He has a vision for the ideal MMO that he keeps trying to realize and he refuses to listen to anyone who doesn't agree with that vision. Never mind that the vision is basically a decade old by this point and player expectations have changed dramatically during the interim. He still has the "Field of Dreams Syndrome" where he thinks that if he can build his perfect MMO players will flock to it and like it.

Put another way, he's trying to build a better mousetrap in a world populated with rats.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:15AM Critical Mass said

I stopped watching when I saw the dragon.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 12:53PM Equillian said

@Critical Mass

Posted: Dec 1st 2011 4:59PM (Unverified) said

@Critical Mass Yeah, the nerve of those people, including a dragon! You'd think it was part of the title.

Like those guys at Trion who put all those damn Rifts in their game.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:31AM Elikal said

Looked good IMO. It was just a teaser, so it was ok. I guess some just love to whine. Sorry.

Why I Play: ArcheAge