Posted: Nov 28th 2011 11:43AM (Unverified) said

The little quips about Dreamfall makes me sad. I want the next chapter of The Longest Journey already.

Ahem. That aside, I'd have to say I've got a mixed reaction to the interview. The answers I read had some interesting ideas but a bunch were trying to mar the truth. For instance when talking about group composition, they try to skirt around the holy trinity but basically admit it'll be needed with some variations put in place. I don't mind the holy trinity, but it'd be nice if they came off more frank about their product. Yeah I know, you have to put everything in the best light when marketing, blah blah blah.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 11:53AM fallwind said

"So the Polaris, the first dungeon, is fairly standard. But later on we might say you need one and a half healers, half a DPS. Half a tank. Instead of the traditional class-based way, with the holy trinity, we go deeper and look what the group can bring in total."

This warms my heart... SOMETHING NEW! No more will you need exactly 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps for every... single... fight! More options in group layout means more options in fight mechanics. You can have a fight where all 5 of you need to heal one dude, another where there is an NPC tank you need to bring as much DPS as you can muster, or another where you need two or three tanks to keep mobs separated else they oneshot you... all in one dungeon.

Options, it's a good thing :)

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 2:14PM DarkWalker said

@fallwind

I don't think they should do completely arbitrary compositions like 1 tank, 4 healers. Too confusing, and goes against the whole "create your own class" motif.

Still, depending on how they do those instances, it could be really nice. For example, all those "halfs" don't add to the group size, this will leave some extra room for customization (it would also allow a fine-tuned group to down content with less than the "correct" number of players, but I don't really see this as a negative; it rewards dedication and group coordination).

Another interesting thought is that the system seems to be tuned to the group capabilities. With the half tank, one and half healer example, it might mean that a group of 5 DPSers could do it if one swapped a couple skills for tank skills, and the rest added some off-healing capability; if this is the case, for the most part there should be no need for dedicated roles, meaning absurdly more freedom for the players.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 11:55AM Snichy said

After reading the interview, I came away thinking that despite all the talk of "no levels", "no holy-trinity" and "no dungeon-finder tool", they are all present but in slightly different forms. To be honest, I don't mind that at all and am still really looking forward to the game as my one worry about it was that it would be TOO different and fail as a result of the non-MMO features. I just hope it is different enough to differentiate it from WoW, TOR etc.

I was also interested/unhappy to note that no raids would be included at release, and their general avoidance of talking about endgame. I am a PvE player and just hope that endgame isn't all about crafting or PvP as although I will take my time and complete as much of this 200 hours of content, I still want there to be something waiting for me once it is finished and gear progression/raiding is what I expect (as not many if any MMOs have come up with sufficient alternatives to raiding at endgame)

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 1:59PM Valdur said

@Snichy

I must admit that I have mixed feelings after reading this interview too but I'll wait until they give us more information.

I will certainly be in no hurry to reach end game the fastest way possible because I want to enjoy the world,its mysteries, plots and conspiracies.I don't see myself being raid ready after a month.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 3:53PM Kalex716 said

@Snichy

You bring up a great point, one that sadly hasn't been answered by anyone at all yet....

The raiding routine, if broken down is exactlly what? Its designed content, that requires a group of people to problem solve together, and is ultimately incentivized accordingly based on the difficulties in question. Thats it in a nutshell, but all we ever get anymore is oversized bosses that require people to jump through hoops, and end up with loot in the end. This is getting kind of old now, and the strategies required to solve the problems are routinely conventionalized, published, and employed by the community at larget which ultimately trivializes the initial intent of create complex problems for users to solve with their given features, skills, talents etc.

Basically what I'm saying is, someone has to design a game that has more emergent, and randomized types of high end raid content that really demands unique experiences from its players to make it fresh again. IMO, old school EQ and WoW style raids deserve to die. We need new high end game content.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 10:41AM (Unverified) said

@Kalex716

One thing I am hopeful for in the future that some game will come out that will adopt the SWG skill box approach. Being limited to 250 total skill points gave a person lots of flexibility to custom make a character. Of course there were cookie cutter templates for farming and PvP. But you were given a chance to pick up what skills/abilities you wanted from each each of the choices you had in a given path. I made totally different templates that the standard mix.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 1:20PM chum said

As much as I'd like to write this game off due to its' proposed business model, the more I hear about it the more interested I get. From the more open class system to the connection between the game world and the real world to a setting that hasn't been done to death, I honestly hope they pull it off. Of course, I'll be really happy if they drop the cash shop but I'm going to try to keep an open mind on this one.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 7:18PM Valkesh said

@chum
I love Ragnar Tornquist's work, and I liked the concept of this game. But I'm tried of devs trying to milk players, let alone pull this horseshit double dipping model. This game is dead to me unless they go one way or the other, and as a f2p title, I don't see the milking getting any better.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 1:36PM smartstep said

• 1 heart
"I believe World of Warcraft uses a very heavy hand to guide players. It says, 'pick up this stuff here, go and do these missions in this place here, do all the quests then go to this place here and do the quests there,'"

All nice & dandy. SHAME though that you're as greedy in business model as Blizzard is after years of game running (and beign still biggest western mmo). + stating that you'll increase cash shop as time passes.

So no thanks no. Even if just for principles I won't support double dipping strategy like that.

gg Funcom :/

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 2:33PM (Unverified) said

@smartstep You say the same thing over and over again. Yawn.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 2:49PM Braiks said

@smartstep You sound extremely dedicated to your campaign.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 2:56PM Kalex716 said

@smartstep

Come on you dunce...

The least important thing to talk about during a games development is how its going to be monetized... That discussion is so old and tired already... We need to be encouraging developers to make great games, that are worth it in the end (whatever model they decide to go with), not the contrary.

We talk about this crap way too much and all it does is promote this idea that the games in question need to be like X, because they charge us Y, or Z, because they cost us Q.

Lame, lame, lame... I want a GREAT game to play, and in the end, if its awesome, we can start to talking about what makes sense to pay for it.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 3:54PM fallwind said

@smartstep yeah, those dang greedy devs, trying to get more money to pay for the increases in rent, gas, food and all the other things that have gone up in price... unlike subs.

if sub prices had gone up as much as gas you would be paying close to $50 a month.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 1:37PM SnarlingWolf said

Just going to say the dude in that picture needs some longer shorts.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 1:38PM Mikx said

Fighting ghastly horrors in black underwear/short shorts. Does life get any better than that?

That farmer in the background holding the assault rifle is pretty good too.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 2:22PM DarkWalker said

@Mikx
There are different gear slots for cosmetic items, and for stats. Any player can look the way he/she wants.
Just the way I love :)

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 1:39PM (Unverified) said

I'd loved to try this, but I refuse to play a game that will charge me a subscription and THEN have a cash shop too.

Utter greed.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 2:20PM DarkWalker said

@(Unverified)
I fear you will be left with just the F2P, then. And perhaps GW2.
WoW has a cash shop.
I would bet TOR will get one, either at launch or during the first 6 months - the way bonus content was treated in the Digital Deluxe and the Collector's Edition just scream of a future cash shop.
GW2 and TSW already said a long time ago they will have a cash shop.
I'm not sure if Rift has a proper cash shop, but it's already offering packs with a mount and a few other extras.
In the end, I can't think of any of the big MMOs that does not have a cash shop.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 2:30PM Nerves said

@(Unverified)

You can rage against the system all you want, but it won't change the fact that this IS the new direction for MMOs. I'm not terribly keen on it either, as I know how fast 'convenience' can slide into 'advantage'.