Posted: Nov 29th 2011 12:32PM Space Cobra said

This is a personal thing with me ("just me"), but I don't really like an "all-in-one-launcher". Specifically, I don't like Launchers that do it all. I admit to being an old-fogey, but gimme my old launchers.

I preferred and used the old CoH launcher for the longest while until NCSoft forced the issue. Sometimes I can get around it (as I did with SWG and some other games), but most of the time, the launcher streams some stupidity about other games (that I know about but don't care about) and other in-company ads.

Basically, I like one-launcher per game. The all-in-one launcher, to me, seems a bit "cheap", especially when I buy only one specific game, box or digital, and just want to launch into that game. (I just want to keep things separate.)

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 3:03PM Jef Reahard said

@Space Cobra

I'm in the same boat. I enjoyed having separate launchers for EQ/SWG/VG/DCUO, etc., and they mostly had very clean links or flash rotations relating only to that game.

Maybe this will too, I'm not complaining yet, but I expect it to be an all-in-one thing with big ads for SOE's other games plus the cash shop. Marketing is becoming next to impossible to avoid.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 12:36PM Yasue said

Though I don't care if they change the launcher, I foresee much forum rage after tomorrows patch.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 1:01PM Khalus said

Sounds and looks good to me, even though I don't play any SOE games currently.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 2:57PM SkuzBukit said

I've recently tried out the game & had such a lot of trouble with the stupid Flash based patcher because it was asking for 10.3 but I already had 11.

I liked the old EQ & EQII launchers, hell when I had a station pass the station launcher was pretty decent, hopefully the new version isn't such a ball-ache.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 3:18PM Yellowdancer said

@SkuzBukit

If I'm not mistaken, you don't have to use the all-in-one launcher for their games. My desktop has a separate launcher for EQ2X, DCUO and EQ1. I also have the all in one launcher but don't use it.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 3:39PM Seffrid said

Effectively this changes the Live launchpad into the F2P launchpad, and as such Live players lose all the additional funcionality of their present launchpad - things like character select, friends list status, out-of-game chat, patch notes without opening a browser etc. In return they gain a massive increase in the amount of F2P-oriented advertising.

Not surprisingly, the Live paying customers don't like it...

Plus, as is inevitably the case with SOE, this was never announced in advance, no consultation was held over what features players would like to retain/gain or hate to lose, and it hasn't been tested by any players.

Difficult to see how this will turn out tomorrow other than badly.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 5:03PM Fatetaker said

I like seeing an all in one launcher but it needs to be functional and I felt that the Station launcher was one of the best. It will be a shame if they don't port over those features....

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 5:04PM Jef Reahard said

Updated the post with a link to EQ2Wire. Feldon put up a pretty good summary (written by a dev) of what to expect.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 8:10PM (Unverified) said

Considering what a pain it has always been to me, I have high hopes.... particularly as the new king of "Baby's First MMO", TOR, has driven me back to EQ2.

Why I Play: ArcheAge