Posted: Nov 29th 2011 6:24PM IveDefected said

Qoute - "Wilson states that "if you make something, you can't just copy. You have to infuse it with your own personality, your own interests, your own opinions, your own desires. If you don't, then it will be soulless"

I find this statement funny. Having played the beta (which i thoroughly enjoy)
Im finding it startlingly similar to Torchlight (and yes i understand the irony).

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 6:28PM Vanir said

@IveDefected

That's so weird! I find Torchlight startlingly similar to Diablo 2... craziness!

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 3:43AM Zetsuei said

@Vanir Whoosh, right over your head. If you can't see the irony that he is pointing out, then it shows some nice ignorance on your part. FYI: Torchlight never said they didn't aim to be like Diablo 2. Hell, people who made D2 made Torchlight. Crazy, right?

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 10:42AM SnarlingWolf said

@IveDefected

I find that statement humorous in relation to anything Blizzard. When was the last time they didn't copy something? That is what they do.

Hey, when is Ghost being released?

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 6:35PM IveDefected said

No no i get you...like i said, i understand the irony of my statement. I just find his statement funny. I guess, with D3, i was hoping for something a little less derivative?

Dont get me wrong though. Ive enjoyed D3 (what little they have let me play) and intend on picking it up.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 9:24PM Kynmarcher said

@IveDefected Well one thing you need to keep in mind is that when you choose to make a game for a certain genre, you can only change so much. When I played Torchlight for the first time, I thought I was playing a more cartooned version of Diablo especially considering that both games have more or less the exact same classes, those being as we know, a melee fighter, a ranged shooter and a mage.

Also keep in mind that we haven't even seen a demo release, so outside of screenshots there really isn't much that the masses have been able to get their hands on. Lets just wait until a demo is released before we start slamming the game for copy pasting shall we?

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 6:38PM Vanir said

Yea, I love the game thus far. It's far more polished that D1 or D2 and I've only been able to experience like the first 3rd of Act 1.

But, I think what they're saying is that they are basing the game on a previous IP which could be considered "copying". But, for it to be Diablo 3, they have to give it individuality apart from the others.

It needs to breathe on it's own instead of a dopleganger of a previous game.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 7:38PM KDolo said

Jay Wilson: "Well, we realized our MMO was a dinosaur and, since we can't reproduce the perfect storm that lead to the success of WoW, we decided to make Diablo 3."

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 7:49PM Khalus said

I'm banking on Feb 29th, 2012 as the release date...

...but earlier would be even better~!

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 8:57PM Mystal said

It's weird to read his "soulless" statement, because while I agree with him wholeheartedly, what I've seen of the game looks pretty soulless. The beta portion of Act 1 basically looks like Diablo 2, dumbed down. It looks pretty black, grey and brown, and not really more colorful.

Plus, it looks like they've changed/removed some pretty cool abilities like Locust Swarm (got replaced with Plague or something that's not as cool).

D3 looked really sweet in the first demo they released, and it looks a lot less interesting now, with the very linear progression and the insistence on dark dark dark dark.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 9:07PM FrostPaw said

Diablo 3 is an mmo?

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 9:26PM Kynmarcher said

@FrostPaw No it's a dungeon crawler, however it requires you to be online to play it. No offline component.

In the future they may make a Diablo MMO but for now it's simply staying true to the first two games as far as genre is concerned.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 2:25AM Amlin said

@FrostPaw

D3 has coop play if that's what you're asking.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 1:57AM Mikx said

D3 has some nice ideas like the rune system, but if this actually manages to be new I'd be surprised. Starcraft 2 is so familiar its painful.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 3:06AM Space Cobra said

IMO, the article is sad to read, especially with Kotick on my mind.

So many things strike me as "corporate schill" but in the worst way of he doesn't even know he is a schill. Being a fan and making a new iteration is nice and it can be done, but I am sensing he is believing his own hype and not a member of the team can stop it, because they believe it, too. I mean, I am only on the outside-lookijng-in, but I've seen this sort of thing before in other media.

What's worse, he doesn't really get the subtle influences that an Activision is providing and seems to be genuinely fooled into thinking this is somehow better for the game.

The game will probably do well and it may even have some nice stories of players making money with it. I just got to wonder about the long-run of the game. They think they can sustain it by themselves (with their own in-house mods?). Not sure this will happen. With Starcraft 2 and even some troubles over in WoW, I am seeing a future where people are just getting tired of Blizzard because they've become so obviously "corporate" and they themselves do not see it. This is only the natural order of corporations as it is hard to maintain your "edge" and they start to "play it safe" in terms of profits and control over their products.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 9:11AM (Unverified) said

I still do not understand why it is taking them so damned long to release this game. I know they want to "get it right" but come on. How many years since D2?

There needs to be a middle-ground between churning out incomplete crap every year that needs extensive patching to fix, and taking 10 years between iterations.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM