Posted: Nov 29th 2011 5:13PM SnarlingWolf said

This was the last MMO created that I truly enjoyed.

My list of MMOs that I found engrossing and extremely enjoyable are:

UO (100% launch original. Trammel and other changes pushed me out of that one)
Asheron's Call
Dark Age of Camelot

No other MMOs have ever fully held my attention for more than a couple of months.

Congrats DAoC. I might have to take a trip down memory lane and hop on in one of these days.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 6:06PM Boardwalker said

Still the best MMO imo, despite aging graphics and a difficult UI (by today's standards).

I haven't played another game that combines 3 factions, a "frontier/pvp" environment, and pvp consequences to the overall world (relics and control of DF) nearly as well. They were spot on with this approach, and it's surprising that more games haven't followed the same paradigm.

Keep on truckin' DAoC!

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 6:32PM (Unverified) said

STILL the best PvP in MMO history!!!

I've had many adventures in DAoC on all realms (no- I didn't X-realm either). Mordred was an awesome server and I miss my old school guild Sin Vida.

This game gives you a REASON to play. To fight for something and brag about it. The times I've laughed, cried and died are just to many to count with this game.

Best gaming memories are all with this game. I still have my 10 level 50s and renew every few months to run some Battlegrounds and get into the New Frontier action.

I'm still peeved that EA told Mythic to scrap DAoC 2 and do Warhammer Online instead. Oh well....

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 6:44PM Pingles said

I'll chime in, too. Best PvP ever.

Last PvP that I enjoyed.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 7:28PM scottsummer said

One of the best MMO EVER.
DAOC along with Shadowbane have the best PVP in MMO imo.
Miss the good old dayz.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 7:34PM Saker said

They should go ahead and make a DAoC II, keeping the basics of the original and not trying to mess with what works.

For those who would like to experience DAoC pretty much like it was back-in-the-day I recommend happily uthgard.net

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 11:41PM IzHaN said

@Saker Totally agree with you. A DAOC II, with the PvP basics and envoirement from DAOC I, but with techonlogy improvement, that would be a blast, and i would play once again, as many others i bet.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 7:42PM Ordegar said

If it went F2P, or Freemium, I would go back and play; but I tried it recently and the 10 other people on the server were all much higher level than me :P, so I'm not going to pay 10 bucks for that. F2P or fail.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 9:07PM deluxe2000 said

Best MMO ever. But holy crap Zissou could you tone down the marketing speak? He sounded like a corporate memo in this interview. Its not like people clicking on this link don't have a brain or a clue as to what DAOC is. Sounded exactly like the WAR producer letters with their fake ass enthusiasm and abundance of exclamation points. Look where that got WAR

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 11:09PM (Unverified) said

3 faction RvR with meaningful objectives worth seizing and defending. Will it ever be done (properly) again?

Maybe it is just me but DAoC's dated UI makes it difficult to get back into playing again -- or recruit friends. If Mythic could completely redo it, just the UI (not even the in-game maps, models and graphics), would people return? I know that *I* would give it another try.

Long live Dark Age of Camelot!

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 3:39AM Space Cobra said

@(Unverified)

You know, that comment he made about "3 times as hard, 3 times the work" made me wince. It may be true, but that doesn't mean it ain't fun or players don't understand; I mean, why have a whole league of teams? Why not just pair it down to "One team for the East side of the country and one team representing the West side"? It would be boring, IMO, to only have to deal with two teams and no "upstarts". It is also hard to balance players on a particular server, so servers tend to find one side more lopsided in numbers than the other.

This particular comment does not foster other games that may look into 3 faction PvP. Sure, luckily, we have at least 2 games coming out, but it's good to *encourage* such systems.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 11:39PM IzHaN said

I just registered on this place to leave my comment.

I've played lot of games since i quitted DAOC and before it. In fact, the only thing that made me quit DAOC it was cause the game was getting old and the developers didn't seem interested on keeping it alive. They also destroyed the old icons, the old graphics, it wasn't about that really.

People who played this game, knows for sure, that there won't be any other game that beats DAOC in terms of community, fun and PVP!. The PVP of DAOC is by far the best ever! To be able to pick from numerous classes in 3 faction was so crazy, classes that no other games offers nowdays.

I played back on 2004, until 2007. I am a Spanish Player, and yet tho i didnt have so many idea about English, i didn't care, the game was really so fun, the game was so popular that it had even an impact on my country when there was only the USA version. And never stopped playing with the USA folks cause i think they are the best community.

I miss DAOC, i wish they didn't destroy it with all those changes. I agree with the above poster, i managed to get into the trial program to check DAOC once again, hoping there was enough folks around in Mordred, my old and so loved server. It's dead in there, someone got to explain me the whole situation. I don't really like the new Graphics, the UI to be honest, needs a whole revamp, the camera panning, its not comfortable at all, the 'new graphics' are not even improved at all, so i would rather have the old ones. Anyways my point is, just guys, please, redo the UI, do some marketing job, bring people back to the realms, make the UI easier to handle just like nowday games, the PVP doesn't needs to be touched, it's perfect the way it is. Leave the classes as they are. I know LOADS of people would so love to be back into this game (including myself) in fact i would return if there was people actually playing on it.

Long live Dark Age of Camelot! Best PvP & MMO forever!

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 3:52AM Ogged said

Ah, DAoC ... good times. My first MMO and the one I return to regularly.

I reactivated earlier this month to revisit my chars on Gaheris and while *I* enjoy DAoC, I believe that DAoC isn't the game for today's MMO generation :(

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 4:30AM Dogsbody said

DAoC was and always will be the standard by which I judge all other MMOs. I won't talk about how amazing this game was the first few years when the devs cared (who can't help but think about Mark Jacobs, the CEO of Mythic, later bragging that he didn't haven't internet access from home and hadn't played his own game in years). Anyone who played DAoC in the early days remembers the glory.

But I have to point out that Zissu's comments on 3-realm RvR showcases just how out of touch the leadership remains with the design and dynamics of their own game. "How many sports do you see with more than two teams playing at once? We work from what we know..."

DAoC's three realm system is about BALANCE. It's vital for a good open world PvP game. Steve: How many sports teams allow uneven numbers of players on the two opposing sides? Three realms is a way of self-correcting imbalances in numbers and skill since the two weaker factions will naturally fight off the stronger third. It's not a perfect system, but it is a proven one.

For the love of all things good and smackish, someone other than Mythic please make DAoC 2--or another good three faction RvR game!

And congrats on 10 years, DAoC. You're a tough old dog to have survived such neglect for so long. For the realm!

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 4:49AM (Unverified) said

"we recently announced Wrath of Heroes which is a free-to-play game based on some of the best of Warhammer Online"

Oh, I bet your cheeks were burning when you said that!

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:28AM (Unverified) said

I doubt they can attract many new players without a major overhaul of the basics, or going f2p. You have to wonder how many subs are left and how they pay to run the game.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:42AM Dammy said

Pity they didn't ask him about Dawn of Camelot (DAoC2) that was canned in favor of WarHammer's development. Other questions would have been good would be when a new updated gfx engine/client was going to be released. One of the biggest issues of the current client, it's single threaded so dual/quad/hex/ cores will not help game play, it's all running on a single core and only a single core. WarHammer's client doesn't suffer from this, it can use available cores.

WoW Archivist: Epics