Posted: Nov 29th 2011 12:14PM (Unverified) said

@Mynsc

Why? LucasArts did not create the world of TOR - Bioware did. TOR has zippity do dah to do with the Star Wars world of the movies. Sure, basic ideas like Sith v. Jedi, lightsabers, the Force, etc. are drawn from the films, so LA certainly does have rights here. But the characters, the world, the society, etc., were all created by Bioware in KOTOR under license to LA.

That said, knowing how predatory LA is in its business dealings, I would check my wallet frequently if I were an EA executive charged with dealing with them.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 12:34PM silver001 said

@(Unverified) Ya, but they are still using LA world. Without it the game wouldn't exist. I doubt EA is playing them a lot ( i would estimate between 10-30% of the profit, this going by the cost of licensing unreal engine and how much apple and FB charge), but WoW on the other hand, blizzard is getting 100% of the profits. So that is how I saw it.

I mean hate the guy, but he is a business man and while his intented might have been to draw focus off SwTor, there is some truth to his statement.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 12:34PM Mynsc said

@(Unverified)

Oh please, you are hopelessly lost in the irrational world of fanboyism if you're not willing to admit even this. It's sad when I see people completely losing their ability to think, just to blindly defend something.

Trying to downplay the fact that the game has a HUGE franchise behind is ridiculous. The SW in front of TOR doesn't only bring "basic like sith vs jedi, force..." lol, it brings the devotion of millions of fans, the attention of the media and an immense sandbox for Bioware to build quests and stories from. But yeah, feel free to ignore all this just to defend your game.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 12:36PM Snichy said

@(Unverified). The point is, SWTOR wouldnt be nearly as popular and successful if it was a generic SciFi MMO. Its Lucas who owns the rights to that name which will probably double (if not triple) the profit made on this game just because it has Star Wars in the title and has light sabres.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 1:07PM hereafter said

@Mynsc

Innovation in an ultimately stale experience doesn't amount to much. Rift is good game, but not a very interesting IP.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 1:32PM (Unverified) said

@Mynsc

LOL what game am I defending? Certainly not TOR, a game I have ZERO interest in playing. Indeed, I suspect TOR will be fabulously successful with the KOTOR crowd, but something of a letdown for SW fans whose fanboism is based on the movies, because TOR will not be the mmo they are looking for.

Give mad props to LA for SW, the fact is that Bioware created KOTOR and KOTOR is what TOR is based on. Bioware deserves as much credit (or blame) for that as LA.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 1:37PM Lucidus said

@Snichy If it was a Mass Effect MMO, it would be as popular, if not more-so due to lack of fan baggage.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 1:50PM Rayko said

@Mynsc

There is NO innovation in Rift. Rifts are PQs from Warhammer. The Matrix online had an even more customizable class and ability trees. They may have ( arguably) improved some features but nothing here is new.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 2:16PM deejrandom said

@Snichy I actually disagree. Mainly because Bioware has shown it can make a really successful scifi franchise without the Star Wars brand.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 3:28PM dudemanjac said

@Snichy Probably would have been a Mass Effect mmo.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 5:51PM aaradun said

@silver001 what unreal engine, this game doesn't use unreal engine. it use hero engine which cost almost nothing.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 12:06PM Sorithal said

What Kotick is really saying: I'm scared. Blizzard, make more expansions so I can feel secure with my money pile at night!

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 12:20PM (Unverified) said

@Sorithal

Or:

Every single franchise in my stable other than WoW and CoD has failed miserably over the past year and I've lost a boatload of money (cleverly concealed by CoD and WoW so it appears that EA is financially healthy). Please don't leave WoW for TOR, guys. Look, a brand new $25 horse you can buy!! Come back!!

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 12:33PM Lucidus said

@(Unverified) Sparkle Pandas only $40!

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 12:11PM smartstep said

Kotick is like parasite on gaming industry. Well of course he's just manifestation of what shareholders want, but still :/

Brr he's disgusting.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 1:03PM Macabre 13 said

@smartstep

He's also what gamers want...

Yearly CoD reskins don't break sales records *every single time* because it's just the shareholders buying them...

As long as the masses keep voting with their wallets, we will have endless reskins and "monsters" like Kotick.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 5:29PM smartstep said

@Macabre 13

Well guess he's a personification of 'parting fool with his money'.

Saddest thing is I don't see this trend breaking in any foresable future.
Bah I am as a gamer served with medicore mmorpg's and most of games in general. Sequels, reskins, etc because most people want this kind of things.

Meh :/

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 9:30PM Kalex716 said

@Macabre 13

truer words never been spoken...

It pains me to see these games consistantly sell well, because it means innovation isn't worth it afterall. But I guess thats just the way all major media/mainstream anything in the entertainment industry tends to go.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 12:24PM (Unverified) said

1. He knows nothing of the deal to know how profitable it is for EA
2. He said it always ends up to Lucas's benefit...well yeah otherwise he wouldn't agree to a deal, but EA wouldn't agree to it unless they had a benefit
3. If he's done business with Lucas for a long time, he either knows for a fact it's profitable, or he's an idiot and stays in business with someone for a long time without any benefit
4. Activision Blizzard licenses WoW out to other companies in Asia and other places, so obviously he knows that licensing deals can work out for other companies in the MMO world

Sounds like someone is either a) kind of retarded or b) a bit scared about the competition

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 1:00PM Budukahn said

@(Unverified)

Much as I personally despise Mr Kotick, I can't deny he has reasonable grounds for scepticism. Given his position, he is probably one of the few people on the planet who has any real idea just how much money a triple AAA MMO costs to produce and run.

Obviously, as head of the ActivisionBlizzard fun eating Hydra, he's not likely to come out in support for a rivals game, but there are some serious grounds for concern. The sheer amount of money that has to be made in order to turn a profit must be immense when you consider not just development costs, but also deployment of the game servers and infrastructure and the support centres in Europe and North America.

That's not going to be cheap, and even with the phenomenal pre-orders reported to have been made for the game, if those players do not stay, EA will very quickly find itself running a lot of expensive hardware that is surplus to requirements.

Given my personal experiance with the game itself, I'm not sure just how long term viable SW:TOR is. Certainly during my brief foray into the Thanksgiving beta I was impressed enough that my fiance and I went from sitting on the sidelines to casting our vote for a pre-order, but I do wonder just how many months entertainment I will get out of the game. Personally I imagine three months before I've done all that I care to and quit the game.

It's a very well made Themepark, but like most themeparks, it seems to lack a certain hook that would keep me from jumping ship to the next big thing to come along. It's this very same lack of hook that has made it so easy for me to put down Rift, my current title, to try TOR. Maybe there's hidden depth that I haven't yet discovered, but I doubt it.

So yes, it'll sell loads of copies and get probably millions of players on release - but will they stay? And that's the most important thing when determining if this will be a profit or loss for EA. Lucas already has his cut, and he'll keep getting it so long as the servers run. He doesn't need to do anything other than nod his head whenever somebody wants to change something.

The burden though is on EA and Bioware. They need to not only sell huge numbers of boxes, but they need to turn those sales into ongoing subscriptions. That's where I think the weakness is. I'm just not sure if there's more than a few months gaming here for most people, and I don't think that will be enough.